Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Osteolytic lesions typically are not demonstrated by bone scan.

I probably overstated this, and checked some literature to be more certain. Here is a link that suggests 50% of lytic lesions in multiple myeloma are visualized by bone scan.

http://www.auntminnie.com/index.aspx?sec=ser&sub=def&...

For myeloma or very lytic aggressive lesions, however, bone scan is less sensitive. Multiple myeloma lesions are detected about 50% of the time on bone scan, as compared to an 80% detection on skeletal survey. Because of this, skeletal scintigraphy is probably not the procedure of choice for evaluating the presence of skeletal involvement in patients with multiple myeloma or lymphoma.

Also, literature I tried to dig up suggests that lytic lesions in breast cancer are often demonstrated by bone scan 70% of the time or greater when compared to CT standard. In comparison to FDG or F-18 PET scans, bone scan is inferior in detection of osteolytic lesions. FDG PET in particular more sensitive in osteolytic lesions, and less sensitive to osteoblastic lesions. F-18 PET bone scan similar to general bone scan, but spatial resolution much better, accounting for superior detection of both osteoblastic and osteoclastic lesions.

Here is the link for reference regarding lesion phenotype sensitivity by specific imaging modality in 84 patients, I just can't copy and paste key points.

http://books.google.com/books?id=dbm3jZ9LhggC&pg=PA401&a...
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement