UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35345  
Subject: OT: Businessweek Date: 11/23/2002 6:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Hey, I got a letter published in the Dec 2 issue of Business Week, p 12. That's a first.

Its a bit critical of Microsoft's new tablet computer, but so far the lights are still on here and my MS software is still running (I think). Just paranoid.

Anyway, wish me luck.

Text submitted follows. It got edited into two paragraphs, but is quite similar.

Paul
(Always willing to share an opinion)

Re: Tablet Computing
Thanks for the excellent article on tablet computers (BW, Nov 11, p 60), but you missed a key point. A major market exists for all those computer users who still cannot type. The PC allows them some input using the mouse, but that input is meager compared to what is possible by typing. I have not seen figures, but estimate at most a quarter of the population at large can type at a minimal rate of say 20 words/minute (2 characters per second). A well designed tablet computer has excellent potential for the masses.
Success requires adequate character recognition software, i.e., the ability to decipher handwriting and convert it to typewritten text. This would allow handwritten memos, and the ability to fill out forms and spreadsheets by hand on a tablet. Yes, images of handwriting can be stored and transmitted fax style, but without character recognition, the very powerful text and numerical processing power of the PC cannot be used. Many features are lost.
Character recognition accuracy of six nines (99.9999% error free) is the goal for a truly functional machine. Your article implies Microsoft is struggling to achieve one nine. At that rate, one character in ten will be in error. Typists will find it faster to type in data than correct machine errors. Such a product has little chance of success. The machine becomes marginally useful only at three nines.
Its too bad we much rely on Microsoft to produce this important new product. Their reputation for shipping software with loads of bugs means the first ones will almost certainly be stinkers. Wake me in five years when they actually have a product.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement