UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MainiacJoe Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2282  
Subject: Re: Surprise Date: 5/31/2003 12:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
(OT alert)

Concerning the Dinah being Jesus' aunt stuff: if you look at the two geneaologies in Matthew 1 and in Luke 3, you note diferences. Like all geneaologies in the Bible, these are crafted to help the author's purpose for the book. In the case of Matthew, who is writing to Jews to defend the claim that Jesus is the Messiah, he gives the geneaology from Abraham to Joseph, the legal father of Jesus from the human perspective. By crafting the geneaology to show Jesus' membership in the kingly line of David from which Messaih would come, it becomes one of several pieces of evidence Matthew gives that Jesus is the Messiah. Luke on the other hand is writing to philosophically-minded Greeks and chooses to present Jesus as the perfect Man, not only perfect in conduct but also in fulfilling of human potential and of God's purposes for creating humans. It is therefore not surprising that his geneaology is from Adam to Mary, and his purpose for it is to demonstrate Jesus' humanity.

One response I do want to make is to say is that you should not think of yourself as a "lousy Christian" because you didn't phrase something in the TC (theologically correct) way. Jesus' simultaneous humanity and divinity is not a simple doctrine to understand, heck, it is impossible to understand. Like quantum mechanics, it seems too bizarre and logically contradictory to be true but is undeniably inferred from the evidence (biblical in this case instead of observational). When the physicists saw electrons behaving in those weird impossible ways, their first thought was that the data must be wrong, and it was only after they very reluctantly concluded that the evidence really was accurate that they were forced to accept that the impossible was true. In the same way, the Bible does teach many impossible doctrines, and one must decide for themselves if it can be trusted in spite of this. If one does conclude that the Bible is truth, then one is forced into a set of doctrines that offends the mind and tramples logic. Is Caleb's death an evil thing? Undeniably. Is God good and loving? I cannot begin to list all the ways that he has shown us his goodness these past few months. Is God powerful? Again, he has demonstrated to us many times that he is a real person who can make a real difference in this world, including physical healing. So why the hell didn't he prevent Caleb from dying? I believe that I will never know why. That is an offense to the mind, but trusting him in spite of that offense (which is different than turning off my brain) has been healing to our spirits and just as our marriage relationship has grown through this crisis our relationship with God has also grown greatly.

Of course, someone will eventually figure out quantum mechanics, but no one will ever figure out God. Why then do we create spiritual litmus tests for each other's and our own phraseology? Our participation on this board is evidence that we have more important things to worry about than whether we can parrot the "right" one of several inadequate phrases, in fact worrying excessively about it gets in the way of an honest realtionship with God because it misrepresents both our capabilities and his expectations. I believe in absolute truth, please don't misunderstand me, but I also believe that much of this truth is beyond our grasp and so we must give grace to each other and to ourselves.

- Joe
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement