UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: imcharliehm Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35400  
Subject: OT: A Question for Loki Date: 11/1/2002 1:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Loki,

I know what a malapropism is, and that doesn't seem to be what is happening in "Yogi-isms" like the following:

You can observe a lot just by watching.

Is there a proper term for that kind of construction? which is actually a fairly shrewd comment about being open to experience and letting it guide the understanding (rather than one's preconceptions), and, linguistically, depends on the fact that that the two verbs --often conflated in casual use to be interchanageable-- are here used in what seems to be a casual remark but (unintentionally?) plays off of their subtle differences.

Is it the suspected unintentionality that gives rise to the humor? But, also, is the listener too clever by half when he laughs, and Yogi the one who truly sees things as they really are with a directness that undercuts N-order meta-analysis? (the I-know-that-you-know-that-I-know-that-you-know... stuff)

TIA, Charlie

PS Lest anyone harrass me about what this post has to do with bonds and markets, think of Yogi's comment as good advice in the face of financial complexities and uncertainties, with wisdom happening where you find it.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement