UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75381  
Subject: OT: Call from MBNA Date: 8/17/2005 9:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Had a call from MBNA yesterday about my VISA card. I don't use that card often because I prefer Discover, which pays rebates. But I'd had 3 charges in 2 days, including one to Europe. MBNA security flagged it and called to verify the charges were legit. I was a little surprised but it's nice to know their security team is active.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pekinrobin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47272 of 75381
Subject: Re: OT: Call from MBNA Date: 8/17/2005 10:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Did you make the charges, or were they made by someone else?

I've made charges or withdrawals on four continents with various cards and never gotten any such calls.

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47275 of 75381
Subject: Re: OT: Call from MBNA Date: 8/17/2005 12:30 PM
Two charges were annual renewals of internet subscriptions, which I approved. The third was an internet purchase I made. Each less than $40. I'm guessing it was flagged due to 3 charges in 2 days when I average less than 1 charge per month on this card. In fact, if the card weren't part of my Fidelity accounts, I suspect VISA might cancel it for lack of use.

BTW, the last time I got a call like this was in the 90's when my Discover card was used to buy lots of jewelry with a ship-to address in another state. Happened a couple days after I used the card at the post office to buy stamps. Never charged anything at the post office again and have not had a card number stolen since.

Author: rkmacdonald Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47276 of 75381
Subject: Re: OT: Call from MBNA Date: 8/17/2005 12:40 PM
I got a call just like this from Discover this last December. I had purchased almost all of my Christmas presents during a short period of time using this one card, and it triggered their warning system. I asked them about it, and they told me that they monitor each cardmember's buying habits, and if there is a rapid deviation away from normal, they call and find out if the purchases are legitimate.

Russ

Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47277 of 75381
Subject: Re: OT: Call from MBNA Date: 8/17/2005 2:59 PM
Recommendations: 1
Monitoring the account is generally a good thing but I've read that it sometimes backfires on the cardholder. There have been instances where the cardholder took an extended vacation, sometimes out of the country, and the card issuer not being able to reach anyone at home to verify the unusual charges, put a freeze on the card. Maybe if you're planning such a trip it would be a good idea to notify the card issuer in advance.

Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47281 of 75381
Subject: Re: OT: Call from MBNA Date: 8/17/2005 6:01 PM
"I asked them about it, and they told me that they monitor each cardmember's buying habits, and if there is a rapid deviation away from normal, they call and find out if the purchases are legitimate."

Hi Russ,

Yeah, I got a call earlier this year after I had used a card, maybe one time in the previous six months... it was at a local business... Anyhow I live in California, the CC folks called after getting two charges from orders placed on line, one at a poster site, ~$50 bucks and the clincher, a $2000+ charge from a PayLess shoe store in Wichita, KS (guess they have a web site) so that was out of my normal pattern plus my name isn't Imelda Marcos which made them suspicious... No liability and no other charges showed up. I did have them close out that CC number and put a two year watch at the 3 credit reporting agencies... no new accounts without a phone call to me to verify I'm the one opening it.

Plenty of thieves running around...

Regards, Ken

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47283 of 75381
Subject: Re: OT: Call from MBNA Date: 8/17/2005 7:01 PM
Maybe if you're planning such a trip it would be a good idea to notify the card issuer in advance.

It is. I called before a trip to London a year or so ago on someone else's recommendation and the cc company noted the travel on my record and I had no problems. It's also a good idea to call if you have an authorized user traveling. I got a call when my kids would be traveling to or from school(we have a charge from[unknown rural town] Nebraska or Kansas - is this your charge ?) I started calling before their travels as well.

rad

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement