Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jrdown Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5113  
Subject: OT - Absolutely stupefied! Date: 4/22/2004 12:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
I wanted to let everyone know what has happened to me in the last 24 hours.

Yesterday my husband and I signed the papers to put our house on the market. I was very nervous because I thought that we should have had it up for sale three weeks ago. John wanted to finish the 12'x42' brick covered patio.

Our agent (my mom, the broker) left a little after 1pm. She went to one of the two offices to put our listing in the MLS. She said she left the first one a bit after 2pm. I understand that the listing went on the MLS by 3-3:30pm.

At 4:30 pm I got my first call for a showing at 5pm. Hey, we aren't ready! I wasn't expecting anyone until this weekend. Don't most folks work? We still have to finish the painting!

I had another showing at 5:30, 6:15, 6:30, 7:00 and 7:30pm. My mom called while I was trying to fix dinner at a little before 7:00pm and she said that she had two offers in her hand. I told her that I'd call her back. That didn't happen until 8:30. We decided to meet at 8:00am this morning since there were 7 couples lined up to see the house today.

Mom had received another offer at 5:30am this morning via fax. She presented all three and every one of them was for more money than we were asking for the house! Now, before you say that we must have underpriced it I will tell you that we priced the sold home in our area that were similar to ours. Over the past 9 months we have become very knowledgeable about pricing. It was fairly priced. It had to be as our nest egg and money to buy a home outright was at stake.

Our home was priced 5% over what we thought would be top dollar. This would give us leeway to sell at the price we hoped for. Our stipulation was that all buyers be pre-qualified/certified by a lending institution before we would show them the house. This has made all the difference in the world.

Three more folks said they were going to call my mom to give her an offer today. Every family seemed very nice and we wouldn't have minded any of them being the new owners.

John and I did counter the offers but not for more money. Mostly it was a few things we didn't think we should have to pay for.

Long story short, we gave all three counters until 9pm tomorrow night to respond. We would have entertained other offers that came in before that time.

The one that offered the highest amount of money agreed to our counter and we have a deal!!!

From first showing to signed valid contract was 21 hours. I am so grateful and humbled.

John and I are thankful to our Lord for seeing us through all of this year. We are amazed at how He has taken care of us despite the hardships we have endured.

I wanted to share with you all our wonderful news! June 2nd will be here before we know it and we will be heading for Liberty, Missouri.

Robyn

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement