Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: karensie Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 214591  
Subject: OT-Buffett on Debt and Trading Date: 3/24/2013 4:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
*warning* this is video only.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idr6c8NHuWs

Tim
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LONGREITS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 200403 of 214591
Subject: Re: OT-Buffett on Debt and Trading Date: 3/24/2013 4:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Simple, but timeless and invaluable, advice.

Most money managers have to game returns (showing pre-tax, gross of fees, or cherry picking a time period) to show performance on par or in excess of index fund returns.

I would be very curious to learn more about Buffett's thoughts on index funds, whether he has any opinion on market cap weighted versus equal weighted, or S&P 500 versus mid cap and small cap. The returns from some are vastly different than from others, even over long time periods.

Author: karensie Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 200407 of 214591
Subject: Re: OT-Buffett on Debt and Trading Date: 3/24/2013 7:58 PM
Recommendations: 2
"I would be very curious to learn more about Buffett's thoughts on index funds,..."

Since I posted an article about replicating Berkshire with DIA, PBJ, XLP, and EFA, I have been been researching ETF's in earnest. My interest picked up additionally when I saw several posts about VDC.

Fidelity, which came to the ETF game late has been encouraging the use of ETF's with no commission trading of 65 ETF's.

http://personal.fidelity.com/misc/buffers/ishares_etf.shtml

I understand the encouragement of many to have a concentrated portfolio but I just don't feel comfortable with all of my eggs in 3 or 4 baskets and when I am not comfortable I tend to trade too much.

Tim

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement