UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886579  
Subject: OT: High blood pressure --> brain damage Date: 11/14/2012 1:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/12/high-blood-pressure...

New York Times, November 12, 2012
High Blood Pressure Tied to Brain Changes
By NICHOLAS BAKALAR

High blood pressure may cause harmful brain changes in people as young as 40, a study suggests.

In the report, published online Nov. 2 in Lancet Neurology, researchers measured blood pressure in 579 men and women whose average age was 39, then examined their brains with magnetic resonance imaging. After adjusting for smoking, hypertension treatment and total cranial volume, they found that higher systolic blood pressure — the most common form of hypertension — was associated with decreases in gray matter volume and significant injury to white matter. Moreover, there was a dose-response relationship: The higher the blood pressure, the greater the visible changes. [end quote]

This study had a reasonably large (though not gigantic) data set considering that magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is expensive. The amazing thing is that the brain damage caused by high blood pressure is visible in structural damage to the brain even when people are young and don’t have symptoms.

My systolic blood pressure can spike as high as 145 when I feel stressed (for example, if I’m late to an appointment). However, by doing yoga breathing and relaxation, I can bring it down to 109 within a couple of minutes. I’m truly amazed that mood makes such an immediate difference in blood pressure, but I have actually had it measured in a doctor’s office so I know it’s true.

Now that I know that high blood pressure can actually cause physical damage to brain cells, I will make a particular effort to stay calm and do yoga relaxation. If I had known this when I was younger (when I was very stressed at work), I would have made a special effort to learn to relax.

The medical community recommends medication to treat high blood pressure. However, reducing sodium chloride salt in the diet and practicing meditation and relaxation has worked for me. It is definitely worth learning yoga meditation and relaxation techniques.

This may actually be on-topic for the LBYM Board because meditation is free while blood pressure meds are expensive.

Wendy {cross-posted to METAR)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement