UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 60455  
Subject: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/11/2007 12:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

( no real point --just venting )

AARP mag has a page of puzzles (exercise the mind and it won't go As Quickly)

this month ... (maybe every month -- i'd never looked closely before, but this month
i had some extra free time)

a word puzzle, a sudoku, a trivia quiz and a picture puzzle.

the first two interesting, the second two --argh.

20 true-false questions, only one the least challenging ... but they said, "14 is a good score"

pictures of six different hands, question is "right or left" ... can't imagine missing any, but they said, "four is a good score"

i'm not all that bright [*] and it can be very frustrating, but if it got to where i was failing these puzzles.... ARGHHH

-

[*] couldn't begin to do the sudoku in my head .... had so many notes and scratches on the mag, it became unreadable .. had to use the computer to make a clean copy and start over.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1679 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/11/2007 1:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!

[*] couldn't begin to do the sudoku in my head .... had so many notes and scratches on the mag, it became unreadable .. had to use the computer to make a clean copy and start over.

It takes practice.
I used to have to jot down possible numbers, too.
But now I can do the puzzle by just looking at it.
No numbers to jot down. Nothing to erase.
I never enter a number I'm not positive goes in the square.
Once in a while I make a mistake.
But mostly I get them right -- just by looking.

:)

AM
...Sudoku champ.

...and can't imagine even Bush not being able to recognize left hands from right hands -- and that's saying something.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1681 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/11/2007 1:22 PM
Recommendations: 1

It takes practice.
I used to have to jot down possible numbers, too.
But now I can do the puzzle by just looking at it.

i'm impressed.

doubt i'll ever be able to do that .... partly because it just wasn't interesting enough to practice practice practice.

...and can't imagine even Bush not being able to recognize left hands from right hands -- and that's saying something.

exactly. scary to think one might get to where you miss three of six

=

Author: LtUhura Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1694 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/11/2007 7:08 PM
AM
...Sudoku champ.

I'm not a champ, yet, but not through lack of trying. I got a Soduko a day calendar for Christmas, and I find that I'm getting to the point where even the black belt puzzles don't require as much jotting anymore.

Mark this day in history, I am actually going to defend Bush. My dad, one of the most intelligent men I've met in my life, is dyslexic and can't tell right from left, either. It's the only reason he wears a watch. I have trouble with it myself, and have to use the trick of holding up my hands, fingers together and thumbs at right angles, to help me figure it out -- the left hand makes an L.

Uhura

Author: LtUhura Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1695 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/11/2007 7:10 PM
OCD: Sudoku. Brain fart.

Uhura

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1698 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/11/2007 8:12 PM

Mark this day in history, I am actually going to defend Bush. My dad, one of the most intelligent men I've met in my life, is dyslexic and can't tell right from left, either. It's the only reason he wears a watch. I have trouble with it myself, and have to use the trick of holding up my hands, fingers together and thumbs at right angles, to help me figure it out -- the left hand makes an L.

Uhura

There is a difference between dyslexic and dumb. ;o)

AM

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1703 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/11/2007 9:17 PM

I have trouble too. In the 4th grade the nun telling me to think of the hand I write with and that's right. It was the sun breaking through the clouds.

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1704 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/11/2007 9:36 PM
I have trouble too. In the 4th grade the nun telling me to think of the hand I write with and that's right. It was the sun breaking through the clouds.

I have a similar problem with knowing which direction is which. If I'm going south I have to think awhile and visualize myself standing on a map in order to figure out whether east is to my right or to my left. Oddly enough I do know my right from my left.
Ted

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1705 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/11/2007 9:43 PM

I have a similar problem with knowing which direction is which. If I'm going south I have to think awhile and visualize myself standing on a map in order to figure out whether east is to my right or to my left. Oddly enough I do know my right from my left.

i have trouble with left-right directions (use the 'think of your writing hand thing'),

but looking at a hand and deciding which sort (the original puzzle) seems very easy

-j
....oddly, when i sailed for a while, i had no trouble with port and starboard ...

Author: tedhimself Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1706 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/11/2007 9:47 PM
....oddly, when i sailed for a while, i had no trouble with port and starboard ...

Prolly because port is always on the same side of the boat if you are facing the bow. East is not always on the same side of my car when I'm driving. ?
Ted

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1707 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/11/2007 9:51 PM

-------
Prolly because port is always on the same side of the boat if you are facing the bow. East is not always on the same side of my car when I'm driving. ?

i wasn't clear ...

"oddly" because i have trouble with left and right ...

GPS gal says, "turn left" .... and i have to think hard what she means.
if she'd said "turn west" .... easier.

and if she'd say, "turn port" ... easy as cake.

-j

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1709 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/11/2007 9:58 PM

I write with my left hand -- and that's right. :)

AM

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1710 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/11/2007 10:31 PM

Ted

I recently figured out that if you orient yourself, then you know which way is East, i.e., the Orient.

Vickifool

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1712 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/11/2007 10:57 PM
I have trouble too. In the 4th grade the nun telling me to think of the hand I write with and that's right. It was the sun breaking through the clouds. <?I>

I submit that the test was checking powers of visualization, rather than telling directions of left or right. As I recall the original description, it consisted of pictures of hands and one was supposed to decide if the hand was a left or right hand. But then again, I may be mistaken...

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1714 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/11/2007 11:16 PM
<i.I recently figured out that if you orient yourself, then you know which way is East, i.e., the Orient.

Vickifool

Dog bless the little compass in our Chevy Venture. Between it and the GPS I can occasionaly figure out which way is which.

cliff
... not a good navigator
... but better than Mrs. 666

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1717 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/11/2007 11:33 PM
Dog bless the little compass in our Chevy Venture. Between it and the GPS I can occasionaly figure out which way is which.

I've unwittingly trained MDH to follow directions. Since he's usually driving and I'm navigating, I use maps and give directions. I know how we are oriented and he follows my directions to go left, right or straight ahead. He doesn't.

Consequently, MDH is an affirmed devotee of GPS. I hate them, along with the time it takes to program them and the lack of orientation and knowledge of what's around one, if one uses one.

Give me a map anytime!

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1718 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/11/2007 11:48 PM

I submit that the test was checking powers of visualization, rather than telling directions of left or right. As I recall the original description, it consisted of pictures of hands and one was supposed to decide if the hand was a left or right hand. But then again, I may be mistaken...

you're right .

thread drift happens.

-
..... may be the two concepts are related.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1719 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/11/2007 11:53 PM

Consequently, MDH is an affirmed devotee of GPS. I hate them, along with the time it takes to program them and the lack of orientation and knowledge of what's around one, if one uses one.

Give me a map anytime!

hard to read a map while driving....
unfamiliar freeways ....
at night. <g>

(coincidentally) i figured my GPS earned her worth getting me across St.Louis (south to north) one night.

-j

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1722 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/12/2007 1:14 AM
PolymerMom: I've unwittingly trained MDH to follow directions. Since he's usually driving and I'm navigating, I use maps and give directions. I know how we are oriented and he follows my directions to go left, right or straight ahead. He doesn't.

Give me a map anytime!

LOL! Many is the time we have gone on vacation to a strange city, then gone out to dinner. Hey, it was light when we left the resort. Why can't we find our way back? Last week we went to Phoenix, and relied on Bindy (as we call her) to get us back. Worked every time. I wouldn't willingly give her up. Neither would Mrs. 666.

cliff

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1723 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/12/2007 1:28 AM

Last week we went to Phoenix, and relied on Bindy (as we call her) to get us back. Worked every time. I wouldn't willingly give her up.

"Bindy" ?

what a silly name. My GPS is named Daisy

<G>

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1724 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/12/2007 1:33 AM
"Bindy" ?

<G>

Bindy has an Australian accent.

cliff

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1728 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/12/2007 10:48 AM

"Bindy" ?

<G>

Mine is named Merlin. ;o)

AM

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1729 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/12/2007 10:49 AM

Bindy has an Australian accent.

cliff

Good luck.
Finding highway "eye-deen" is going to be fun. Oy.

Merlin speaks in a proper British accent.

AM

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1733 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/12/2007 11:16 AM

"Bindy" ?

<G>

little bit odd that ....
Cliff's is Aussie; yours is Welsh; & mine American.

=

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1737 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/12/2007 11:42 AM

little bit odd that ....
Cliff's is Aussie; yours is Welsh; & mine American.

Was Merlin Welsh?
O well.
The American male voice drove me crazy saying "highway 101" because it sounded like he was saying something like "highway one yew one".

The British voice enunciates clearly "highway one hundred one".

:)

AM

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1747 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/12/2007 12:32 PM

Was Merlin Welsh?

sure. why not?

.... he was some sort of Celt .... Irish and Scot are implausible

O well.
The American male voice drove me crazy saying "highway 101" because it sounded like he was saying something like "highway one yew one".

funny.

....correct ,of course is "one O! one"

(>

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1749 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/12/2007 12:40 PM

Was Merlin Welsh?

sure. why not?

.... he was some sort of Celt .... Irish and Scot are implausible

O well.

funny.

....correct ,of course is "one O! one"

(>

Yes, and I would prefer the American guy -- if only he could actually SAY "one O one" instead of "one ye one" or "one ya one" or however he quickly says it. Doens't sound anything (to me) like "one O one".

But then this might lead to a flame-war so I'm pretty sure I'm in the wrong and it's all a matter of opinion and everyone else is right.

Time for me to take a break and do my taxes.
That should be loads of fun.

AM

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1750 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/12/2007 12:46 PM

Yes, and I would prefer the American guy -- if only he could actually SAY "one O one" instead of "one ye one" or "one ya one" or however he quickly says it. Doens't sound anything (to me) like "one O one".

But then this might lead to a flame-war so I'm pretty sure I'm in the wrong and it's all a matter of opinion and everyone else is right.

wow. you ARE grouchy today.

Time for me to take a break and do my taxes.
That should be loads of fun.

ah ...that explains it.

-b

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1755 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/12/2007 1:18 PM
AM: Yes, and I would prefer the American guy -- if only he could actually SAY "one O one" instead of "one ye one" or "one ya one" or however he quickly says it. Doens't sound anything (to me) like "one O one".

We have several choices. All the American accents are mushy. None of the male voices carry as well in the car due to wind noise, etc. Bindy is the easiest to hear and understand for us. I don't know if her usages are Australian or just reflect the voice simulation package they used.

cliff

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1756 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/12/2007 1:25 PM

wow. you ARE grouchy today.

Well, I was in a pretty good mood until about 20 minutes ago when I was slapped for no reason at all. Then things turned a bit dark.

I'll be ok, though.
Just need to get started on the taxes.

AM

disclaimer: this post is not intended to start a flame-war between those who like or dislike taxes or who agree or disagree on anything else.

Author: tootru Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1763 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/12/2007 2:24 PM
AM,

If you use the British voice, you have to call it a Sat-Nav, not a GPS.

I learned that on the road from Harrogate to Ripon last year.

t.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1782 of 60455
Subject: Re: OT : ARGH ...old person stuff Date: 2/12/2007 5:33 PM
AM,

If you use the British voice, you have to call it a Sat-Nav, not a GPS.

I learned that on the road from Harrogate to Ripon last year.

t.

Nah... because this guy is a British-American. :)

AM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement