UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59131  
Subject: OT Computer Date: 4/4/2011 9:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I just lost the sound on my computer

Cross checked with 2nd set of speakers

Tried steaming online and listening to local HD files.

It doesn't make the turn on/turn off sound

Do I need a new machine?

(It's a 4 yr old relatively cheap machine so any "fixing/replacing" would probably just make me get a new machine)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32105 of 59131
Subject: Re: OT Computer Date: 4/4/2011 9:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Have you checked the "mute" botton?

intercst

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32106 of 59131
Subject: Re: OT Computer Date: 4/4/2011 10:02 PM
Very cluckin' funny. I didn't know you had moved to Bangalor

Yes, all indicators are in the -normal- position, just no sound

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32107 of 59131
Subject: Re: OT Computer Date: 4/4/2011 10:16 PM
Recommendations: 2
There's lots of things to try.

1) check the connections, just to be sure. (I had USB device flakiness and found a loose connection in the USB hub. shifted the machine one too many times...)
2) reboot - just in case the driver loaded improperly - or didn't load at all.
3) download a fresh copy of the driver and install it. Sometimes drivers get corrupted.
4) download the vendor's diagnostics (if they exist) and run them.
5) Check for malware. ccleaner from filehippo.com has fixed a multitude of sins on my PC. Malwarebytes is also a good freebie.

You didn't say whether it was a desktop or a laptop. If none of the above gets your sound back, consider: If it's a laptop, forget it and get a new machine. If it's a desktop, explore adding a separate sound card.

PM

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32109 of 59131
Subject: Re: OT Computer Date: 4/4/2011 10:25 PM
Thank you. Some of these things I guess I could take a stab at.

As far as connections/usb ports et al... that's the first thing I did. 2 sets of speakers run through the hard wire ports on the machine and through the pre-amp I use to record my "popular" digital downloads for iTunes.

I did a million reboots so I doubt that's the problem. No malware.

I was streaming MSNBC at the time. I notice that sometimes (once in a blue moon) the sound will cut out while streaming but a reboot clears it immediately.

I think I have some kind of diagnostic software somewhere but I never need it so it might take me a while to find it

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32110 of 59131
Subject: Re: OT Computer Date: 4/4/2011 10:40 PM
The System Information thing tells me everything is "OK"

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32116 of 59131
Subject: Re: OT Computer Date: 4/4/2011 11:24 PM
Oh joy. Cleared while troubleshooting

Author: salaryguru Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32120 of 59131
Subject: Re: OT Computer Date: 4/5/2011 12:15 AM

Woohoo. Celebrate by turning up the volume really loud, playing your favorite music and dancing in front of the speakers in your underwear.

Or not.

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32137 of 59131
Subject: Re: OT Computer Date: 4/5/2011 4:49 AM
Very cluckin' funny. I didn't know you had moved to Bangalor

Don't take umbrage. I did user support for 5 years, and easily 25% of the calls were resolved with plugged in and turned on.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32155 of 59131
Subject: Re: OT Computer Date: 4/5/2011 10:30 AM

It's usually either then or when a service tech is looking at it<sigh>.

fwiw, this could be the beginning of a hardware failure - intermittent failures may lead to a solid failure. It's a lot easier to find a solid failure.

Author: FCorelli Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32161 of 59131
Subject: Re: OT Computer Date: 4/5/2011 11:20 AM

It's usually either then or when a service tech is looking at it<sigh>.

fwiw, this could be the beginning of a hardware failure - intermittent failures may lead to a solid failure. It's a lot easier to find a solid failure.

This kinda what I was thinking. The machine is 4 yrs old and is a pretty middling eMachine that cost about 300-350 bucks as I recall. I'm not gonna diddle under the hood with sound cards when for a few bucks more I can get modern all the way around. Besides I haven't opened up a computer to fix or upgrade it since, I believe, the 1990s'. Besides I'm not up to date on all that technical crap like I used to be. It doesn't seem like the kind of computer you'd waste time on upgrading.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement