UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 743728  
Subject: OT -- Coyote Control Date: 5/6/2001 8:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 15
Received this e-mail today, don't know if it's true.

<snip>

A few years ago, Sierra Club and USFS were presenting an alternative to
Wyoming ranchers for controlling the coyote population. It seemed that,
after years of the ranchers using the tried and true methods of shooting
and/or trapping the predators, the tree-huggers had a "more humane"
solution.

What they proposed was for the animals to be captured alive, the males
castrated, then let loose again... and the population would be controlled. I kid you not, this was ACTUALLY proposed to the Wyoming Wool and Sheep Grower's association by Sierra Club and USFS.

Well, all the ranchers thought about this amazing idea for a couple of
minutes. Finally, an old boy in the back stood up, kicked his hat back
and said, "Son, I don't think you understand the problem. These coyotes ain't screwin' our sheep, they're eating them!

</snip>

intercst

Print the post Back To Top
Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37758 of 743728
Subject: Re: OT -- Coyote Control Date: 5/7/2001 12:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Well, all the ranchers thought about this amazing idea for a couple of
minutes. Finally, an old boy in the back stood up, kicked his hat back
and said, "Son, I don't think you understand the problem. These coyotes ain't screwin' our sheep, they're eating them!

</snip>

intercst

A long time ago I was driving out west, I think through Arizona, and I saw a sign on a Holiday Inn Marquee. It said, "Eat more lamb, ten thousand Coyotes can't be wrong!" I have thought about that and wondered if it appied to everything in life? " Eat more rice, 1.3 billion Chinese can't be wrong?" Or, "Eat more feces, ten billion flies can't be wrong?" - Art

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37765 of 743728
Subject: Re: OT -- Coyote Control Date: 5/7/2001 1:23 AM
Recommendations: 6
Received this e-mail today, don't know if it's true.

It's completely believable that this would be proposed. Some people seem to believe that there's an unlimited amount of tax money available for this kind of political correctness.

1HappyFool

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37772 of 743728
Subject: Re: OT -- Coyote Control Date: 5/7/2001 6:17 AM
Recommendations: 0
A long time ago I was driving out west, I think through Arizona, and I saw a sign on a Holiday Inn Marquee. It said, "Eat more lamb, ten thousand Coyotes can't be wrong!" I have thought about that and wondered if it appied to everything in life? " Eat more rice, 1.3 billion Chinese can't be wrong?" Or, "Eat more feces, ten billion flies can't be wrong?" - Art

Those of us who still work often do !

Author: MACDO001 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37937 of 743728
Subject: Re: OT -- Coyote Control Date: 5/8/2001 9:25 AM
<<Eat more feces, ten billion flies can't be wrong?" - Art

Those of us who still work often do ! >>

That reminded me of something I sent to my companie's travel audit department.

"A person has to swallow so much crap in life, that a little good food should be included"

It wasn't appreciated but I agree with Mark that those of us who still work often eat a lot of crap!

Mike, who is suddenly not hungry anymore

Author: baanista One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38044 of 743728
Subject: Re: OT -- Coyote Control Date: 5/8/2001 9:11 PM
I don't know if it works with coyotes but there have been several successful insect control programs that involved sterilizing male insects and placing them in the wild. The sterilized males beat out enough of the regular guys to have an impact on the total population.

These programs involved insects related to livestock disease so your hypothetical rancher hasn't been keeping up with the times.

On the other hand, I seem to recall that in wolf/coyote packs, only the top male and top female get to mate. So the scientists will have to breed some way tough eunuchs if they are to become pack alphas.

Regards,

Baanista

Author: 1HappyFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38047 of 743728
Subject: Re: OT -- Coyote Control Date: 5/8/2001 9:32 PM
Recommendations: 4
These programs involved insects related to livestock disease so your hypothetical rancher hasn't been keeping up with the times.

Insect lifespans are short. Coyote lifespans are considerably longer. Coyotes killing sheep now will continue to do so for years. Sterilizing would have an impact eventually, but ranchers might have to sell the ranch well before then.

On the other hand, I seem to recall that in wolf/coyote packs, only the top male and top female get to mate. So the scientists will have to breed some way tough eunuchs if they are to become pack alphas.

Coyotes don't really have packs. That's a wolf trait. Coyotes have recently begun to hunt cooperatively and exhibit some other pack behaviors, but they still scatter to breed.

The whole point though is that coyotes are, to some people, cute doglike animals that deserve more protection than other pests like say say fleas and ticks. This is a speciesist quasi-religious belief that should be prevented from becoming a taxpayer-funded public policy by the separation of church and state clause.

1HappyFool

Author: DogLovingFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38049 of 743728
Subject: Re: OT -- Coyote Control Date: 5/8/2001 9:35 PM
Recommendations: 1
So the scientists will have to breed some way tough eunuchs if they are to become pack alphas.

Gonna be hard to do without that testosterone controlling things.

DLF

Author: tngirl74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38076 of 743728
Subject: Re: OT -- Coyote Control Date: 5/9/2001 8:45 AM
Recommendations: 3

I don't understand the big deal with saving coyotes. I don't know of a single town that doesn't have a pound without a hugh number of unwanted dogs.

We use to raise goats and the coyotes got every one. Sometimes they would only get a leg or two and then you would have to shot the poor goat. And it was either the coyotes or bobcat that killed all my swans, geese and quite a few ducks.

tngirl, loving dogs since 1902

Author: tngirl74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38087 of 743728
Subject: Re: OT -- Coyote Control Date: 5/9/2001 9:52 AM
Recommendations: 3
We use to raise goats and the coyotes got every one. Sometimes they would only get a leg or two and then you would have to shoot the poor goat.

Oh, and another thing for you treehuggers, the reason we raised goats was to keep the brush down so our trees would grow better. When we had them, we didn't have to crank the tractor and bushhog.

I've done more for the environment than any so-called "environmentalist" could ever dream of doing....and at a profit!

tngirl

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38090 of 743728
Subject: Re: OT -- Coyote Control Date: 5/9/2001 10:05 AM
Recommendations: 5
Oh, and another thing for you treehuggers, the reason we raised goats was to keep the brush down so our trees would grow better. When we had them, we didn't have to crank the tractor and bushhog.

I've done more for the environment than any so-called "environmentalist" could ever dream of doing....and at a profit!

Opps, there you go trying to use reason and logic in a world where reason and logic have lost their place at the table. In a way, this is one of the primary reasons I decided to get out of the race. For the final ten years I was racing around, I didn't see any evidence of reason or logic in the decisions being made by the management of my firm, so it was time for me to take my leave and rejoin the human race. I'm glad I did and I've never looked back.

Author: tngirl74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38092 of 743728
Subject: Re: OT -- Coyote Control Date: 5/9/2001 10:16 AM
Opps, there you go trying to use reason and logic in a world where reason and logic have lost their place at the table.

To paraphrase an old adage: You can take the girl out of the reason, but you can't take the reason out of the girl!

tngirl

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38095 of 743728
Subject: Re: OT -- Coyote Control Date: 5/9/2001 11:09 AM
To paraphrase an old adage: You can take the girl out of the reason, but you can't take the reason out of the girl!

And heaven help the fellow who tries.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38162 of 743728
Subject: Re: OT -- Coyote Control Date: 5/9/2001 3:49 PM

tngirl

Not to mention young goats are good barbecued. And, a nice goat goes for $50 - $75 which is more profit than you would make on a cow or a pig. The influx of Hispanics (mostly Mexicans) has made raising goats profitable. I had some African friends (one from Nigeria and one from Ghana) that love to buy goats and barbecue them African style; skin and hair left on. You just kill the goat and throw them on the fire - not gutted or nothing. We would play Congo music (from Zaire) on a tape player, drink beer, and have a big time butchering goats! I'm not making this up. - Art

Author: tngirl74 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38178 of 743728
Subject: Re: OT -- Coyote Control Date: 5/9/2001 5:33 PM
You just kill the goat and throw them on the fire - not gutted or nothing. We would play Congo music (from Zaire) on a tape player, drink beer, and have a big time butchering goats! I'm not making this up. - Art

P U! I remember the stench from hog-killing. It would take a little white-light'n to make it through that hair burning off the goat! Did y'all eat the insides, was cole slaw served on the side?

Think I'll just stick to real BBQ. Oh, my daddy won't eat goat - they BBQ'ed his pet when he was growing up.

tngirl

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38183 of 743728
Subject: Re: OT -- Coyote Control Date: 5/9/2001 6:26 PM
P U! I remember the stench from hog-killing. It would take a little white-light'n to make it through that hair burning off the goat! Did y'all eat the insides, was cole slaw served on the side?

Think I'll just stick to real BBQ. Oh, my daddy won't eat goat - they BBQ'ed his pet when he was growing up.

tngirl

Actually the smell isn't bad at all. I didn't eat any of it. They wouldn't actually cook the goat, just burn the hair off it and scrape it. They would then wash it and cut it up. They took it home with them. I just found them a goat and let them use my land to burn the hair off. It was actually kind of fun in a Neandertal kind of way. My understanding is that this is a kind of universal way of doing goats throughout Africa. They found it very nostalgic. They eat the intestines after cleaning them out. My Ibo friend called the intestines umngwawa or close to that. And yes, they ate EVERYTHING! - Art

Author: wycowboy2 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 38186 of 743728
Subject: Re: OT -- Coyote Control Date: 5/9/2001 6:36 PM
I vaguely seem to remember something along those lines. The "greenies" have a solution for everything and we probably paid for their research grants/studies too.

What BLM (Bureau of Land Mismanagement) has done: instead of just shooting the coyotes, they put out cyanide bombs. Problem is the transplanted wolves don't know they're not supposed to eat these little incendiary devices.

We don't lose as many sheep/cattle to coyotes as we do to wolves and grizzlies. And, we are compensated for our losses. Although not a market value.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement