UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MoneySpice Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757902  
Subject: OT: Bono In Bed with Paul O'Neill Date: 5/21/2002 8:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6

I've heard Bono tell the one about the American and the Irishman standing together looking up at a mansion:

The American says: "One day I'm gonna live in that place"
The Irishman says: "One day I'm gonna get the ba$tard who lives in that place"

For Bono, America is the mansion and Americans are the ba$tards.

Here's a suggestion - rather than spending the taxpayer's money - why not slap a 100% tax on all income earned here by foreign rock stars to offset the cost of foreign aid?

Somebody tell me what the problem is with capital investment? Doesn't foreign aid money just end up in the hands of despots?

MSpice - thinking out loud

Print the post Back To Top
Author: drnonlinear Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67102 of 757902
Subject: Re: OT: Bono In Bed with Paul O'Neill Date: 5/21/2002 9:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
MSpice wrote:
<<Doesn't foreign aid money just end up in the hands of despots?>>

There is a funny line about foreign aid: It's money taken from the poor in the rich countries to give to the rich in the poor countries!

If you are interested in reforms that can really make a difference in the erstwhile Third World, read Hernando de Soto's "The Mystery of Capital: Why capitalism works in the West and fails everywhere else." It's an easy read & includes some interesting historical stuff about the US. In short the answer to the problems of the Third World is formal property rights & all the accompanying institutions. I believe the World Bank is finally coming to its senses and starting to work on this issue.

-dr.nonlinear-

Author: joelxwil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67103 of 757902
Subject: Re: OT: Bono In Bed with Paul O'Neill Date: 5/21/2002 10:07 PM
Recommendations: 1
Yes, the DeSoto book is excellent. Definitely should be read, particularly by those who think all the problems in the so-called "developing" world {which in many cases is really degenerating) are to be blamed on the West.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67128 of 757902
Subject: Re: OT: Bono In Bed with Paul O'Neill Date: 5/22/2002 10:49 AM
Recommendations: 0
The DeSoto book sounds like a worthy successor to his previous book, "The Other Path". Which was good enough to put him on my short list in a thread on the subject of "if you could pick anyone in the world to be President..."

Author: buzman Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67158 of 757902
Subject: Re: OT: Bono In Bed with Paul O'Neill Date: 5/22/2002 9:28 PM
Recommendations: 2
MSpice - thinking out loud

Taxman by George Harrison

Sunny Afternoon- The Kinks

Think about these two songs both by Englishmen, both anti-tax ditties.

Jimmy Buffett covered Sunny Afternoon, he was living in Key West at the time. Of course the last election proved Florida was the last Banana Republic.

Somebody tell me what the problem is with capital investment? Doesn't foreign aid money just end up in the hands of despots?

As contrasted with the good guys in our country-Enron,Merril, Anderson

just thinking out loud,too

buzman

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67336 of 757902
Subject: Re: OT: Bono In Bed with Paul O'Neill Date: 5/28/2002 11:35 AM
Recommendations: 2
"As contrasted with the good guys in our country-Enron,Merril, Anderson"

Of course, you can CHOOSE whether or not you want to deal with these companies, or any other company. When our government confiscates OUR money and gives it to some despot, we have no choice.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement