UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 726627  
Subject: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/22/2002 11:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Coca-Cola Allegations Bubble

(AP) Several employees of Coca-Cola Co. have accused the soft drink maker of repackaging nearly out-of-date soda cans and bottles and then reselling them at stores in minority neighborhoods.

Coca-Cola officials deny the allegations, which they said were not brought to their attention internally.

full article at:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/05/21/national/main509636.shtml

Wonder if Warren Buffett had a hand in this? <just kidding>

intercst

Print the post Back To Top
Author: imthekidd Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67142 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/22/2002 1:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 9
Heck, if it hasn't expired yet, I'd be glad if they sold reduced soda in my neighborhood. What's the big deal?
Sendmesomecheapalmostexpiredsodakidd

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67148 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/22/2002 3:26 PM
Recommendations: 1
AP) Several employees of Coca-Cola Co. have accused the soft drink maker of repackaging nearly out-of-date soda cans and bottles and then reselling them at stores in minority neighborhoods.

Wouldn't surprise me. We get sent the dregs here from many corporations including Dell. When I tried to order a computer on-line, they made me go to their international division, even though we are a US territory. The computer package differed with a poorer resolution monitor, and software that was a year older than that offered to US Dell. This happens over and over again, because the companies figure our options are limited.

InParadise,
Who is tired of being treated as a second class citizen.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67150 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/22/2002 3:35 PM
Several employees of Coca-Cola Co. have accused the soft drink maker of repackaging nearly out-of-date soda cans and bottles and then reselling them at stores in minority neighborhoods.

As long as you stay away from the 'diet' drinks, they taste fine....even six months later....the diet drinks go bad, and taste bad...yukky!.....at or before the expiration date....especially in hot weather.....

Hey, I go to the Wonderbread discount store 2 miles from the house...bread at one third or half price...baked goods at half price or less....reaching expiration date...yep, pulled from stores in 'upscale' neighborhoods, and sold at 'discount' store in 'upscale' neighborhood....funny, lots of high end cars in the parking lot loading up with six loaves of bread, all sorts of baked goods, english muffins, etc...... Oh, and they sell Coke at a discount most of the time....within 2 months of expiration......

Bring home a couple loaves, but all but one in the freezer. Why not? what they don't sell gets thrown in the trash......(and they also donate a lot to homeless shelter before it expires).....

I'll buy regular Coke at half price.......tell them to ship it to my 'upscale' neighborhood discount store...... I'm paying 25 cents a can for Coke at Walmart, where I do the grocery shopping..... I'll take half the price...and not complain.....heck, Coke 1 year beyond expiration is drinkable..and tastes OK.....

NOw if they were selling stuff pasts the expiration date, that would be something else, if they represented it as 'good quality' merchandise. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

OH, I get it......someone is disturbed that Coke is discounting at all!....less money for the stockholders????? they should simply destroy the old COke? Let those who can't afford to buy it new at full price simply do without???? or do without something else so they can have their Coke fix???? oh, the logic of it.....probably 10 cents worth of product...at half price, you give up 60 cents per bottle profit.....ahhhh.....

Author: holzgrafe Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67161 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/22/2002 10:22 PM
Recommendations: 0
As long as you stay away from the 'diet' drinks, they taste fine....even six months later....the diet drinks go bad, and taste bad...yukky!.....at or before the expiration date....especially in hot weather.....

telegraph,

You been talking to Marjory (nyua)? ;0)

Regards,
holzgrafe

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67163 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/22/2002 10:49 PM

telegraph,

You been talking to Marjory (nyua)? ;0)

nope.....just experience......had some two year old Coke recently...that was the only thing on the ship...it was that or nothing, and I needed all the calories I could get...tasted OK.....the diet Coke I usually buy is bad by the expiration date or before...I won't buy it unless it has 3 or 4 months to go.....you won't believe how bad 2 year old diet coke tastes.....the sweetener goes to heck before the expiration date.

So if you got diet Coke squirreled away for a rainy day, throw it out....regular Coke will last you a year or more....

Author: Patnbj Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67165 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/23/2002 8:00 AM
Several employees of Coca-Cola Co. have accused the soft drink maker of repackaging nearly out-of-date soda cans and bottles and then reselling them at stores in minority neighborhoods.

So, if you buy a "in-date" Coke, then you are getting a much superior product, right???

Um, I always wondered how a company could charge so much money for a product that is essentially sweetened water. That people buy into the need for this product demonstrates the powerful affect of advertising, IMHO.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67174 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/23/2002 10:38 AM
Um, I always wondered how a company could charge so much money for a product that is essentially sweetened water. That people buy into the need for this product demonstrates the powerful affect of advertising, IMHO.

You could start with 'breakfast cereal', most of which contains 5 cents worth of corn or wheat, and 5 cents worth of sugar....often more sugar than anything else....but sells for $3/lb.....the fancier the appearance, the higher the price....the more 'sugar coated', the higher the price..

And twinkies.....and Ding Dongs....and chocolate bars....and popcorn!!!! let's see....10 cents worth of pop corn/butter.....sells for $4 at the movie theatre??????

or coffee or tea???? ten cents worth of coffee, at most....and $2-4 at Starbucks......A better part of a buck at the 7-11

Just about all packaged food is tremendously marked up, where you pay more for the packaging than the product....

You mean you don't like the caffeine kick of a cola???????

or you can buy Sam's Choice cola at Walmart for half the price....12 cents a can or less.....or buy in the big bottles, dropping your cost per oz even less......

OK...so I got a 50 cents/day Diet Coke habit......I admit it......hey, that's 5% of my daily 'food' budget......(I eat out most nights).....

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67178 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/23/2002 1:25 PM
....the diet Coke I usually buy is bad by the expiration date or before...I won't buy it unless it has 3 or 4 months to go.....you won't believe how bad 2 year old diet coke tastes.....the sweetener goes to heck before the expiration date.

So if you got diet Coke squirreled away for a rainy day, throw it out....regular Coke will last you a year or more....

I totally agree about diet drinks these days. It is infact hard to get diet soda down here since they come by ship and are exposed to heat during that time. Our selection is very minimal. Coke, Pepsi and Fresca are about it.

It hasn't always been that way though. 9 years ago we took a rafting trip down the Grand Canyon. It is a 7 day trip and certain supplies like canned sodas and beer are often brought down ahead of time and burried somewhere near the river, or submerged with the bag tied to a rock. We came across a stash that had been misplaced with some Frescas that were ancient history, several years past their date of manufacture. Believe it or not, those sodas were still darned good.

Has there been a change in formulation? Did the cold water of the river keep it from degrading over the years, (55F in August)? Was I just that desperate? <grin>

I've even noticed that the sugar free Jello we buy down here spoils, even though it is still in dry form. You don't find out until after you make it. Rather frustrating.

InParadise

Author: reader99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67192 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/23/2002 5:03 PM
This dating thing is new. DH is in the soft drink vending business. It's just a couple-few years ago they even PUT dates on there. All the sodas I drank before then could have been 20 years old and I wouldn't have known it.

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67338 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/28/2002 11:50 AM
"Wouldn't surprise me. We get sent the dregs here from many corporations including Dell. When I tried to order a computer on-line, they made me go to their international division, even though we are a US territory. The computer package differed with a poorer resolution monitor, and software that was a year older than that offered to US Dell."

Nonsense.

First of all, Dell doesn't make ANY computers until they are ordered, so you aren't getting stock that may have been sitting in a store someplace (like you might with Compaq, HP, and the like).

Also, I went to the Dell site for the U.S. Virgin Islands. They offer the SAME models and the SAME options and the SAME software as sold right here in the Continental USA.

In fact, you get MORE options on the US Virgin Island site- you can configure the base model, whereas in the USA, it is not configurable.

Even the prices are the SAME. The only differences I could find were 1. web page layout and 2. the "special offers" were slightly different.

jb

If anyone wants to check:

Dell USA offerings: http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/series_dimen_desktops.htm

Dell US Virgin Island offerings:
http://www.dell.com/la/vi/en/dhs/products/series_dimen_desktops.htm

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67339 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/28/2002 11:55 AM
Recommendations: 5
I'd say Coca-Cola was screwing the white folks, NOT the minority folks. Hmmm, they charge the "rich" white folks $1.19 and the "poor" minorities" $0.69 for the same product, and the minorities are "getting screwed"?

Hell, they can screw me with 43% discount ANYTIME!

Btw, how the heck does sugar water (er, Coke) "expire"?

jb

Author: microfood Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67340 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/28/2002 12:23 PM
Btw, how the heck does sugar water (er, Coke) "expire" . . .

Regular Coke sweetened with HFCS isn't so much of a problem, but the aspartame used in Diet Coke is much less stable. In either product it's not a question of food safety, only food quality -- just ask anyone who has consumed a >6-month-old Diet Coke - Gack!

-A.

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67348 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/28/2002 2:27 PM
Me: "Wouldn't surprise me. We get sent the dregs here from many corporations including Dell. When I tried to order a computer on-line, they made me go to their international division, even though we are a US territory. The computer package differed with a poorer resolution monitor, and software that was a year older than that offered to US Dell."

Commodore: Nonsense.

First of all, Dell doesn't make ANY computers until they are ordered, so you aren't getting stock that may have been sitting in a store someplace (like you might with Compaq, HP, and the like).

Also, I went to the Dell site for the U.S. Virgin Islands. They offer the SAME models and the SAME options and the SAME software as sold right here in the Continental USA.

In fact, you get MORE options on the US Virgin Island site- you can configure the base model, whereas in the USA, it is not configurable.

Even the prices are the SAME. The only differences I could find were 1. web page layout and 2. the "special offers" were slightly different.

jb

Wow, you must be a big time Dell shareholder to put that much effort into "debunking" my comments. Jeeze, report it to the Urban Legend board why don't you?

You are right in that Dell doesn't pre-assemble their systems, but they sure don't rush out to buy components each time someone requests a system either. While for the most part the systems are the same, we get the left over older components for the non-standard upgrades. Specifically at the time I tried to place an order, (probably about 3 months ago,) the monitor had a poorer resolution for the size I wanted and the software I wanted to upgrade to was last years version, (though you are right that we were being charged the same price as for the better ones!) When I called Dell USA to complain and see if I could get the updated components offered on the mainland, customer service acknowledged the differences and said too darned bad. My only option would have been to have it shipped to relatives in Florida who would then package it up to be shipped here. Of course that meant paying FL taxes as well as double shipping so I nixed that. We don't have sales tax here. A couple of my friends were so upset at the differences in the upgrades they wanted, they did the Dell-mainland-USVI triangle complete with all those extra fees. Their level of computer geekiness is much higher than mine however.

Frankly, I haven't bothered to check your links, but if everything is now the same perhaps they have finally run out of the old components. More likely however is that you have to click on the details of the upgrades available to see the difference.

InParadise,
Who has absolutely no position or intent there of on Dell.

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67350 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/28/2002 2:50 PM
"When I called Dell USA to complain and see if I could get the updated components offered on the mainland, customer service acknowledged the differences and said too darned bad. My only option would have been to have it shipped to relatives in Florida "

I am still VERY skeptical about your story, and here is why:

The computers made for the US Virgin Islands are made in the same factory as those made for someone living in Florida.

Also, Dell does NOT keep large supplies of components on hand. Typically, they hold components for LESS than 8 hours. For all practical purposes, Dell carries no component inventory. That is one of the reasons they are so much more efficient than Compaq et al (carrying inventory is inefficient and expensive).

Dell INSISTS that their component manufacturers be able to supply components in quantity in LESS than 24 hours- which usually means their suppliers build factories adjacent to the Dell factory (numerous articles* have been published about the Dell manufacturing system- I suspect you can find them online- its fascinating stuff). It is highly unlikely that ANY component in any Dell product is more than a week old, so I find it hard to believe you got some "old" model, unless you were buying from their REFURBISHED (used) computer line.

jb

*If you want to read one, I recall that one of the better ones was in "Fast Company" magazine (which I think is now called Business 2.0)

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67354 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/28/2002 3:25 PM
I am still VERY skeptical about your story, ...

Didn't your mother ever tell you it isn't nice to call someone a liar? Perhaps your skepticism has more to do with the fact that Dell is #1 on your favorite stock list.

InParadise,
Who after 6 years of living in a US territory thinks she knows a tad more about about the hassles of living here than you do.

Author: Savagegrace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67360 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/28/2002 3:49 PM
Recommendations: 8
Had you looked closer you would have noticed that it was the monitor and software that Inparadise spoke about. Yes, that does make a difference.

But the fact is I'm not so sure you understand the difference between 24 hour inventory and having the parts to build a large amount of boards. Dell does not get a free ride on the latest boards. They have to project the number of boards needed. Their vendors have to order for that version board.

Somewhere along the line Dell will have to eat older version boards, monitors and software in some way. Otherwise they will force their vendors out of business.

You can't use the over ordered 4meg chips when the next version uses 32meg chips.

As for software do you think they buy it per piece? Hardly I should think. The best deal would be a large volume buy. What happens when the newest software hits? If they projected well they discount the small amount that's left. If not, they'll have a large amount to stick somewhere.

24 hour inventory does NOT mean you get the latest boards. It means you do not hold a large inventory. If Dell didn't work in some way with their vendors to ease the price of electronic advancement, Dell would simply put every vendor out of business as new changes came along.

I think Commmodore64, you are being overly naive and are being misled by Dell's PR department.

GS

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67368 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/28/2002 4:45 PM
Recommendations: 4
"As for software do you think they buy it per piece? Hardly I should think. The best deal would be a large volume buy. What happens when the newest software hits? If they projected well they discount the small amount that's left. If not, they'll have a large amount to stick somewhere. "

Actually, they do sell some (perhaps not ALL of it) essentially by the piece- they have a license agreement and pay a negotiated amount per copy SOLD. They do NOT buy copies to keep in inventory like a CompUSA. Perhaps if the initial poster could name this "old" software, I could give you more detail.

"Somewhere along the line Dell will have to eat older version boards, monitors and software in some way. Otherwise they will force their vendors out of business."

Not true. Dell is the big dog. If vendors want to supply Dell, they play by DELL's rules. Sometimes that means the VENDOR eats costs (which they sometimes complain about)- which is why Dell only works with financially stable companies (no small time operators).

"I think Commmodore64, you are being overly naive and are being misled by Dell's PR department."

I don't get ANY information from Dell's PR department (what good would that do). I gave a reference earlier which describes the Dell system. There are plenty of others you can find yourself. These are NOT from Dell, but by third party sources.

BTW, the links I provided earlier still work, and the systems offered to the US Virgin Islands are STILL the SAME (including monitors and software) as those offered in the USA (feel free to actually LOOK before you spout/flame).

jb

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67369 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/28/2002 4:52 PM
Recommendations: 4
"Didn't your mother ever tell you it isn't nice to call someone a liar? Perhaps your skepticism has more to do with the fact that Dell is #1 on your favorite stock list.

InParadise,
Who after 6 years of living in a US territory thinks she knows a tad more about about the hassles of living here than you do. "

Ok, let me get this straight. You make a wild claim with no substantiation.

I point out the errors in your claim with references AND links that show what you claim is WRONG.

You respond NOT with substantiation, but with something along the lines of "you think Dell is good a good company, therefore your logical arguments, facts, and references are inferior to my rant".

Okay, as long as I know where you stand on the issue.

BTW, the links I provided STILL show that the Dell systems available in the USA and the US Virgin Islands are the same- same system, same software, same monitor....

If you can show me evidence that Dell does NOT provide the same systems, I am willing to examine it (links would be nice).

jb

"Who after 6 years of living in a US territory thinks she knows a tad more about about the hassles of living here than you do."

Perhaps, but that statement is irrelevant to the current discussion (I believe its called obfuscation).

Author: Savagegrace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67373 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/28/2002 6:34 PM
No, I'm not really interested in your URL's.

You've made an error in judgement. So, I'll keep it simple.

C + I = R

How's that?

C = You are totally correct.

I = InParadise said she bought a new system. She did. She didn't get it.

R = Rat

Rat, as in a Rat in the refurbishment department. Perhaps someones job is on the line? Mayhaps the manager is looking for his bonus?

Would a newbie be able to tell the difference in a monitor of a slight pitch difference? Software that's missing a few functions of the newer version?

The only thing you've proven to me is that someone is trying to earn brownie points at Dell.

Of course, it could have been an honest mistake by Dell. But they didn't fix it, did they?

Of course, no one on this board has ever encountered one of these, ethically challenged, managers.

Your Humble Servant,
Gracefully Savage

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67376 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/28/2002 6:55 PM
Recommendations: 3
"No, I'm not really interested in your URL's."

Of course not, you wouldn't want facts to cloud your rant, lol.

"You've made an error in judgement. So, I'll keep it simple.

C + I = R

How's that?

R = Rat

Rat, as in a Rat in the refurbishment department. Perhaps someones job is on the line? Mayhaps the manager is looking for his bonus?"

Okay, other than the "you are totally correct part", which I agree with, I have NO IDEA what this means.

"Would a newbie be able to tell the difference in a monitor of a slight pitch difference? Software that's missing a few functions of the newer version?"

The original poster NEVER said she ordered anything- she simply said the web site offered DIFFERENT system configurations (which I have already disproved, if either of you will bother actually looking rather than ranting), so she could not possibly have known anything other than what is presented on the web site.

"The only thing you've proven to me is that someone is trying to earn brownie points at Dell."

"Of course, no one on this board has ever encountered one of these, ethically challenged, managers."

I'm not sure what you are trying to imply with these rants. If you are implying that I work for Dell, you are wrong. I HAVE NEVER WORKED FOR DELL, nor do I ever intend to. Notice, my profile says I live in San Antonio- thats a HELL of a commute to Round Rock (where Dell is located), lol.

"Of course, it could have been an honest mistake by Dell. But they didn't fix it, did they?"

Fix what? Nothing was broken. The original claim was that the US Virgin Island web site offered different systems (it doesn't, as I have shown) than the USA site. How do you fix something that isn't broken?

Hope this clears things up, though I suspect that if you had actually read my original post and links BEFORE ranting*, this could have been a lot easier.

jb

* Yeah, I'm silly, I like to understand a problem and gather information before going off on a wild rant- its obvious that some people don't follow the same path...

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67379 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/28/2002 8:16 PM
Recommendations: 3
<<No, I'm not really interested in your URL's.

You've made an error in judgement. So, I'll keep it simple.

C + I = R

How's that?

R = Rat

>>

I'm interested in the links. The reason is that it is evidence we can each check for ourselves, rather than second hand information we must accept from someone else.

Perhaps InParadise made a mistake or error of some kind that resulted in the merchandise she received. Or perhaps Dell made a mistake of some kind, as you suggest.

But it seems to me that the evidence advanced by Commodore 64 supports his assertion that it is Dell's company policy to supply similar quality merchandise to people stateside and in the USVI.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: Savagegrace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67383 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/29/2002 9:32 AM
Recommendations: 11
I'm interested in the links. The reason is that it is evidence we can each check for ourselves, rather than second hand information we must accept from someone else.

ROTFLMBO

Good grief SP, not you to?

It's good to know you've started believing everything you read.

Did you catch the bridge for sale? I think it was the 6th page in. Look for a dorky arch type symbol. I think it was in Brooklyn. Great price.

GS

Enuff C64, I've worked in production houses for over 3 decades. I've seen some of the damnest maneuverings imaginable when it comes to meeting quotas, deadlines and RULES laid down by production managers who didn't have a clue. Sales are the same way. You may want to believe it's straight forward.....it's not.

Your so called data, coming from Dell, is meaningless. Get over it.

One other point. You didn't start posting on this board till 2-02. So you may not be that familiar with InParadise.

Her Personal Quote: In God we trust, all others show data.

Had she been wrong or thought there was a mistake, she would have said so. I'd stand by what she said any day before I'd go with a corporate entity.

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67391 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/29/2002 2:08 PM
If you can show me evidence that Dell does NOT provide the same systems, I am willing to examine it (links would be nice).

Commodore,

Bottom line is that I don't really care that much what you think, certainly not enough to spend a lot of time chasing down this stuff.

InParadise,
whose internet conection is snail slow.

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67392 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/29/2002 5:20 PM
My dear Savagegrace,

You are sweet to defend my honor. Since you have put yourself out on the line for me, and in doing so reminded me of my own personal quote, I will present some data regarding Dell's double standard even though I think this whole thread has become very silly.

The website for Dell-VI having changed somewhat, I am only going to show the difference in software, prefering to use my time surfing TMF than chasing down monitors:

http://lastore.dell.com/store/frameset.asp?mscssid=GAJS948943XW9MK5RB3VSDDEXAUL1QQ9&store_key=LATRANS&shopper_country=VI&shopper_language=EN&shopper_segment=DHS&entity_type=CFGSET&entity_key=DIM4400_WKS_IS_RTL_LAPR

Hope it works, it is one heck of a link. This particular link shows that the software I get with the Dimension 4400 in the VI is MSWorks Suite 2001. A comprable setup bought on the mainland would get you MSWorks Suite 2002 with Money 2002 Std. Yes, we are charged the same for the older version as Commodore pointed out.

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/minicat_dimen_4400.htm

Commodore was correct however that I did not buy the system. I prefer to deal with my 6 year old HP with very limited memory than endorse this kind of dumping mentality. I'll be going to VA for a couple of weeks in June and will probably shop for a computer then. Perhaps a Gateway...

InParadise

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67393 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/29/2002 5:34 PM
"Bottom line is that I don't really care that much what you think, certainly not enough to spend a lot of time chasing down this stuff."

In case you hadn't figured it out, I was refuting your rant with facts prevent others from buying into your deliberate misinformation campaign.

jb

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67394 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/29/2002 5:46 PM
"Enuff C64, I've worked in production houses for over 3 decades. I've seen some of the damnest maneuverings imaginable when it comes to meeting quotas, deadlines and RULES laid down by production managers who didn't have a clue. Sales are the same way. You may want to believe it's straight forward.....it's not."

Irrelevant. I don't work for Dell (it would be a 2+ hour commute each way). I am an environmental engineering consultant- I don't have production or sales deadlines, and certainly NOT from Dell, lol.

"Your so called data, coming from Dell, is meaningless. Get over it."

When you CLAIM that the web site says something, a link to the web site showing that you are WRONG is not meaningless. The other references I posted were NOT from Dell. Ergo, you have buried your head in the sand and refuse to face facts.

"One other point. You didn't start posting on this board till 2-02.

Wrong again (do you ever get tired of being verifiably wrong?). I've been posting to this board for years, I did a name change to protest the "pay for play" version of the MF. If you want to check the facts (somehow, I have a feeling you won't bother if you repeat your previous actions), my old posts are under jblunt.

"So you may not be that familiar with InParadise. Her Personal Quote: In God we trust, all others show data."

Kind of a silly quote from someone who ABSOLUTELY REFUSES to examine the data I have presented, lol.

If either of you would take the time to examine the facts before continuing your rant, you might have the class to admit your error (I won't hold my breath waiting).

If ignorance is bliss, some of the folks in here are downright ecstatic.

jb

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67397 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/29/2002 6:30 PM
Finally, you present some evidence (thank you- was that so hard?). Why didn't you just do this to begin with?

Anyway, you are correct, there is a slight difference in software, which I admit I didn't notice (as well as the different, but roughly equivalent “bonus” items). According to the MS web site there are differences in the photo editing capabilities for MS Works 2002 vs. 2001.

However, the “2001” is NOT some obsolete crap that is no longer sold in the USA- MS still sells it. So its not like they are "dumping" old, unsaleable products. The thing that does surprise me is that the USVI version of the web site doesn't have a "Software" section where you can buy additional software (or upgrade from 2002 from 2001) like the US version has.

BTW, I don't think Dell is trying to "screw" anyone- they may have included a cheaper (but NOT obsolete) version of Works because they were giving away better stuff with the other bonuses on the USVI site than on the USA site. Or perhaps it was an oversight- I can't see any reason why they would go out of their way to "screw" the USVI.

jb

...who apologizes for being snippy earlier, I was a bit (ok, a LOT) frustrated by the apparent lack of willingness to look at the evidence I presented.

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67399 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/29/2002 6:45 PM
I did further research. The ONLY Dell that offers Works 2001 is the 4400 (the "cheap" computer, if you will). The others all come standard with Works 2002.

jb

...still pretty sure that Dell isn't out to screw minorities or anyone else.

Author: BuyLower Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67400 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/29/2002 6:47 PM
http://lastore.dell.com/store/frameset.asp?mscssid=BCPWRBHXSJBL9KPJG2HW9T4CWJXK06QD&store_key=LATRANS&shopper_country=VI&shopper_language=EN&shopper_segment=DHS&entity_type=CFGSET&entity_key=DIM4400_WKS_NI_RTL_LAPR

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.asp?customer_id=19&keycode=6V773&order_code=D44PO&view=1&cfgpg=1

I disagree with both of you. The above are very similar in price (~$1)
but have different monitors and software bundles. MS Works 2001 for
the VI vs. MS Works 2002 w/Money in the US. It seems as though the
monitor may be better for the VI than the US as a trade-off for
accepting the older software package.

E771 Monitor in US
M782 Flat Screen CRT Monitor in VI (add $50 in US version to get this
monitor)

Hope this settles it and moves things on to some relevant discussions.

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67403 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/29/2002 8:07 PM
Commodore: Finally, you present some evidence (thank you- was that so hard?). Why didn't you just do this to begin with?

Actually it was, largely because of your rude way of not asking for the evidence but jumping to conclusions and assuming I was full of $hit because you didn't dig deep enough into the site. I tend not to want to be accomodating to those who do that.

Como: Anyway, you are correct, there is a slight difference in software, which I admit I didn't notice (as well as the different, but roughly equivalent “bonus” items). According to the MS web site there are differences in the photo editing capabilities for MS Works 2002 vs. 2001.

However, the “2001” is NOT some obsolete crap that is no longer sold in the USA- MS still sells it. So its not like they are "dumping" old, unsaleable products.

Me: Wouldn't surprise me. We get sent the dregs here from many corporations including Dell. When I tried to order a computer on-line, they made me go to their international division, even though we are a US territory. The computer package differed with a poorer resolution monitor, and software that was a year older than that offered to US Dell. This happens over and over again, because the companies figure our options are limited.

If you actually read my post, I was pretty specific that the software was a year older. I believe you are the only one who refered to it as some "obsolete crap". Photo editing is pretty darned important to me however, and if it is such a wonderful marketable product, why are they only selling it to us and not the mainland?

So you badger me into hunting down the proof you didn't dig deep enough for by attacking those who defended me. Then you further insult me with a "Yeah I guess you were right BUT.." type of apology.

These offers from Dell change from month to month. They actually seem to get better each month as the "cheap" package gets more obsolete. The package I looked at 3 months ago had no advantages to the VI. Do I think "they go out of their way to "screw" the USVI"? What kind of paranoid idiot do you think I am? (Purely a rhetorical question, I assure you.) <grin> They do it because it is profitable and they can. Though it seems like several years since the first post in this thread, I believe that was the spin of the original article.

Comodore: ...who apologizes for being snippy earlier,...

Thank you.

InParadise

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67438 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/30/2002 11:51 AM
"It seems as though the
monitor may be better for the VI than the US as a trade-off for
accepting the older software package."

Yup, it seems as though the web sites are not exactly alike, but you can get similar deals and the SAME software if you are willing to pay for it.

In conclusion (I hope), the SAME software is available in the USVI as in the USA, but NOT available in every system. Also, the "2001" version is NOT obsolete junk being "dumped" on the USVI, it is still available in the USA at a lower cost.

So I'm trying to figure out what all the whining is about.

The only problem I see is that the USVI site is harder to navigate, in my opinion.

jb

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67439 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 5/30/2002 12:05 PM
"Me: Wouldn't surprise me. We get sent the dregs here from many corporations including Dell. When I tried to order a computer on-line, they made me go to their international division, even though we are a US territory. The computer package differed with a poorer resolution monitor, and software that was a year older than that offered to US Dell. This happens over and over again, because the companies figure our options are limited.

If you actually read my post, I was pretty specific that the software was a year older. I believe you are the only one who refered to it as some "obsolete crap". Photo editing is pretty darned important to me however, and if it is such a wonderful marketable product, why are they only selling it to us and not the mainland?"

I apologized for NOT noticing that ONE system did not come with Works 2002. However, you are still wrong about the monitor AND you CAN get Works 2002 in the other configurations, so its NOT a matter of thems selling it only to the mainland.

I don't know why that one particular system did not come with Works 2002 (I suspect it was a trade off because other parts of that system were better than the version offered here), but it is available if you really want it.

If it were me, I would have called again and got a more knowledgeable rep. (these people are often contracted and some of them my be either unknowledgeable or simply disagreeable). If that failed and I felt that I desperately needed the newer version of Works, I would have ordered a more upscale computer (that comes with “Works 2002” and hacked away at the components (you can vastly reduce the cost- and since the “higher end” models usually have better “bonuses”, you can sometimes get a better deal this way) until I got it down to the same price range as the cheaper model. Heck, that's half the fun of buying from the Dell web site- playing around until you find the most computer for the least cost.

Author: imthekidd Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 67596 of 726627
Subject: Re: OT -- Coca-Cola screws minorities Date: 6/3/2002 1:54 PM
I am just afraid someone like that dipstick on the Dell commercials will be making my computer, Dude.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (34) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement