UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 745947  
Subject: OT -- Get Your College Degree in Golf? Date: 8/15/2001 2:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/glf/1007593

Fore: University preparing Britain's first degree in golf
Associated Press

LONDON -- A British university is preparing the nation's first degree course in golf. Hackers need not apply.

It will take a handicap of 4 or better even to be considered for the bachelor of arts' program at the University of Birmingham, which will hold many classes at The Belfry, the site of next month's Ryder Cup.

Classes start a year from now. Only 25 students will be accepted for Applied Golf Management Studies, and already applications are flooding in from around the globe.

"Let's put it this way, I've hardly been off the phone talking with people who are interested," said Martin Toms, who is overseeing the program at the university's school of education.

The new program mirrors 11 fully accredited degree programs in the United States. Just like at Penn State, Florida State or New Mexico State, Birmingham students will take courses in equipment technology, analysis of swing theory, golf event management and psychology of golf.

A 4-handicap is probably the equivalent of scoring 1400 on your SATs.

intercst

Print the post Back To Top
Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48191 of 745947
Subject: Re: OT -- Get Your College Degree in Golf? Date: 8/15/2001 2:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Will it take real balls to do it?

Author: BeanieMike One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48193 of 745947
Subject: Re: OT -- Get Your College Degree in Golf? Date: 8/15/2001 2:50 PM
For those who don't have 1400 SATs or an aversion to dentists, there's a 2-yr. program at the San Diego Golf Academy [locations in Myrtle Beach, Phoenix and Orlando.] I don't know the fees for this one [they mention financial aid!], but there's another similar school north of me that's about $19K and tells you up front you'll be lucky to get a job at 8$/hr.

SDGA boasts up to 4 days a week on the courses as opposed to UB's "99% classroom and laboratory based."
The school has been around for 27 years and boasts more than 4,000 graduates worldwide. In other words, there's a lot of room for networking.

It sounds like a great choice for someone who's already FI.

Author: cmorford Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48202 of 745947
Subject: Re: OT -- Get Your College Degree in Golf? Date: 8/15/2001 3:36 PM
There's a Golf program at Eastern Carolina University in Greenville,NC...

I dated a girl who was in the program for awhile...

She was a golf nut and alas, I was not...

Chuck - The best part of playing golf is getting drunk and driving the cart...

Author: golfwaymore Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48217 of 745947
Subject: Re: OT -- Get Your College Degree in Golf? Date: 8/15/2001 4:31 PM

It ain't so Intercst!

I scored a 1280 on my SATs but I doubt I'll ever see near a 4-handicap.

The practice, however, is undoubtedly more enjoyable. <grin>

Golfwaymore

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48220 of 745947
Subject: Re: OT -- Get Your College Degree in Golf? Date: 8/15/2001 5:04 PM
Recommendations: 1
golfwaymore writes,

It ain't so Intercst!

I scored a 1280 on my SATs but I doubt I'll ever see near a 4-handicap.

If we had the 4-handicap and the 1400 SAT score in the same person, it would be extraordinary. <grin>

My point was, less than 1% of high school students get 1400 on the SAT, and less than 1% of golfers who bother to calculate a legitimate handicap are a 4 or less.

intercst

Author: golfwaymore Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48221 of 745947
Subject: Re: OT -- Get Your College Degree in Golf? Date: 8/15/2001 5:04 PM
Chuck - The best part of playing golf is getting drunk and driving the cart...

Strangely enough, you left out the gal riding around in the beer cart. <grin>

Golfwaymore

Author: cmorford Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48241 of 745947
Subject: Re: OT -- Get Your College Degree in Golf? Date: 8/16/2001 7:35 AM
GWM said: Strangely enough, you left out the gal riding around in the beer cart. <grin>

Ya know, I've only golfed twice, an only seen those on TV, not in real life...

We carried our own cooler both times...Once at my uncle's club and once on an Air Force course...

Chuck - Playing golf with my commander was weird (Me:E-5 SSGT, He:O-6 Bird Colonel)...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement