UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: OrmontUS Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 449747  
Subject: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/13/2012 11:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
I'm looking at the pile of portable electronic stuff which I currently use for one purpose or another and there is a clear overlap to the point of almost silly redundancy.

This pile includes (one or more of):

1) Laptop (11" screen) (with camera, external bluetooth GPS, SIM socket)
2) 7" tablet (with GPS and camera)
3) 10" tablet (with GPS and camera), SIM socket
4) Kindle (tablet with live SIM and WiFi)
5) GPS
6) Smartphone (with GPS and camera)
7) Camera with GPS and compass
8) Wrist watch with compass

Clearly there is a better way this could be handled.

So here's my thoughts (to a certain extent this depends on how much of a toy's battery goes to the CPU and how much goes to the screen):

If we build the CPU into a package similar to the old belt mounted "beeper" (say the size of a pack of cigarettes), this would allow us to reduce the weight and bulk of the I/o device. This CPU could communicate to the I/O device(s) by a wireless connection (similar to Bluetooth, but higher bandwidth) using a thin client model (only passing screen updates and "keystrokes" similar to let's say PC Anywhere or LogontomyPC).

The CPU would be sort of a combination of the cloud based model that Microsoft/Apple/Google are trying to force and the more powerful laptop model. It could contain, for example, the CPU chip, a 1.8" SSD, 4GB ram, the graphics processor, a SIM socket for 4G, WiFi modem (this might also work for the I/O function?), I/O wireless, GPS, a few legacy ports to use desktop peripherals and a battery.

This would allow the choice of screen size to be tied to the task or the user's preference. One might (probably would) own a number of screen sizes (and keyboards or other input/output devices like smart eyeglasses) which would be compatible (and which could migrate to newer model CPU's similar to how we can currently keep keyboards or monitors if we upgrade PC's).

A typical screen would include a battery, a graphics processor only powerful enough to display the signals sent from the CPU, an I/O processor for the touchscreen and a wireless transceiver matched to the CPU. This would allow it to be much thinner (probably in the 2-3mm range) and lighter than those found on tablets today.

With the possible exception of high end photography (because of the limitations on tiny lenses - though this could be addressed in other ways, such as building the lens alongside a pair of "smart eyeglasses"), this would allow all of the capabilities of the above pile of stuff to be built into a small unit carried on one's belt (or in one's purse) and a screen-I/O unit matched to the application.

The downside of the above design is twofold:

1) It is equipment efficient and would mean far fewer gadgets would be sold by the manufacturer (or at least cheaper "commodity ones would be sold), so profits would be reduced

2) Its flexibility allows the user to move outside the portion of the cloud that the manufacturer wants you focused on (Apple-iTunes (no memory expansion slot on tablets, locked in source for software), Microsoft surface-Microsoft Store (locked-in source), Android Nexus - Google store (to the extent that their new tablet does not have a memory expansion slot available), Kindle - limited expandability and locked in software source.

This is obviously a fight between the manufacturer's trying to maintain profitability at the expense of flexibility and the end users who, not being able to dictate the devices which would best suit them, are reduced to the trivial jailbreaks and rooting to get at least a bit of independence.

Jeff
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411264 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/14/2012 12:44 AM
Recommendations: 1
I'm looking at the pile of portable electronic stuff which I currently use for one purpose or another and there is a clear overlap to the point of almost silly redundancy.

As I take full advantage of being a batchelor, all of casa del Steve looks like a man cave. Problem is, as new technology comes out, I get another box, but my cheapskate nature prevents me tossing obsolete items until they have been run to exhaustion. My 1998 model DVD player checked out last winter, and a 1990 CD player is about to join it, unless I can find the spot where the drawer drive is slipping. My three analog TVs, all over 12 years old, continue to soldier on however.

eBay has been a great help in disposing of the obsolete but working, like Laserdisc players, and mistakes, like the combo cassette/CD device that made player #3 of each format.

My suspicion is that Jeff also could lose half his stuff without really losing any capability.

Steve...really need to get rid of an obsolete surround sound receiver before I find a place to squeeze it into the living room

Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411272 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/14/2012 5:36 AM
Recommendations: 0
mistakes, like the combo cassette/CD device

I have a

Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411273 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/14/2012 5:38 AM
mistakes, like the combo cassette/CD device

We have a cassette tape and a VCR video of our 1984 Wedding, both of which need to be converted to digital format.

Anyone got an idea of how I could get these "priceless/irreplaceable" items converted into a format that would allow us to relive the past?

-Hound

;-)

Author: OrmontUS Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411277 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/14/2012 8:37 AM
Recommendations: 2
Forgot to mention that that tethering is simply a means to try to accomplish what I formalized (by trying to use the communications ability of one device with the CPU and I/O of another.

Steve is right. While I take redundant small electron gadgets when I travel (in case one gets broken or stolen) the OP was written because of the frustration with looking at all the CPU's, memory and batteries when all I'm interested in is differences in software and the form factor of the input output devices.

What we have right now is the equivalent of buying a new desktop PC each time we want a new monitor or keyboard.

Jeff

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411280 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/14/2012 9:24 AM
While I take redundant small electron gadgets when I travel

Jeff

Perhaps you should consider picking up one of these things to carry your extra stuff when you go on these extended cruises?

**** absolutely not signed ****

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/other-yacht-support-yacht-2033...

'My Other Yacht Is a Support-Yacht'

By Robert Frank | CNBC – Thu, Dec 6, 2012 3:33 PM EST.

The arms race in mega-yachts has reached a new level, with the launch of the "mega support-yacht."

The support yacht "Sea Axe."Support yachts are for people who have outgrown their mega-yachts and need more space for their helicopters, speedboats, launches and submarines. The support yacht acts as a floating garage, trailing alongside the main yacht with all of the owner's oversized "toys."

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411287 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/14/2012 10:24 AM
We have a cassette tape and a VCR video of our 1984 Wedding, both of which need to be converted to digital format.

Anyone got an idea of how I could get these "priceless/irreplaceable" items converted into a format that would allow us to relive the past?

Many photo/video places offer this as a service. Not very expensive. Look for "videotape to DVD" (or CD) conversion" or similar.

Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411288 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/14/2012 10:38 AM
Found a cassette/VCR to digital conversion service. I'm going to call them today to see about getting it done in time for a Christmas present for DW.

She can be sentimental at times.

I need the Brownie Points to show I can be sensitive, too. She accuses me of being a robot.

I'm not a robot, but I never really cry or get too emotional (except when thinking about the evil banksters). Injustice and theft can bring out the emotional side of me.

Oh, and I have a soft spot for kittens, puppies and babies, too. Thank goodness we don't have any of those around to care for now.

Just an aggravating cat that we tolerate for pest/varmint control purposes.

;-)

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411290 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/14/2012 10:47 AM

Easy, homemade VHS tapes are not copy protected. Play the tape in a VCR and dub to a DVD recorder. You might want to make multiple copies, and don't use the cheapest media you can find. Protect them from heat and light.

I had a trialware DVD-R error detection program a while back, and ran some of my media to see how they performed. The best of the crop seemed to be Sony, with some TDK +Rs from Ritek in Taiwan a close second. Maxell third. Verbatum was significantly worse. The Office Depot media, made by CMC was a lot worse, and the Office Max (no longer sold), made by Fuji, was stunningly bad.

The geeks on the DVD user forums rave about Taiyo Yuden for reliability and stability.

http://www.amazon.com/Taiyo-Yuden-Silver-Thermal-Lacquer/pro...

The thing is, if your computer does not have A/V inputs to feed the signal to it's DVD burner, you would be looking for a burner that was designed for a home video system, and stand alone DVD burners are almost extinct.

The first burner I had was a Panasonic. While it recorded fine, and I liked the way the menus worked, the disks came out of the machine very hot. Given that the media uses a heat sensitive organic dye, I don't like the idea of putting them in a machine that bakes them, so I dumped the Panasonic for a couple VCR/DVD combos, one from Toshiba, one from Magnavox, both made by Funai, which have cooling fans.

Steve

Author: rharmelink Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411296 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/14/2012 11:47 AM
"Support yachts are for people who have outgrown their mega-yachts and need more space for their helicopters, speedboats, launches and submarines. The support yacht acts as a floating garage, trailing alongside the main yacht with all of the owner's oversized "toys."

One of my favorite zombie books is Voyage of the Dead. In it, the main character wins a large lottery prize and retrofits a large ferry and converts it into a cruise ship. He has it stocked with helicopters, speedboats, launches, and submarines. Even a small plane. And some labs, because a relative is interested in marine biology. He also has fully stocked gun lockers, with some "extra" items.

He happens to be on this cruise ship with a bunch of friends, including his old military cohorts, when the zombie apocalypse hits the mainland. :)

I mentioned this article to the author of the book. I bet he gets a kick out of it.

Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411299 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/14/2012 12:32 PM
Recommendations: 3
If this concept isn't already patented, you should patent it. If you don't manufacture it (a good use of your non-traveling time), other manufacturers would have to license the concept from you.

Given your skills, not too hard to make a working mock-up for patent use.
Wendy

Author: albaby1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411301 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/14/2012 12:58 PM
At least for the wristwatch, the idea of just wearing the I/O while the 'guts' of the device reside elsewhere is already hitting the market:

http://getpebble.com/

...among others.

Albaby

Author: mschmit Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411328 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/14/2012 7:50 PM
Maybe you have too much stuff...maybe too many tablets.
But you seem to be concerned, somehow, that you are buying too many replicated things, especially apparent is the GPS.

IMO, this is the wrong way to think about it. The processing power to receive a GPS signal and record your coordinates is trivial. And why not have that in every device (if it makes sense). This is a seperate idea from a mapping and navigation device which might be in a stand alone device or in any other portable device, such as a phone, tablet, etc. And you left out your car's electronics as well.

This is a bit like saying that there are many things you do in a day that need a knife, so you should have one and carry it everywhere on your belt. Then when you need to cut something you have your knife.
Another view is that where ever you go you should have a cutting device that is appropriate for the job and the place...when at lunch you might have a table knife, at dinner a steak knife, in the shop a power saw, next to the sewing machine a seam ripper and scissors, etc.

For some things it is also just far more energy efficient to send the signal a few mm to a creen than to broadcast it (security issues and all) a few feet or more to another device.

All that said it would be convenient to have a few of these devices more integrated together. But having them all rely on one central CPU also means one failure or low battery shuts them all off.

Mike

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411333 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/14/2012 10:32 PM
This is a bit like saying that there are many things you do in a day that need a knife, so you should have one and carry it everywhere on your belt. Then when you need to cut something you have your knife.

That would be a Swiss Army Knife like the Tradesman or the Serrated Master ( http://www.wengerna.com/do-it-yourself ) which I carry every day (even sawed a 2X4 in half with the Master one day) but find that I use the toothpick, scissors and tweezers more often than any of the knife blades.

Unfortunately parts of Jeff's journey will be by air and nowadays you can't fly with even a tiny knife like this one which I was repeatedly required to put in stowed baggage when I flew a few years ago:
http://www.wengerna.com/esquire-16120

Author: OrmontUS Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411339 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/15/2012 1:03 AM
Recommendations: 4
I think the point is that all of these functions are easily handled by the same core processor, RAM, SSD, etc. Nowadays, this is small and most of the bulk is the battery (and possibly a heat sink). Even the most powerful functions would currently fit in a package which would easily fit in a box around the size of a cigarette pack (or smaller) and weigh about 3 ounces. This is not conjecture, but based on a six year old Sony miniature "laptop" that I own:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/16/sony-gets-official-on-new...

In the context of the PC as a "system", it is the function that a device is used for which dictates the I/O to a certain extent, but nowadays it is generally whatever is convenient for the user. A given screen size is a choice of where a device is going to be used rather than whether it's attached to a phone, tablet, laptop, GPS or whatever.

Mike mentioned redundancy. Well, owning two screens would be common, so the I/O function would generally be redundant. Nothing prevents owning a second CPU module (it would still cost far less than the pile of stuff I mentioned in the OP) not to mention taking up less space. When I travel nowadays, I carry a spare battery for each gadget (in some cases with separate chargers), as well as making sure each device has another which can act as a backup (the reason I take this batch of stuff with me) in a pinch. Even so, with enough equipment damage, even the best setup will hit a rough spot (though I now carry enough fire power to survive the trashing of my laptop that knocked me out for a while last summer).

This is not necessarily akin to a Swiss Army Knife where not all the function are optimal, but rather an industrial robot where you only buy the fancy part once, but different tools can be brought into play and their use is, in each case, equivalent to a dedicated individual tool.

I guess, if no one builds this sort of system soon, I'll be forced to myself (as the way it's done today is just dumb - at least from the standpoint of the user, though not necessarily the manufacturers).

Jeff
(Built a six axis CNC milling machine with a rotary tool changer for the fun of it a few years ago :-)

Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411344 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/15/2012 7:00 AM
That would be a Swiss Army Knife like the Tradesman or the Serrated Master ( http://www.wengerna.com/do-it-yourself ) which I carry every day (even sawed a 2X4 in half with the Master one day) but find that I use the toothpick, scissors and tweezers more often than any of the knife blades.
... be by air and nowadays you can't fly with even a tiny knife like this one

DDave,

DW and I were flying from Zurich to the US on September 9, 2001, after buying a several Swiss Army Knives in Lucerne on September 7, 2001. I'll never forget it because she bought me a Rolex at Bucherer later the same day.

When the lovely Swiss lady in the security line at the airport asked us whether we were carrying weapons in our hand baggage, we told her we had a bunch of Swiss Army Knives we were bringing home for gift souvenirs.

She said "if we stopped everyone carrying those knives as Swiss souvenirs, no one would ever make it out of the country," laughed, and waved us through without further adieu.

Of course, everyone knows what happened a couple of days later, on September 11.

Everything associated with travel changed after that.

:-o

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411347 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/15/2012 9:00 AM
DW and I were flying from Zurich to the US on September 9, 2001, after buying a several Swiss Army Knives in Lucerne on September 7, 2001.

I received a special addition for Y2K "Swiss Millennium" certificate # 0049 as a gift for Y2K from a contractor old friend working in Zurich we were visiting for Y2K. I'm not much of a pocket knife person so the thing has sat in my drawer in its original very nice container ever since. Your post actually prompted me to go look at it for the first time in years.

Tim

Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411356 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/15/2012 12:58 PM
...Y2K "Swiss Millennium" certificate # 0049...

I'm sure that collectors find such items of great interest.

Now that you've pulled it out of the drawer, if you'd like to re-gift it, I'll volunteer to accept it graciously.

;-)

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411360 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/15/2012 1:29 PM
>>...Y2K "Swiss Millennium" certificate # 0049...<<

I'm sure that collectors find such items of great interest.

You would be amazed at what people buy. In all the years I have put stuff on eBay, the item that generated the most interest is the one of three paintings of the Pink Panther, on black velvet. Original 70s kitsch.

Probably the thing least likely to be in demand tho, are mass produced things that were originally sold as "collectable", because everyone that bought them has them stashed in a drawer.

Stuff that was typically used to destruction, and thus rare now, would more likely garner some interest. I happened to catch an ep of "Leave it to Beaver" a week ago, where Wally's dilemma was what to do with his original, complete '32 Ford coupe, that he bought for $25. He ended up parting some of it out, which netted enough to recover his $25, pay the junkyard owner $10 to haul the rest of it away, and have about $4 left over.

What would Wally's $25 junker bring today?

In most price guides, the coupe shows between $12,000 to $20,000 for the #3 to #2 cars, the kind that would be worth the cost of restoration. That said, price guides are notoriously low, and even with the depressed economy taking the steam out of collector car sales, most intact '32s would probably bring higher money.

http://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=19&a...

But in 1963, a 32 was just another old clunker. When I was in college in the 70s, a '65 Mustang was just a cheap old car.

Steve

Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411362 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/15/2012 1:39 PM
Probably the thing least likely to be in demand tho, are mass produced things that were originally sold as "collectable", because everyone that bought them has them stashed in a drawer.

Steve,

Thanks for reminding us of this immutable characteristic of collecting.

One of the things that has kept the resale price of Plymouth/Chrysler Prowlers relatively low or stable through the years is the fact that almost everyone who bought one kept it in pristine condition as a "collectible" car and very few have ever been used as daily drivers.

The fact that a high percentage of those built are still in showroom condition has kept them from appreciating as an investment.

I always liked the look of them, though.

;-)

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411370 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/15/2012 3:08 PM
Now that you've pulled it out of the drawer, if you'd like to re-gift it, I'll volunteer to accept it graciously.

;-)

Yeah no problem, just drive up and get it, watch out for the snow on the roads at the moment. }};-D

I'm not a collector of stuff, unfortunately I'm married to one. }};-()
She still has a large box of beanies in our storage. }};-(

Any <you do know what snow is don't you?> mouse

Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411375 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/15/2012 3:52 PM
...a large box of beanies in our storage...

Oh my word. We've got some of those, too.

We finally got rid of the last of the 1980's-era Cabbage Patch kids about a year ago.

http://www.cabbagepatchkids.com/

I'm still holding onto my first-edition 1987 in-the-original-package Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures: Leonardo, Raphael, Donatello & Michelangelo.

...In January 1987, [creators of the "turtles] visited the offices of Playmates Toys Inc, a small California toy company who wished to expand into the action figure market. Development initiated with a creative team of companies and individuals...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles

I'm sorry to say that the only "collectible" on which I ever made a really decent ROI (500%+) was a wrestler Chris Benoit action figure which turned out to be rare.

I've got some relatively unusual (and expensive) Cartoon Network memorabilia that I hope may be worth a bit more someday. Other than that and an old "ALF" stuffed figure, I'm swearing off collectibles.

;-)

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411383 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/15/2012 6:20 PM
She said "if we stopped everyone carrying those knives as Swiss souvenirs, no one would ever make it out of the country," laughed, and waved us through without further adieu.

Of course, everyone knows what happened a couple of days later, on September 11.

I'll never forget the evening before September 11th. Jay Leno regularly does a bit entitled "Headlines" wherein he shows ads, headlines and inappropriately captioned pictures printed in local newspapers across the country.

Back when we owned the surplus store I regularly ran an ad in the local Army base newspaper offering "Genuine Imitation" jungle boots at a super low price. The bit of humor was intended to make the ad stand out in people's memories and, hopefully, tell a friend. Someone (not me) had cut out one of the ads and sent it to Leno who showed my ad on Monday September 10th 2001.

I was ecstatic and went to sleep that night planning to add the words "As Seen On National TV" to the ad as a bit of additional humor.

The next morning I watched "live" as the second plane crashed into the South Tower of the World Trade Center and got a case of selective amnesia. I didn't recall seeing the ad on Leno's show until years later when something jogged my memory.

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411391 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/15/2012 7:55 PM
I've got some relatively unusual (and expensive) Cartoon Network memorabilia that I hope may be worth a bit more someday. Other than that and an old "ALF" stuffed figure, I'm swearing off collectibles.

My philosophy is to buy things that I enjoy, for my use, rather than stashing them away and hoping they appreciate, because the value of collectables is entirly dependant on there being some greater fool to pay more than you did. Some day, all this stuff ends up with the king fool, and the price hits the wall.

Steve

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411393 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/15/2012 8:05 PM
My philosophy is to buy things that I enjoy, for my use, rather than stashing them away and hoping they appreciate,...

Penny agrees with you, but Sheldon doesn't:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEj3uYeBuqs

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411399 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/15/2012 8:29 PM
Penny agrees with you, but Sheldon doesn't:

Ayup. Somehow, seems sad to see a toy that has sat in it's box, instead of being enjoyed. It's a waste of resources. While the toys I had 50+ years ago might be worth something today if in mint condition, I derived more value by using them to destruction.

Steve

Author: qazulight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411439 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/16/2012 12:24 PM
You don't happen the have a picture from Pinky and the Brain?

I have been looking for one from the opening sequence where Pinky asks "What are we going to do tonight Brain?"

Cheers
Qazulight

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 411460 of 449747
Subject: Re: OT: A few thoughts on gadgets Date: 12/16/2012 4:26 PM
You don't happen the have a picture from Pinky and the Brain?

I have been looking for one from the opening sequence where Pinky asks "What are we going to do tonight Brain?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_mPrhwpZ-8

I liked that one too.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement