UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63311  
Subject: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/16/2007 8:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Air America, the liberal talk radio network, has been sold by the bankruptcy court.

http://business.bostonherald.com/businessNews/view.bg?articleid=183395

"A federal bankruptcy judge on Friday approved the sale of the liberal talk radio network Air America Radio for $4.25 million to Stephen L. Green, founder of a New York real estate firm.

Green and his brother Mark Green _ the longtime liberal New York City politician and frequent guest on Air America _ plan to continue running the network. "

A year ago, they laid off most of their 'name' announcers....Franken, etc....

It will be interesting to see if anyone can keep liberal talk radio alive.

t.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2189 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/17/2007 10:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 24
A year ago, they laid off most of their 'name' announcers....Franken, etc....

Curious. Al Franken was on the air daily until about a week ago, when he quit to run for the Senate seat in Minnesota. About the only other "name" they had was Randi Rhodes, who (I recall reading in one news story) is changing her airtime slot to fill the hours of the departed Al Franken.

Perhaps you live in an alternate universe where your statement is true? How do you get back and forth to here?

Author: montecfo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2192 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/17/2007 10:51 AM
Recommendations: 1
It will be interesting to see if anyone can keep liberal talk radio alive.

The Soviets did it for years. Just kept pumping in money. I think it was called "propaganda" then.

Times have changed.

Montecfo

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2193 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/17/2007 11:55 AM
Recommendations: 8
<<It will be interesting to see if anyone can keep liberal talk radio alive.

The Soviets did it for years. Just kept pumping in money. I think it was called "propaganda" then.
>>

Liberal talk rasio is NPR, government supported, just as you say.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: NMTech74 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2194 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/17/2007 12:58 PM
Recommendations: 3
t will be interesting to see if anyone can keep liberal talk radio alive.

Times have changed.

Things don't change much. The Washington Times has been propped up by hundreds of millions of dollars of subsidies for decades.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2197 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/17/2007 1:15 PM
"The Washington Times has been propped up by hundreds of millions of dollars of subsidies for decades. "

True, but most folks outside the DC Metro area don't bother to read it, or are unwilling to pay 50c a day for the Times.....the Wash post isn't much better, and worse yet is the NY Slimes....

But none of them are 'national'.....

Or free......

t.

Author: montecfo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2212 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/17/2007 2:25 PM
The Times is a great alternative to the liberal Post. Cost? $30 per year.

Author: joseph714 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2213 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/17/2007 2:27 PM
NPR is NOT affiliated with any political organization, nor agenda.

Just listen to the Diane Rheme show daily & this becomes quite obvious.

Her program has all voices from all sides of any aisle or persuasion.

-Talk of the Nation - Science Friday
-All Things Considered
-Morning Edition

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2222 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/17/2007 3:02 PM
Recommendations: 4
Dang, I didn't know that Car Talk and Prairie Home Companion were 'librul' shows!......

Dang.....

Click and Clack might be amazed...

t.

Author: joseph714 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2226 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/17/2007 3:46 PM
The Times is a great alternative to the liberal Post. Cost? $30 per year.

---------
Indeed it is. I recieve the N.Y.Times on line daily for the sub. rate & then pick up the Sunday Times @ our corner grocery store. Sunday in my life is good.

The most intelligent writing in the U.S. for a newspaper. Surprisingly less biased than one might think it is. Editorial staff has both the left & the right.

I'm sure this might get some in a dither yet again.

Author: joseph714 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2227 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/17/2007 3:58 PM
Recommendations: 2
Dang, I didn't know that Car Talk and Prairie Home Companion were 'librul' shows!......
---------------------

Commies, commies all.

Particularly the tappet brothers who feed my head every Saturday morning with subliminal Lenin / Marx theories (auto repair indeed!) masked by such subjects, subversive as they can get.

I'm amazed the FCC hasn't figured it out yet.

Surly this boards police commitee will keep us appraised properly.

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2228 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/17/2007 3:59 PM
True, but most folks outside the DC Metro area don't bother to read it, or are unwilling to pay 50c a day for the Times.

Surely, you don't seriously think that "most folks" inside the DC Metro area really read the Times. Do you?

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2232 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/17/2007 5:31 PM
DM: "Surely, you don't seriously think that "most folks" inside the DC Metro area really read the Times. Do you? '

Someone must be reading it, otherwise they wouldn't publish it!

http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?aid=57

"Founded in 1982 by the Rev. Sun Myong Moon, the right-wing cult leader from South Korea, The Washington Times quickly made a name for itself with an approach to news reporting that was unusually ideological.
"

"While the Times made itself must reading for right-wingers, it was also developing a reputation for shoddy journalism. From the start, the Times' front page was studded with scandalous stories bearing catchy headlines and sensational openings that more closely echoed the style of European tabloids than that of large American newspapers."

http://www.mondonewspapers.com/newspaper/washington-times.html

"The Washington Times is the number 98 American newspaper based on daily readership.

"Based in Washington, DC, The Washington Times has daily readership of 231,778. It is owned by News World Communications, Inc.."

Hmmmm....quarter of a million readers....the WAshington POst doesn't have that many times more.....

t.

Author: montecfo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2245 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/18/2007 12:08 AM
Surely, you don't seriously think that "most folks" inside the DC Metro area really read the Times. Do you?

I don't think they do, but its too bad. it is an excellent newspaper, very underrated. Plus you can read it cover to cover, and its cheap.

Have you read it?

Montecfo

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2246 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/18/2007 12:17 AM
"The Washington Times is the number 98 American newspaper based on daily readership.

"Based in Washington, DC, The Washington Times has daily readership of 231,778. It is owned by News World Communications, Inc.."

Hmmmm....quarter of a million readers....the WAshington POst doesn't have that many times more.....

The trouble with those circulation surveys is that they don't count readers, they count the number of people who get the paper in some form or another. The Times sells for not very much but it also comps a large number of copies.

The USA Today circulation numbers are inflated by the papers left in front of hotel room doors all over the country. The Wash. Times #s are similarly inflated but in slightly dfferent ways.

Author: OblivionX Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2269 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/18/2007 8:46 AM
I'd like to thank all the conservative posters for advancing all the new and innovative Retirement strategies on this board.

Good Luck on making this board as good as the other Retirement board.

And after that is done maybe there are a few more Retirement Boards you can enhance.

0x

<GetALife>

Author: montecfo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2270 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/18/2007 9:07 AM
I'd like to thank all the conservative posters for advancing all the new and innovative Retirement strategies on this board.

And after that is done maybe there are a few more Retirement Boards you can enhance.

Wow, touchy.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2271 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/18/2007 9:58 AM
<<I'd like to thank all the conservative posters for advancing all the new and innovative Retirement strategies on this board.

0x

<GetALife>
>>

In the same spirit, I would like to thank my liberal friends for retirement related threads like this one, truly crucial for anyone aiming at retirement.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2274 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/18/2007 10:40 AM
"The USA Today circulation numbers are inflated by the papers left in front of hotel room doors all over the country. "

Hey, I enjoy reading those USA Today from front to back when I travel.

Most of those papers are read......

Not only that, it is on-line if you want to see it.....

If you want to buy it locally, it is 75c a copy here in Dallas....the Dallas Morning News is 50c and the newstand, and about $2.50 week delivered including the $1.50 Sunday edition which weighs 4 or 5 lbs.

t.

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2310 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/18/2007 2:03 PM
Recommendations: 15
Liberal talk rasio is NPR, government supported, just as you say.
-----

Funny, it seems any broadcast that isn't Rush, Hannity, or O'Reilly is 'Liberal'.

That's seems to be the opinion of those who've never really ever listened to NPR anyway.

As far as "government supported" ;

A very small percentage -- between one percent to two percent of NPR's annual budget -- comes from competitive grants sought by NPR from federally funded organizations, such as the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, National Science Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts.
<SNIP>
On average, public radio stations (including NPR Member stations) receive the largest percentage of their revenue (34%) from listener support, 24% from corporate underwriting and foundations, and 13% from CPB allocations.*
(* These figures are derived from the most recent CPB data available, FY03. The remaining average revenue breakdown is: 6% from local and state governments, 14% from institutional support, and 8% from all other sources.)

http://www.npr.org/about/privatesupport.html

That's from FY03 and since then there have been ever increasing cuts from 'the government'. You make it sound like NPR is an arm of the government.

As far as balanced, remember this little tidbit about the Bush appointed chairman of the CPB, Kenneth Tomlinson?

(AP) Under fire for promoting conservative programming, the former Corporation for Public Broadcasting chairman has resigned from the corporation's board after the panel reviewed an investigative report on his tenure.
<SNIP>
The investigation was begun after Reps. David Obey, D-Wis., and John Dingell, D-Mich., in May called for CPB Inspector General Kenneth A. Konz to look into reports that Tomlinson used questionable tactics and corporation funds to exert political influence over public broadcasting.
-----
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/11/04/national/main1010378.shtml

NPR and PBS continue to be the only place where I find news to be presented as news. Sure there are programs with a political bent where events are discussed, but programs like the Newshour with Jim Lehrer, or Morning Edition and ATC on the radio just puts the news out there.

It appears any programming that presents news without a spin to it is "Liberal".

Yeah, words DO have meaning.

Author: GusSmed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2313 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/18/2007 2:18 PM
It appears any programming that presents news without a spin to it is "Liberal".

Heck, we've known that for a while.

Reality has a well-known Liberal bias. -- Stephen Colbert

- Gus

Author: OblivionX Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2367 of 63311
Subject: Re: OT: Air America Sold Date: 2/19/2007 5:57 AM
In the same spirit, I would like to thank my liberal friends for retirement related threads like this one, truly crucial for anyone aiming at retirement.

Seattle Pioneer

Wow, telegraph is a liberal, who knew.

0x

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement