UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757895  
Subject: OT -- Bill Clinton returns? Date: 5/4/2001 1:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?siteid=mktw&dist=nwtam&guid=%7BF38F433B%2DFBC1%2D4A7F%2D8D90%2D06E6536E304D%7D

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37526 of 757895
Subject: Re: OT -- Bill Clinton returns? Date: 5/4/2001 2:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Heh. A lot of people have suggested that CNN stands for "Clinton News Network." This would prove it!

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37539 of 757895
Subject: Re: OT -- Bill Clinton returns? Date: 5/4/2001 5:09 PM
Recommendations: 4
Think of all the women Bill Clinton would meet being a talk show host. Talk about opportunity. -Art

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37544 of 757895
Subject: Re: OT -- Bill Clinton returns? Date: 5/4/2001 6:46 PM
Recommendations: 3
I think Clinton would be a lousy talk show host. Isn't the job of a talk show host to get his guests to talk? How could they talk when he won't shut up?

1HF

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37545 of 757895
Subject: Re: OT -- Bill Clinton returns? Date: 5/4/2001 7:06 PM
1HappyFool asks,

I think Clinton would be a lousy talk show host. Isn't the job of a talk show host to get his guests to talk? How could they talk when he won't shut up?

I don't know. Rush Limbaugh seems to talk pretty much non-stop for three hours each day and it hasn't hurt his popularity.

When Howard Stern was on the radio in New York, the ratings showed that the people who hated Howard Stern actually tuned-in for longer periods of time than listeners that liked him. Advertisers are willing to pay big money for that.

Bill Clinton no doubt will have the same effect on audiences. I bet he'll be bigger than Rush Limbaugh and Howard Stern combined -- depending on how outrageous he is.

intercst

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37548 of 757895
Subject: Re: OT -- Bill Clinton returns? Date: 5/4/2001 7:42 PM
Bill Clinton no doubt will have the same effect on audiences. I bet he'll be bigger than Rush Limbaugh and Howard Stern combined -- depending on how outrageous he is.

I don't think Rush Limbaugh has guests tho' I'm not sure since I've only seen him once. He did skits and read letters, but it definitely wasn't a guest format like Larry King. I think Howard Stern sometimes had guests, but usually they were naked women who didn't talk much. Now if Clinton's guests are just gonna be naked women who don't talk much, I'm sure he'll draw a big audience.

1HappyFool

Author: TheBreeze Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37564 of 757895
Subject: Re: OT -- Bill Clinton returns? Date: 5/4/2001 10:15 PM
Recommendations: 2
Instead of a political/news talk show, maybe it should be music oriented.

"I did not play sax with that woman."

Author: golfwaymore Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37576 of 757895
Subject: Re: OT -- Bill Clinton returns? Date: 5/4/2001 11:51 PM
<snip>

CNN's ratings have been disappointing. The company has lost market share as Fox is picking up momentum by presenting news in a lively, high-energy manner.

I personally LOVE Fox News and their talk shows. It seems to me that, with the exception of Chris Matthews of CNBC, they are the only ones that dont roll over to their guests; they ask the tough questions and stay with it til they get an answer.

Regardless of your politics, or who is in office, watch Fox and you'll see stories (not sensationalism) that you'll NEVER see on the networks.

"Fair and Balanced"

Golfwaymore

Author: mhtyler Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37590 of 757895
Subject: Re: OT -- Bill Clinton returns? Date: 5/5/2001 8:39 AM
"I personally LOVE Fox News and their talk shows. It seems to me that, with the exception of Chris Matthews of CNBC"

I agree generally Golf, but a couple of points. I think sometime around the empeachment hearings Bill O'reilly went around the bend...he was practically foaming at the mouth when Clinton got off. Second, the Fox election coverage was absolutely awful! The worst of any I saw.

The big star to come out of the election was Chris Matthews though. He's not only got several shows now, but of course even saturday night live did a hilarious satire of him...which he loves too.

Mark

Author: golfwaymore Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37648 of 757895
Subject: Re: OT -- Bill Clinton returns? Date: 5/6/2001 1:58 AM
I agree generally Golf, but a couple of points. I think sometime around the empeachment hearings Bill O'reilly went around the bend...he was practically foaming at the mouth when Clinton got off.

I agree, O'Reilly can get a bit feisty. I do feel though, that he would have "stuck it to" a Republican in Clinton's situation, just as gladly. Either way, I'm a sucker for passionate reporting, provided they'll argue the devil's advocate in any situation.

What immediately came to mind when I read your comment about Bill was his viewer mail segment. He routinely will receive conflicting chastisement from viewers, one calling him a liberal, one calling him a right winger, based on the same interview! This at least leads me to believe he's being "Fair and Balanced".

The big star to come out of the election was Chris Matthews though. He's not only got several shows now, but of course even saturday night live did a hilarious satire of him...which he loves too.

Matthews and his CNBC coverage is my absolute favorite! He has the total package; he's extremely quick, amazingly witty, he's ballsy, he gets the total picture, he understands history and the politics, and he doesnt accept lame answers.

I likely appeal to Matthews because he seems to be one of the few who TRULY is on the fence and seems to give all a chance to persuade him - but they darn well better have their facts straight. This is similar to my political non-leanings.

For those who dont know, Matthews formerly worked for President Carter's administration as a speech writer, and now openly votes "the man"; we should all aspire to as much.

If anyone hasnt seen Matthews in action, it's a must see!

Golfwaymore,
Scoffing at party politics since 1902

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement