UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFMurph Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 41634  
Subject: OT: "Cold Links vs "Hot" Ones Date: 7/19/2007 12:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi All!

In case you were wondering what has happened to your ability to post a "hot" link, here is a post from the "Improve the Fool" board:

"No, AJ, this is not desired behavior. Techies may be working behind the scenes to fix the previous linking problems. Please bear with us over the next 24-48 hours as we learn about unexpected problems and take steps to deal with them.

Thanks,

Bogey "

Cheers!
Murph
Print the post Back To Top
Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25739 of 41634
Subject: Re: OT: "Cold Links vs "Hot" Ones Date: 7/19/2007 12:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
They also made the font size a lot smaller. Old eyes DON'T like that!

Denny (old eyes) Schlesinger

Author: TMFMurph Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25740 of 41634
Subject: Re: OT: "Cold Links vs "Hot" Ones Date: 7/19/2007 12:42 PM
Recommendations: 0
Hi Denny!

My old eyes agree! I seem to remember that there is some why to change this on my computer, but can't remember how.

Any help from you 'puter pros"!?

Cheers!
Murph

Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25741 of 41634
Subject: Re: OT: "Cold Links vs "Hot" Ones Date: 7/19/2007 12:43 PM
"They also made the font size a lot smaller. Old eyes DON'T like that!"

Press [Ctrl] key and either hit the [+/=] key or turn the mouse wheel...

Regards, Ken

Author: TMFMurph Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25743 of 41634
Subject: Re: OT: "Cold Links vs "Hot" Ones Date: 7/19/2007 12:47 PM
Thanks, Ken!

I knew it was something simple!

Cheers!
Murph

Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25744 of 41634
Subject: Re: OT: "Cold Links vs "Hot" Ones Date: 7/19/2007 12:52 PM
Another way is to go to your browser's preferences and set the minimum font size to a number you like, not the 10 size default.

Denny (resetting minimum font size to 14) Schlesinger

Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25746 of 41634
Subject: Re: OT: "Cold Links vs "Hot" Ones Date: 7/19/2007 12:59 PM
They also changed the width of the screens. Now you need a giant monitor to see it all. Well I'm not going to see the sidebar anymore, I hope they don't post anything important there.

Denny Schlesinger

Author: bellgarde Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25748 of 41634
Subject: Re: OT: "Cold Links vs "Hot" Ones Date: 7/19/2007 1:07 PM
Go to View -text size- largest? That's what I have - and specs!

Bill

Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25749 of 41634
Subject: Re: OT: "Cold Links vs "Hot" Ones Date: 7/19/2007 2:05 PM
"They also changed the width of the screens. Now you need a giant monitor to see it all. Well I'm not going to see the sidebar anymore, I hope they don't post anything important there."

Here ya go Denny,

Good news is that a fellow Fool, tortueFool, is working on a fix. FoulWeather did the initial work on HiddenGems and tortueFool has updated it twice. There are still some issues he's working to fix. It may work for you since I believe the problems are with HiddenGems.

Here's a link to his last post on Help with this STUPID computer! Subject: Re: DREADFULL new tmf page look: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25698675

Regards, Ken

Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25750 of 41634
Subject: Re: OT: "Cold Links vs "Hot" Ones Date: 7/19/2007 2:08 PM
"Another way is to go to your browser's preferences and set the minimum font size to a number you like, not the 10 size default."

I have a minimum set but I use different sizes in different tabs... On the discussion boards where I do most of my reading I use a larger size and on my Yahoo portfolio & others I use a smaller one to fit more info with minimum scrolling... just depends...

Regards, Ken

Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25752 of 41634
Subject: Re: OT: "Cold Links vs "Hot" Ones Date: 7/19/2007 2:25 PM
Recommendations: 8
Ken:

Thanks, but, NO THANKS!

The fix you pointed me to is to widen the Fool page for people who want to use wide screeeeeens. I want to use a narrower screen, 800 by 600.

By setting the width ARBITRARILY to 999 pixels, The fools have managed to annoy everyone, those who want a wider screen and those who want a narrower screen. It is hard to find a fix that is so annoying to so many people.

There is another issue with a complicated workaround. I just don't see why I should waste my time fixing something that The Fool should never have ruined. 

The philosophy behind good web design is to make the pages pleasant for all the users. Fixing things at ONE SIZE that the website owner happens to like is JUST PLAIN DUMB! It feels like the Fool is on the same EGO TRIP with M$ and GOO! Hey guys, come back to earth!

Denny (annoyed at The Fool) Schlesinger

Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25753 of 41634
Subject: Re: OT: "Cold Links vs "Hot" Ones Date: 7/19/2007 2:28 PM
Recommendations: 2
Ken:

(I set the screen width
so it would really annoy
all the people reading it)

Thanks, but, NO THANKS!

The fix you pointed me to is to widen the Fool page for people who want to use wide screeeeeens. I want to use a narrower screen, 800 by 600.

By setting the width ARBITRARILY to 999 pixels, The fools have managed to annoy everyone, those who want a wider screen and those who want a narrower screen. It is hard to find a fix that is so annoying to so many people.

There is another issue with a complicated workaround. I just don't see why I should waste my time fixing something that The Fool should never have ruined.

The philosophy behind good web design is to make the pages pleasant for all the users. Fixing things at ONE SIZE that the website owner happens to like is JUST PLAIN DUMB! It feels like the Fool is on the same EGO TRIP with M$ and GOO! Hey guys, come back to earth!

Denny (annoyed at The Fool) Schlesinger

Author: FVKNIGHT Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25754 of 41634
Subject: Re: OT: "Cold Links vs "Hot" Ones Date: 7/19/2007 3:24 PM
Denny
You sure got my attention (annoyled) sp? with that sceen width. But I gave you a rec for the way you brought out and displayed the problem.

Let's face it I just like your posts on general.!!!!!!!!!

Fred

Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25756 of 41634
Subject: Re: OT: "Cold Links vs "Hot" Ones Date: 7/19/2007 3:56 PM
Denny
You sure got my attention (annoyled) sp?...

Let's face it I just like your posts on general.!!!!!!!!!

Fred

Thanks Fred! ;-)

Denny (annoyled sp?) Schlesinger

Author: RaptorD Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25757 of 41634
Subject: Re: OT: "Cold Links vs "Hot" Ones Date: 7/19/2007 4:11 PM
At least Denny can find the search box. :)

http://bmwmethod.com/images-linked/dan-search.jpg

Dan

Author: bellgarde Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25759 of 41634
Subject: Re: OT: "Cold Links vs "Hot" Ones Date: 7/19/2007 5:34 PM
Thanks I am rather a small fellow and couldn't get my eyes up to that height.

Bill

Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25761 of 41634
Subject: Re: OT: "Cold Links vs "Hot" Ones Date: 7/19/2007 5:44 PM
"The fix you pointed me to is to widen the Fool page for people who want to use wide screeeeeens. I want to use a narrower screen, 800 by 600."

Denny,

I don't think that's correct. I believe it sets it to full screen, whatever it might be. WendyB tried it because she had to side scroll...

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25699688

"People who have small monitors, like me, can't see the right side of the post, and have to scroll back and forth to read every line, which is a huge pain!

People who have large monitors can't use the whole width of their monitor."

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25700114

"That worked! Thank you!!
Wendy "

The Fool doesn't care how we like it, they didn't listen when we complained some time back when they did it to the Hidden Gems boards... At least FoulWeather and tortuEFool took the time to work on a fix, even though there may still be issues on the HG boards. One fellow had to change the 100(i.e. 100%) to 99 to get the vertical scroll bar back on the screen.

Can't blame you for not wanting to fix the Fool's implementation which manages to irk both those with 800pixel width(you) and 1440pixel(me) at the same time.

Guess they don't believe in the old, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Regards, Ken

Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25764 of 41634
Subject: Re: OT: "Cold Links vs "Hot" Ones Date: 7/19/2007 7:19 PM
Ken:

I got it! The solution to undo all this foolishness is a custom style sheet that resets the foolish settings to ones you like.

I have already discovered the settings that kill the 215 pixels on the right of the screen:

body#fcIndexUs.narrow #search { /* Limit application to US Index.asapx */
margin-right:215 !important;
}
body#fcIndexUs.narrow #subNavUs,
body#fcIndexUs.narrow #topNav,
body#fcIndexUs.narrow #leaderboard {
padding-right:215 !important;
}

just change the 215 to zero. I'll scout out the rest of the foolishness as I have time.

Denny (css expert) Schlesinger

Author: captainccs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25794 of 41634
Subject: Re: OT: "Cold Links vs "Hot" Ones Date: 7/20/2007 7:21 PM
I'll scout out the rest of the foolishness as I have time.
captainccs

Here it is at 800 pixels wide:

http://bmwmethod.com/images-linked/800-fool.jpg

Denny Schlesinger

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement