UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: NigelGlitter Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25025  
Subject: OT Date: 11/29/2012 1:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
We never sweated my oldest. She could have gone to college anywhere, only applied to 3, got into all 3, and took her first choice.

My youngest is scary bright, so he'll end up wherever he wants to go.

My middle one, however, is creative, involved in politics and had more community service hours last year as a junior than anyone else in the HS. Needless to say, she's a new standard as she finishes out the home stretch. She coaches middle school girls in lax and field hockey. She stays after school twice a week to work with the special needs kids. She does special oylmpics. She does habitat for humanity. She collects food and clothing for the poor. Her writing is over the top, and she has that eye for a photograph that is uncanny.

BUT, she can't do math to save her life, and her academics and SAT scores reflected that. We were sweating bullets for her. Being book ended by two very bright siblings has an effect, and the self-esteem fallout from rejections could have been ugly.

First response back, and I'm the happiest dad in the world. Her second choice, but not only into Penn State, but main campus and the college of communications.

I'm very, very proud of her and hope she realizes self-worth is not one dimensional. Whatever else happens from here will be manageable, as first choice was only a little bit of a preference, and I doubt that will come with direct placement into the school of her chosen major.

Aw right. Got that out of my system. No more gushing. I'm back to being a non PC, obnoxious posting avatar.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 10talents Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23950 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/29/2012 1:56 PM
Recommendations: 0
What is lax?

Author: 10talents Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23951 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/29/2012 1:57 PM
Oh!! And congratulations. I have about 11 more years before my kids start applying for college. I'm sure hoping they get scholarships!!!

Author: MacNugget Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23952 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/29/2012 2:33 PM
What is lax?

Guessing: Lacrosse

Author: NigelGlitter Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23953 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/29/2012 3:59 PM
Lacrosse.

Author: NigelGlitter Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23954 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/29/2012 4:07 PM
I have about 11 more years before my kids start applying for college. I'm sure hoping they get scholarships!!!

My oldest got a scholarship that pays a little over 25% of the cost, so I figure we get a free year.

I'll have one in grad school and 2 in undergrad 3 years from now. We stayed poor from the start, but the kids all have sizable college funds that makes it cheaper once they get in than it is when they're at home. The trust pays for everything for the nine months my oldest is away at school.

My youngest still scares me, though. His is a little smaller than the other two, and he's thinking of going to some pretty expensive places. Even with all the planning, we may still be scratching a little ass by the time it's all done.

Enjoy it while you can. You blink and they're gone most of the year.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23955 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/29/2012 4:14 PM
First response back, and I'm the happiest dad in the world. Her second choice, but not only into Penn State,
but main campus and the college of communications.

I'm very, very proud of her and hope she realizes self-worth is not one dimensional. Whatever else happens from here will be manageable, as first choice was only a little bit of a preference, and I doubt that will come with direct placement into the school of her chosen major.

how very very cool Congrats!

( but I don't understand the bolded bit

Author: NigelGlitter Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23957 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/29/2012 4:36 PM
but I don't understand the bolded bit

Penn State has multiple campuses around the state. Main campus is the "real" school, the rest are smaller, often more commuter oriented for kids who don't want to go away, or couldn't get into main campus and hope they can transfer after a year.

The university also has a number of separate colleges under it's roof (nursing, communications), that are under the PSU umbrella, but issue the diploma. They take a smaller percent of incoming freshman directly into the separate colleges, and those who are not quite up to snuff are either rejected outright, or offered acceptance in the liberal arts program, and then transfer into the college in a year or two. Application has to be made to the separate colleges directly.

Long story short, she'll still have to take all her liberal arts requirements to meet graduation standards, but instead of getting a BA in liberal arts, or hoping to make the communications cut later, she's already in.

Author: bdhinton Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23958 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/29/2012 4:47 PM
she's already in

awesome!

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23959 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/29/2012 5:17 PM
My youngest still scares me, though. His is a little smaller than the other two, and he's thinking of going to some pretty expensive places. Even with all the planning, we may still be scratching a little ass by the time it's all done.

Already told 1poorkid that I can cover in-state tuition, but anything else she will have to get herself a scholarship. I simply can't do $15K or more per semester. She's mentioned Stanford, Johns Hopkins, and some others. Great...if she gets a full ride.

She hasn't applied anywhere yet. She's a junior. National Honor Society. She stopped playing soccer because she feared she wouldn't have enough study time (so she says...I sometimes wonder how much monitoring Twitter feeds and watching Glee had to do with it!). IMO, she'd have a better shot at a scholarship if she was an athlete as well as a scholar.

She's already receiving brochures from schools, I assume from her taking the PSAT.

1poorguy

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23960 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/29/2012 5:19 PM
...hoping to make the communications cut later, she's already in.

That's excellent! Glad it's working out for her.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23961 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/29/2012 5:47 PM
Recommendations: 1
Penn State has multiple campuses around the state. Main campus is the "real" school, the rest are smaller, often more commuter oriented for kids who don't want to go away, or couldn't get into main campus and hope they can transfer after a year.

interesting.
sounds sort of like the U.Calif system except we have different names for each of the campuses (rather than a 'main') -- different specialties, different entrance requirements //3 hundred years ago, i wanted to go to Berkeley, but only got in to UCLA //

Author: benjd25 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23962 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/29/2012 5:50 PM
Congrats, poopyhead!

Author: NigelGlitter Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23966 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/29/2012 7:53 PM
She's mentioned Stanford, Johns Hopkins, and some others.

That's two. Duke is on the short list, too. Does she look like Mom? They may cross paths, but he's a sophomore.

He's still playing soccer, both HS and club. He thinks it will help, but he already seems to feel no way he's doing a sport and going where he's thinking (wanted to be a surgeon since he was in fifth grade. What ever happened to fireman?).

I sometimes wonder how much monitoring Twitter feeds and watching Glee had to do with it!

Fortunately for us, he goes BSC if he's not burning off 5,000 calories a day running and working out. His grades actually suffer when he's not getting a couple hours a day of physical activity. Makes me wonder what will serve him best at the next level.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23969 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/30/2012 11:28 AM
Does she look like Mom?

There are several similarities, yes. Not as many as you'd expect. 1poorlady's side of the family is odd in this respect. She and her sister don't look much alike (to me), and neither look like their mother, and 1poorkid is a bit different from all of them also. Every now and then, if the lighting is right and hair is in a particular configuration I'll see a sort of "flash" of commonality. Other times, not at all.

But 1pk does look very Asian. No mistaking that.

I hope the kids do cross paths. I think it would be awesome if she made it to one of the "biggies". Though recently she's been concerned about quality of education. She's thinking the first 2 years at a community college will afford her a better education than a 4-yr university (during the first two years).

She has a point. Undergrads are scum at any research university. The president of my university (when I was in grad school) said the university would run better without them. (As you might imagine, that was big news on campus and lots of folks were not happy.) During the first two years at a big school you end up in lecture halls with 500 other students, probably never get to ask the professor anything at all, and likely come away with minimal understanding of the material. Such is the nature of a lecture hall.

I'm somewhat torn here because I really was one-poor-guy, so that's exactly what I did. Two years at a local college (something like $130 per semester then), transferred credits to ASU to get my bachelor's (at about $700/sem). But I can't help but think that if she gets a diploma from Stanford that will carry a lot more weight when she goes to med school (which is still her plan, apparently). Justified or not, I think that's how it is. And I don't think she can get much in the way scholarships if she goes to a CC for the first two years. But coming out of high school she might get a full ride (if she can keep up her performance, and her place in the NHS).

Fortunately for us, he goes BSC if he's not burning off 5,000 calories a day running and working out.

1poorlady and I have noticed she's not as happy as she was when she was playing (HS and club also). Even though she was busier as a result of playing. But she denies it. I'm trying to figure out how to get her back into it without being too heavy-handed.

1poorguy

Author: NigelGlitter Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23970 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/30/2012 1:38 PM
Recommendations: 2
But 1pk does look very Asian. No mistaking that.

Every Filipino woman I know is good looking.

My concern was she might look like you. I've always pictured you like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d7/Wally_Dilbert....

1poorlady and I have noticed she's not as happy as she was when she was playing (HS and club also). Even though she was busier as a result of playing. But she denies it. I'm trying to figure out how to get her back into it without being too heavy-handed.

Good luck with that. We rarely can accomplish more than a nudge in a slightly different direction. Except when the son discovered the joys of beer in ninth grade. Then his choices were find a new group of friends or become a Momma and Poppas boy who just stayed around the house all the time.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23971 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/30/2012 2:02 PM
My concern was she might look like you.

No, she doesn't. Brown hair, brown eyes, definitely- not-white skin (not really dark, either...typical Hawaiian/Polynesian/Filipino coloring).

No, I don't look like Wally. I have all my hair, and I never wear a tie.

Good luck with that. We rarely can accomplish more than a nudge in a slightly different direction.

Yeah. Same here. I'm not above bribery. :-)

Except when the son discovered the joys of beer in ninth grade.

Hmmm. Haven't had that problem. When in Europe a few years ago she tried a few sips here and there (it's legal over there). Some she liked, some she didn't. She occasionally wants a sip of her mom's if it's either one she's never tried, or one she knows she likes. But she hasn't ever shown the desire to have one to herself. More of a connoisseur than a beer-hound. Now root beer is another matter...especially the "good ones" (she loved one from Red Ribbon bottling that we got in LA, but it isn't available in Phx). She'll happily guzzle that.

1poorguy

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23972 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/30/2012 4:45 PM
My concern was she might look like you. I've always pictured you like this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d7/Wally_Dilbert....

nah... he lives in Arizona ..they wear bolo ties

(>;

Author: NigelGlitter Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23974 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/30/2012 5:16 PM
Recommendations: 7
No, I don't look like Wally. I have all my hair, and I never wear a tie.

Ah! Ah! I didn't read that! Don't destroy the illusion. My whole TMF world will collapse.

Ben:
http://blog.talentmadehere.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/ro...

ox:
http://prints.encore-editions.com/500/0/cigar-label-print-07...

Anthony:
http://www.thebudgetingtool.com/wp-content/uploads/funny-Bil...

Adrian:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7253/7118764209_b1f03e9cd6.jpg...

fmnh:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_W46hzqZ9Dis/TKY-4GHHI9I/AAAAAAAABY...

Bryan:
http://quizilla.teennick.com/user_images/K/KI/KIL/KILLERKEYB...

mcnugget:
http://rogergastman.com/wp-content/uploads/ronald-mcdonald.j...

centromere:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d9/Old_farme...

Please let me live in my little delusional world.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23975 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/30/2012 5:23 PM
Sorry...but I'm probably a bit closer to this guy (though my hair is several shades darker...I do have the specs, though).

http://www.baldocomics.com/images/foxtrot.jpg

Author: bdhinton Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23976 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/30/2012 6:05 PM
Bryan:

I was starting to feel left out. Now, I only wish centromere were still around ;-)

Author: benjd25 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23977 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/30/2012 6:20 PM
Recommendations: 3
Awesome. Let me add:

NigelGlitter:
http://www.littlethingsmatter.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/fil...

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23978 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/30/2012 6:51 PM
close.. but I wear glasses

Author: NigelGlitter Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23979 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/30/2012 7:04 PM
No way dude. I uploaded a real picture of me to my profile.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23980 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 11/30/2012 11:43 PM
No way dude. I uploaded a real picture of me to my profile.

i did too...
but it was on an Apple website that got abandoned.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pdxil7cnivzzm56/yngBear.jpg

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23981 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 12/2/2012 12:35 AM
"Please let me live in my little delusional world."

Lol! You got me pretty good. The puzzled expression, yep, that's me. Reminded me of a picture of my daughter at a few months old.

9 years before we send her to college. She's doing great. Expect she will have her choice. Two younger brothers, hmmm. A bit early to tell. Oldest has read all the national geographic animal books in the library. Recently changed his goal from paleontologist to zoologist. No firemen here either.

My goal is to fully fund 4 years of college for each kid. After that we'll have to see.

It's a wonderful life.

Author: MacNugget Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23982 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 12/2/2012 12:47 AM
mcnugget: http://rogergastman.com/wp-content/uploads/ronald-mcdonald.j...

I quit smoking.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23983 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 12/2/2012 2:49 AM
My goal is to fully fund 4 years of college for each kid.

In-state?

Some of the out-of-state tuitions are exorbitant. And then there are the Stanfords of the world...

Author: NigelGlitter Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23984 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 12/2/2012 9:16 AM
In-state?

Some of the out-of-state tuitions are exorbitant. And then there are the Stanfords of the world...

$40-$45K a year is about the load we're seeing out of state. Yes, there are also plenty of $60K's.

Where we made distinctions to the kids was in the value. Columbia at $65K is worth what's being spent. The private college about 90 minutes from here where at least 20 kids a year end up going at $55K is not.

My family paid for me and after it was all done, Dad smiled and said "The monkey's on your back now. You can only pay me back by making sure you send my grand kids to college."

We've told our three the same. Mom and I will figure it out. Both undergrad and grad school. But, you owe us to go out, be productive, and make sure you give your kids the same thing.

I see at as very Darwinian.

Hey, now the thread isn't OT.

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23986 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 12/3/2012 10:02 AM
My goal is to fully fund 4 years of college for each kid.

In-state?

I estimate a good in state school at $30K/year all in. Stanford is $60K/year. (In today's $$).

I don't see that a Stanford education experience is 2x better.

It's a ways off for us. Right now I'd say we will cover the good state school for each kid. In 9 years when she looks at me with those big blue eyes and says "but daddy, I really MUST go to Stanford...", my resolve might change. Of course, the blue eyes don't work on momma at all.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23987 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 12/3/2012 5:27 PM
I estimate a good in state school at $30K/year all in. Stanford is $60K/year. (In today's $$).

I don't see that a Stanford education experience is 2x better.

not 2x but maybe 1.73 ?

..... it's not solely about the education and depends what you want to do.

smaller classes with "world class" profs (research-wise, not necessarily teacher-wise)

going to a Stanford is a plus if applying for grad school
can be a plus when applying for job
can mean meeting/knowing/competing with the best and the brightest
[ the kids who built Google, e.g.
my cousin went to Harvard and likes to point out that just from his *class*: for Nobel Prizes, a US VP, and two Oscar winners ]

can be useful at parties: people will 'assume' you're smart, rich, or arrogant (two of the smartest people i've known went to Stanford: a law school buddy and his wife; two of the most arrogant people i've known went to Harvard; i don't know any rich people)

... and easy for ME to say since i don't have kids to put through school <g>

*disclosure: i live about 2 miles from Stanford, have been in their hospital, and they rejected my applications 4 times

Author: NigelGlitter Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23988 of 25025
Subject: Re: OT Date: 12/3/2012 7:49 PM
going to a Stanford is a plus if applying for grad school
can be a plus when applying for job
can mean meeting/knowing/competing with the best and the brightest

There does appear to be a correlation between sheepskin and wages initially. And I would imagine that carries through, start higher stay higher.

Networking with alum is also a value. It opens doors that one would have to take time to reach otherwise. Got a cousin who attended Wharton Business School and landed a great job in the sports industry pretty much because the owner went there, too (not that he didn't deserve it, but at 26 he got the shot).

... and easy for ME to say since i don't have kids to put through school <g>

If they earn it, and want to go, we'll sort it. It's not the way for everyone, but it was what I was given and I still "owe."

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement