UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rainphakir Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 63080  
Subject: ot - bodyworlds exhibits Date: 2/11/2007 1:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This has been around for a while... but, if you've not seen one of these exhibits, I highly recommend them :-)

http://www.bodyworlds.com/index.html

There is some controversy about the provence of the bodies... with rumors that they are chinese prisoners who were executed so that the body could be 'sold' for these exhibits.

I could see no evidence that the bodies were asian - the eyes were typically visible in a way that showed the shape of the eyelids...They all appeared european/caucasion and/or black.

The exhibits are real popular, therefore, plan for lines, buy tickets early/online, etc.

Fascinating
ralph
Print the post Back To Top
Author: mycache101 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1663 of 63080
Subject: Re: ot - bodyworlds exhibits Date: 2/11/2007 2:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

My sister and BIL saw it in Las Vegas last November and loved it. It was scheduled for NYC but I don't know if it is still there.

This is the link she sent me: (I hope it is still active)

http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/intro.html

I may go when it comes to Portland.

jj

Author: Anibaldo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1664 of 63080
Subject: Re: ot - bodyworlds exhibits Date: 2/11/2007 4:55 AM
Recommendations: 3
I would rather not visit this exhibition. Some time ago, I watched a documentary on Hagen's plastination facility in China.

Wiki has a list of allegations brought up against the guy.

Legal accusations

Von Hagens has a guest professorship from Dalian Medical University and a honorary professorship from Bishkek State Medical Academy. In publications, he often uses the title "Professor". In 2003, the University of Heidelberg filed a criminal complaint against him, claiming that he had misrepresented himself as a professor from a German university in a Chinese document, and that he had failed to state the foreign origin of his title in Germany. After a trial, he received a fine in March 2004. On April 25, 2005, a Heidelberg court sentenced him to a fine of 108,000 euros (equivalent to a prison term of 90 days at the daily income assessed by the court) for one count of using an academic title that he was not entitled to, but acquitted him on four other counts. On appeal a higher court in September 2006 reduced the penalty to a warning with a suspended fine of 50,000 euros, which under German law is not deemed a prior criminal conviction.

In 2003, an animal rights organization filed a complaint alleging that von Hagens did not have proper papers about a gorilla he had plastinated. He had received the cadaver from the Hanover Zoo, where the animal had died. German authorities demanded the removal of the gorilla during the 2004 exhibition in Frankfurt, but von Hagens prevailed in court and the animal was restored.

Hamburg prosecutors investigated charges of disturbing the dead, based on his photographing plastinated corpses late at night all over Hamburg.

There were legal proceedings against von Hagens in Siberia regarding a shipment of 56 corpses to Heidelberg.

In October 2003, a parliamentary committee in Kyrgyzstan investigated accusations that von Hagens had illegally received and plastinated several hundred corpses from prisons, psychiatric institutions and hospitals in Kyrgyzstan, some without prior notification of the families. Von Hagens himself testified at the meeting; he said he had received nine corpses from Kyrgyzstan hospitals, none had been used for the Body Worlds exhibition, and that he was not involved with nor responsible for the notification of families.

In January 2004, the German news magazine Der Spiegel reported that von Hagens had acquired some corpses from executed prisoners in China; he countered that he did not know the origin of the bodies and went on to cremate several of the disputed cadavers. German prosecutors declined to press charges, and Von Hagens was granted an interim injunction against Der Spiegel in March 2005, preventing the magazine from claiming that Body Worlds contain the bodies of executed prisoners.

In February 2004, the German Süddeutsche Zeitung confirmed earlier reports by the German TV station ARD that von Hagens had offered a one-time payment and a life-long pension to Alexander Sizonenko if he would agree to have his body transferred to the Institute of Plastination after his death. Sizonenko, reported to be one of the world's tallest men at 2.39 m, formerly played basketball for the Soviet Union and is now plagued by numerous health problems. He declined the offer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunther_von_Hagens

Abe

Author: slowlythere Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1665 of 63080
Subject: Re: ot - bodyworlds exhibits Date: 2/11/2007 5:09 AM
I would rather not visit this exhibition. Some time ago, I watched a documentary on Hagen's plastination facility in China.

Thank you for your post and the wiki link. Can you tell me more about the documentary you saw?

I've been disinclined to go to such exhibitions as well: it seems people who are questioning aspects of these exhibitions are in the minority, but I'm glad there's increasing discussion about the fundamentals of these exhibits.

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1666 of 63080
Subject: Re: ot - bodyworlds exhibits Date: 2/11/2007 5:54 AM
Recommendations: 1
This has been around for a while... but, if you've not seen one of these exhibits, I highly recommend them

My stomach and I will pass. I still recall how quickly I had to get out of the mummy room in the British Museum. OTOH, I'm surprised Cousin Barbara, who usually has the Surgery Channel on her TV, hasn't planned a vacation around such an exhibition.

Different strokes, and all that.

Phil

Author: workwayless Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1735 of 63080
Subject: Re: ot - bodyworlds exhibits Date: 2/12/2007 11:21 AM
I saw the exhibit yesterday. I would highly recommend seeing it. I found the displays very informative (you learn more about the human anatomy than looking at any man-made model) and also found the bodies to be esthetically beautiful.

Author: ARRazorback Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1814 of 63080
Subject: Re: ot - bodyworlds exhibits Date: 2/13/2007 12:07 PM
I went to this exhibit in NYC and it did appear most of the bodies were of Asian origin. However, it was fascinating to see the different systems of the body displayed--once you got over the idea these were actual bodies.

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1854 of 63080
Subject: Re: ot - bodyworlds exhibits Date: 2/13/2007 8:33 PM
I went to this exhibit in NYC and it did appear most of the bodies were of Asian origin. However, it was fascinating to see the different systems of the body displayed--once you got over the idea these were actual bodies.

I went to the one currently playing here in Seattle. It's called "Bodies" which is produced by a different company than the Bodyworld. Same thing, the bodies were collected from Chinese political prisoners. However, very interesting. I recommend it.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement