UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886533  
Subject: OT - Helping Date: 11/1/2012 6:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've been looking at the various relief organizations that are helping with the cleanup from Hurricane Sandy. I know the emergency help is necessary and is saving lives. But I really want to donate to a group that will help rebuild houses and get small businesses reopened.

I've found Habitat for Humanity and Samaritan's Purse, but I wondered if anyone knew of some other group that helps in the rebuilding efforts so that people can get out of the shelters and start rebuilding their lives.

Any suggestions?

Nancy
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868531 of 886533
Subject: Re: OT - Helping Date: 11/1/2012 9:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I used to live in Hoboken, NJ, so I plan to give directly to an organization there - such as their hospital or a shelter-type organization.

So you might want to decide on an area (or state) and do a little research to any smaller organization or direct office of a larger nonprofit so that your donation goes directly to what you're hoping to help, instead of just general administrative functions.

You're also active on the Pet Lovers board - some of the animal shelters around the NJ/NY area allowed people to "drop off" their pets pre-Sandy just as a shelter (not giving up their pets) so that they could then go to a people shelter, so that's another way you could give.

I have some friends in the NJ/NY area, so I'm waiting a bit to see what comes up, as I'm sure more direct-local rebuilding efforts will start up after the current emergency situation and be in need of donations.

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868543 of 886533
Subject: Re: OT - Helping Date: 11/2/2012 9:42 PM
Recommendations: 5
But I really want to donate to a group that will help rebuild houses and get small businesses reopened.

I would wait for a few months and check with a number of churches in your area. After Katrina, a number of Baptist organizations came into our area to help with emergency aid to homeowners (my BIL come down with a couple of friends from his church to patch roofs, clear away downed trees, etc. ) The next spring/summer, a number of other church groups (Roman Catholic, Lutheran, etc. ) sent youth groups down on “mission trips” to help residents rebuild, especially in the poorer areas of N’Orleans. These “mission trips” have continued through the years until this fall. The kids need tools, paint brushes, gloves, etc., etc.
;-)

C.J.V. - that is probably your best “bang for your buck” IMHO, me

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868686 of 886533
Subject: Re: OT - Helping Date: 11/12/2012 8:33 AM
Recommendations: 0
I posted this on another board, but since you asked about this, I thought I'd post it here as well.

DD is involved in a project at school to help raise money for Hurricane Sandy victims, specifically those individuals living in Long Island who are not expected to have power for 1-3 MONTHS!

She's asked me to pass the link along to others in hopes of reaching their goal. Here's the link:

https://www.wepay.com/donations/362186915?fb_action_ids=4348...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement