Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Original Message

Subject: Filing Error
Author: nmauzy Date: 3/31/00 3:33 PM Number: 33140
I did my taxes by hand -- and then I had this brilliant idea to send them electronically through HR Block -- I answered all their questions, but didn't realize that they already added the state tax payment for 1999 on the deductions page. So I ended up doubling my state tax deduction. I received my refund today, about $400 more than it should have been.

What form do I need to file to correct my error?


An amended 1049 for the year in question is the usual way to correct a mistake in either direction.

Sarah, who wishes the 7,000 she already paid in "Income" taxes was enough.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.