UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: OrmontUS Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 449315  
Subject: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/13/2012 11:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
I'm looking at the pile of portable electronic stuff which I currently use for one purpose or another and there is a clear overlap to the point of almost silly redundancy.

This pile includes (one or more of):

1) Laptop (11" screen) (with camera, external bluetooth GPS, SIM socket)
2) 7" tablet (with GPS and camera)
3) 10" tablet (with GPS and camera), SIM socket
4) Kindle (tablet with live SIM and WiFi)
5) GPS
6) Smartphone (with GPS and camera)
7) Camera with GPS and compass
8) Wrist watch with compass

Clearly there is a better way this could be handled.

So here's my thoughts (to a certain extent this depends on how much of a toy's battery goes to the CPU and how much goes to the screen):

If we build the CPU into a package similar to the old belt mounted "beeper" (say the size of a pack of cigarettes), this would allow us to reduce the weight and bulk of the I/o device. This CPU could communicate to the I/O device(s) by a wireless connection (similar to Bluetooth, but higher bandwidth) using a thin client model (only passing screen updates and "keystrokes" similar to let's say PC Anywhere or LogontomyPC).

The CPU would be sort of a combination of the cloud based model that Microsoft/Apple/Google are trying to force and the more powerful laptop model. It could contain, for example, the CPU chip, a 1.8" SSD, 4GB ram, the graphics processor, a SIM socket for 4G, WiFi modem (this might also work for the I/O function?), I/O wireless, GPS, a few legacy ports to use desktop peripherals and a battery.

This would allow the choice of screen size to be tied to the task or the user's preference. One might (probably would) own a number of screen sizes (and keyboards or other input/output devices like smart eyeglasses) which would be compatible (and which could migrate to newer model CPU's similar to how we can currently keep keyboards or monitors if we upgrade PC's).

A typical screen would include a battery, a graphics processor only powerful enough to display the signals sent from the CPU, an I/O processor for the touchscreen and a wireless transceiver matched to the CPU. This would allow it to be much thinner (probably in the 2-3mm range) and lighter than those found on tablets today.

With the possible exception of high end photography (because of the limitations on tiny lenses - though this could be addressed in other ways, such as building the lens alongside a pair of "smart eyeglasses"), this would allow all of the capabilities of the above pile of stuff to be built into a small unit carried on one's belt (or in one's purse) and a screen-I/O unit matched to the application.

The downside of the above design is twofold:

1) It is equipment efficient and would mean far fewer gadgets would be sold by the manufacturer (or at least cheaper "commodity ones would be sold), so profits would be reduced

2) Its flexibility allows the user to move outside the portion of the cloud that the manufacturer wants you focused on (Apple-iTunes (no memory expansion slot on tablets, locked in source for software), Microsoft surface-Microsoft Store (locked-in source), Android Nexus - Google store (to the extent that their new tablet does not have a memory expansion slot available), Kindle - limited expandability and locked in software source.

This is obviously a fight between the manufacturer's trying to maintain profitability at the expense of flexibility and the end users who, not being able to dictate the devices which would best suit them, are reduced to the trivial jailbreaks and rooting to get at least a bit of independence.

Jeff
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement