UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884510  
Subject: OT: Coffee Stats Date: 1/3/2013 3:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I help buy the coffee supplies for the office coffee brew pot. Right now the price is a very reasonable $0.15 per cup. Slowly, our excess funds have been decreasing. At some point in the next few months, we need to raise the price or reduce waste and theft. Coffee drinkers are a cranky bunch. If you run out of supplies, they hound you until you restock. They also gripe at any price increase. They'll act like 20 cents of cup will force them to sell their home. I'm not sure why I even bother. {I'm sure many of you will quote that last sentence.} I also don't want to be the coffee police, making sure people pay for their coffee. So since it is the start of a new year, I want to price the typical cup of coffee.

I've look up some stats using Google. I have not searched extensively so I may be taking a guess on quantities of coffee, sugar and creamer. I did find one site that said the typical coffee serving is 9 oz. It also said that 35% of coffee drinkers drink it black and 65% add sugar and/or creamer. Here is what I do know right at this moment.

We buy 3 lb Folgers containers at Sam's Club. On the outside, it says 380 6 oz servings.
A 5 lb bag of sugar contains 180 tbsp of sugar.
Creamer serving size on nutritional label is either 1 tsp or 4 tsp based on brand.

Here are my assumptions right now for pricing a cup of coffee.

12 oz cup size
2 tsp of sugar
2 tsp of creamer

I'm not sure of the sugar and creamer quantity. I figure 2 tsp is a rough estimate for people who use more and people who drink it black. I'm not quite sure yet what to assume is the loss to making coffee stronger than the recommended strength and pots tossed at the end of the work day. Based on the assumptions I make, I'll price out the cost of a cup of coffee. Since we're all college educated here, the math should not be over their heads. Depending on the calculations, I'll either raise the price or try to shame some into actually paying for their coffee.

Plans include changing from an old can for collecting money to a typical sized coffee mug. On the side will be the price for that size. Then it'll say add more (without specifying) for larger cups. Also there will be a reminder that if you use sugar on breakfast or lunch stuff you bring from home, toss in some change to cover the cost.

We should all be adults here when it comes to a community coffee pot. Unfortunately, some people are not adults. Also it is below some people to even make a new pot when they use the last of the previous pot.

PSU
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement