UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (57) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61960  
Subject: OT: house values... Date: 2/14/2007 11:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
See whose 'rich' and who is poor...

go to www.zillow.com and type in your address..no need to register..then check out your neighbors, or bill gates...to see how much the tax folks think your house is worth....

www.zillow.com

If you cash out of an expensive house, move to TX or MS or AR or AL, and buy an inexpensive home, if you haven't 'cashed out' all your equity, you might be able to retire early.

"Downsizing"...

Interesting thread on moving to Panama..you can live well, with a maid, garderner, have world class medical care, eat well, and live on $1200 month, about what SS might pay you if you had a 'middle class income' level while you worked...and you are able to retire now and get SS, or have savings to fund you until you get to SS age....or you don't 'need' SS....or maybe get a pension....(Gov't workers don't get SS..never pay it...they get pensions from the Fed saving plan when they are eligible to retire at whatever age - 50, 55, etc...same for military)......except some of them double dip...get military pension, then other pension or some other stuff....

t.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1989 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 8:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Zillow finally shows our more/less correct location on the street/town. Their synopsis of our property is wrong -- they have us in a 4BR (we're officially a 2BR) house that's larger than reality by about 40%. I know the town doesn't believe we're in that size of house.

Their "Zestimate" is chosen from within a uselessly wide (IMHO) price range, too, so hard telling whether they're basing it on actual tax data or not.

--FY

Author: GusSmed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1990 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 8:44 AM
Their synopsis of our property is wrong -- they have us in a 4BR (we're officially a 2BR) house that's larger than reality by about 40%.

They've got us correct, though the aerial photo doesn't show the garage we built 2 years ago. The "zestimate" is our purchase price, no big surprise there. As you say, the range is ridiculously wide, and they certainly haven't updated it using our most recent tax assessment.

The most interesting thing about the site is seeing real estate values in map form. The prices are more uniform that I expected, given the disparity in actual house sizes. Of course, since the dollar values are somewhat suspect, I'm not sure it's of any real value.

- Gus

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1991 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 8:50 AM
They've got us correct, though the aerial photo doesn't show the garage we built 2 years ago.

The aerial photo doesn't seem to even show construction on our house lot, which started in 2003. (Kinda hard to tell, given the relatively poor resolution, since we took some pains not to clear more than necessary of the lot. But I'm pretty sure we'd be able to see some signs of disturbance / tree-cutting on that scale.)

--FY

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1994 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 9:40 AM
You might wish to check what the town assessor actually has for your house....it might have been 're-assessed' by someone eager to increase tax revenues at your expense...taxing you on extra bedrooms and space!.... your tax bill might go down....

they were right on on my house......

t.

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1995 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 10:39 AM
Their "Zestimate" is chosen from within a uselessly wide (IMHO) price range, too, so hard telling whether they're basing it on actual tax data or not.

They have nothing at all on Ye Olde Family Homestead, small town in W. Penna., now occupied/owned by my uncle. My uncle says it's worth $100K (which to him seems an incredible amount of money and for a dying small town, probably is); I say you'd be lucky to get $30K (needs a ton of work).

My uncle never married and uses that house over the heads of his 4 neices (me and my 3 cousins). He changes his will whenever he gets mad at anyone. He called a couple of weeks ago to tell me that he had "cut" one cousin out of his will but I'm still in. I have no idea how much money he has, but I'm not counting on anything more than lunch money. Funnily enough, the one cousin who wants the house has been cut out.

Some people's families!

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1998 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 10:59 AM
Recommendations: 3

My uncle never married and uses that house over the heads of his 4 neices (me and my 3 cousins). He changes his will whenever he gets mad at anyone. He called a couple of weeks ago to tell me that he had "cut" one cousin out of his will but I'm still in. I have no idea how much money he has, but I'm not counting on anything more than lunch money. Funnily enough, the one cousin who wants the house has been cut out.

Some people's families!

Oy! All of your cousins (and you) should just walk away and tell him to keep the damned house! That's what I did with my mother - who didn't have a house but had a small fortune (to me) in investments. She would forever get angry with me and accuse me of all kinds of things since I was the primary trustee of her living trust and had control of the money. (I think she had had a couple of small undetectable strokes and just wasn't thinking straight -- but I'll never know now.) So I flew back at her one day and told her I would personally drive her down to her lawyer's office the next day and she could remove me completely from the trust and from her will -- that way she would no longer have to worry about me spending her money (which I was absolutely not doing, by the way). She was so taken aback that she just shut up and never mentioned it again.

I just decided it wasn't worth it to be accused falsely of wrong-doing or having her holding "the money" over my head. Keeee-riced! Life is just too short for that kind of nonsense. Better to be a poor person with dignity than a slave to some Simon Legree (male OR female). :o)

Never EVER live your life to please some geezer with a pocketbook.
You lose every shred of personal dignity if you do.

AM

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2000 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 11:17 AM
I just decided it wasn't worth it to be accused falsely of wrong-doing or having her holding "the money" over my head. Keeee-riced! Life is just too short for that kind of nonsense. Better to be a poor person with dignity than a slave to some Simon Legree (male OR female). :o)

Funny that you mentioned being accused falsely -- The last time I visited (a couple of years ago) he accused me of stealing his pants(!). I hung up on him and eventually got a letter saying he found his pants, so he forgave me (not exactly, but that's the jist of it and it's funnier that way). He says my other uncle, when he visited about 8 years ago (too old and feeble to visit now) stole the bedspread. The latest is that he accused a cousin (the one who lives closest) of stealing something (I forget what). When she protested, he "cut her out."

The family has always cut him lots of slack b/c he's mercurial and unpredictable and has the craziest ideas (would be comfortable on original RE board). But, no, my behavior isn't dictated by pie-in-the-sky promises of some uncertain amount of money.

In my 20s I cut off all contact, re-established it when my mother died several years ago. My behavior is now tempered by his age -- I gain nothing but guilt by fighting with him. We're down to exchanging Xmas cards and speaking about 3x a year.

Never EVER live your life to please some geezer with a pocketbook.
You lose every shred of personal dignity if you do.

Words to live by.

Author: LtUhura Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2011 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 12:36 PM
Recommendations: 2
Zillow finally shows our more/less correct location on the street/town. Their synopsis of our property is wrong -- they have us in a 4BR (we're officially a 2BR) house that's larger than reality by about 40%. I know the town doesn't believe we're in that size of house.

I market real estate, and I can tell you that Zillow is not a reliable tool in any sense of the word. The only way to get an accurate indication on how much your house is worth is by getting it assessed, which you may or may not want to do unless you are putting your home on the market. If you have made any improvements or renovations, your assessment may go up and your tax bill with it. Just sayin'.

Uhura

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2013 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 12:49 PM

I market real estate, and I can tell you that Zillow is not a reliable tool in any sense of the word.

is it just randomly bad ...or systematically high?

( i know it can't be low, given what it said for my house )

ie, would 80% of zillow be a reasonable guess?

=

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2016 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 12:57 PM

There's an article about it in today's print WSJ. Basically, the more similar the house is to the comps, the better the estimate. Zillow seems to have issues picking up nuances of areas.

rad

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2022 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 1:19 PM

There's an article about it in today's print WSJ. Basically, the more similar the house is to the comps, the better the estimate. Zillow seems to have issues picking up nuances of areas.

that would be tricky.

weird it is ..... has me in 3BR (i'm only 2), but has most of my neighbors correct .... has the house across the street ,which sold about a yr ago, pretty close to asking price.

so maybe their guess for me is actually close.

=

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2025 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 2:11 PM
I market real estate, and I can tell you that Zillow is not a reliable tool in any sense of the word. The only way to get an accurate indication on how much your house is worth is by getting it assessed, which you may or may not want to do unless you are putting your home on the market. If you have made any improvements or renovations, your assessment may go up and your tax bill with it. Just sayin'.

Thanks, that was pretty much my impression of Zillow, too.

We honestly don't care whether our home's value goes up or down, as long as our taxes don't go up. I'm in no hurry to advertise the improvements to the town. ;-) The goal's to pay it off and live forever in it.

--FY

Author: LtUhura Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2026 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 2:58 PM

There's an article about it in today's print WSJ. Basically, the more similar the house is to the comps, the better the estimate.

And there's the rub. Setting a house price based on comps doesn't work in this market. It used to be you could say, "My neighbor got $X for his house a year ago, I want $X+10% (or 20% or whatever insane percentage)." What I've noticed lately is people pricing close to or even below assessmsent, and the agents all but begging me to include it in my ads.

My house is a two-family surrounded by condos. When Zillow did the comps for my house, instead of comparing similiar two-families in the same neighborhood or even town, they used condos instead. As a result, their information shows a ridiculously low price for my address.

Uhura

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2029 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 3:26 PM

We honestly don't care whether our home's value goes up or down, as long as our taxes don't go up. I'm in no hurry to advertise the improvements to the town. ;-) The goal's to pay it off and live forever in it.

--FY

You want to live forever in Massachusetts?????
Have you lost your mind, man???
That place has the highest taxes in the country and snow up to your ying-yang. ;o)

AM

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2030 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 3:28 PM

There's an article about it in today's print WSJ. Basically, the more similar the house is to the comps, the better the estimate.

<>

My house is a two-family surrounded by condos. When Zillow did the comps for my house, instead of comparing similiar two-families in the same neighborhood or even town, they used condos instead. As a result, their information shows a ridiculously low price for my address.

thanks. sounds like randomly bad.

wouldn't have really used the number anyway.

=j

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2032 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 3:30 PM
And there's the rub. Setting a house price based on comps doesn't work in this market. It used to be you could say, "My neighbor got $X for his house a year ago, I want $X+10% (or 20% or whatever insane percentage)." What I've noticed lately is people pricing close to or even below assessmsent, and the agents all but begging me to include it in my ads.

Uhura

You also can't compare your home's value to that of your neighbors because your house may be worth a lot more (or less) than the neighbors -- e.g., a neighborhood with all sizes, shapes, and prices of houses.

AND -- even when all the houses are almost identical, your house may be in much better shape than your neighbor's house because you've taken much better care of it over the years. Condition of the house and landscaping does make a difference -- not just the fact that the floor plan is no different from the neighbors.

AM

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2036 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 4:01 PM
Zillow is wildly off in my neighborhood for houses that haven't sold in a long time. I think they don't have accurate recent data for those houses.

Vickifool

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2040 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 5:24 PM
Recommendations: 5

My dream is for everyone else [*] to listen to you, move out, and leave me the hell alone. :-)

That place has the highest taxes in the country and snow up to your ying-yang. ;o)

What's wrong with snow? The only I dislike about it is getting to work in it.

Not true about the taxes thing, either.

--FY

[*] Okay, not everyone. Lizmonster and a few others can stay.

Author: lizmonster Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2042 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 5:50 PM

Actually, according to this article

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/Advice/TheBestAndWorstStatesForTaxes.aspx

we're sixth. As for snow, it hasn't reached my ying-yang since 1978. ;-) (In general, snow tends to be worse in places like Minnesaota, Wisconsin, and even Iowa.)

In all seriousness - I stay because I like the culture, and because the flora and fauna feel familiar and homey (I grew up here). I'm not interested in shaking that up for my retirement - I'll happily work longer, if necessary, so I can stay put. I'm lucky that DH has the same goal (we may actually have discussed it before we got married!).

YMMV. I don't expect anyone else to feel the same way.

-lizmonster

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2048 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 6:28 PM
In general, snow tends to be worse in places like Minnesaota, Wisconsin,

Not to mention taxes. The last time I looked, those two were in the top 10 states for overall tax burden.

Phil

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2049 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 6:28 PM

It has our NJ house's 2006 sale price spot on.
It values the house we sold in 2000 in Dunwoody/Atlanta at 75K less than we sold it for and barely more than we paid for it in 1991. I am certain that neighborhood has not gone down in value more than a few thousand, if that. Certainly not to 1991 levels.

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2050 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 6:40 PM
In general, snow tends to be worse in places like Minnesaota, Wisconsin,
==========
Not to mention taxes. The last time I looked, those two were in the top 10 states for overall tax burden.

With all the salt for the roads and snow plowing, it's easy to believe.

Author: LtUhura Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2051 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 6:45 PM
My dream is for everyone else [*] to listen to you, move out, and leave me the hell alone. :-)

Especially my neighbors who like to take their marital spats out into the parking lot for everyone to enjoy.

Not true about the taxes thing, either.

Vouch.

[*] Okay, not everyone. Lizmonster and a few others can stay.

I'm not going anywhere. But the loud neighbors are welcome to leave whenever they want.

Uhura

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2053 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 6:57 PM

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/Advice/TheBestAndWorstStatesForTaxes.aspx

we're sixth. As for snow, it hasn't reached my ying-yang since 1978. ;-) (In general, snow tends to be worse in places like Minnesaota, Wisconsin, and even Iowa.)

In all seriousness - I stay because I like the culture, and because the flora and fauna feel familiar and homey (I grew up here). I'm not interested in shaking that up for my retirement - I'll happily work longer, if necessary, so I can stay put. I'm lucky that DH has the same goal (we may actually have discussed it before we got married!).

-lizmonster

LOL!
Sounds like you two have it together.
Wish I could be so certain of place. :)

AM

Author: tootru Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2054 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 6:59 PM
I'm not going anywhere. But the loud neighbors are welcome to leave whenever they want.

I'm pretty quiet ... y'all mind if I come visit sometime? (FY, Liz, Uhura ... all good peoples)

t.

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2055 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 7:12 PM
Especially my neighbors who like to take their marital spats out into the parking lot for everyone to enjoy.

They'd probably argue less if they moved somewhere else, where it doesn't snow as much and taxes were lower...

:)

--FY (marriage counselor and introvert curmedgeon)

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2056 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 7:25 PM
and introvert curmedgeon)

OCD: curmudgeon.

Dang it, I hate that. I blame being barfed on all day.

--FY

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2058 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 7:56 PM

In all seriousness - I stay because I like the culture, and because the flora and fauna feel familiar and homey (I grew up here).

I used to call it Taxachusetts. That was before I lived in CA.

Speaking of flora, I used to enjoy gathering mushrooms as a hobby. Usually didn't collect for the stew pot, but there were a very few I would eat. In MA, I went out once or twice, but found very few. Then one day walking around Walden Pond, I saw a white mushroom poking up through the leaves. "My, that looks like an Aminata Verna!" I sez. Upon closer examination, I decided it 95% likely was indeed Av. I had never seen one before, only pictures. They were all over the place! I worried that a child might eat one. This is one of the most deadly mushrooms there is. Nickname is "Destroying Angel". A pretty mushroom, very easy to identify, but almost every year I read about someone eating one. If the diarrhea doesn't kill you, the liver collapse does. If that doesn't, then the nerve destruction will. Nasty thing. I took one home and used the phone book to find out that the Micological Society was meet ing that night, so I took it over for a more authoritative identification. They said, "Yep, its an aminita. Put it over with the others." That kinda made me not interested in gathering mushrooms there any more.

cliff

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2060 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 8:17 PM
I used to call it Taxachusetts. That was before I lived in CA.

We still call bad drivers, "Massholes", FWIW.

Speaking of flora, I used to enjoy gathering mushrooms as a hobby.

The only mushroom I can identify with certainty is the morel. Have never seen it here, alas, only in Iowa.

Even my shroom-hating spouse might actually like a morel, dipped in egg-batter, then in crushed Ritz crackers, then fried until golden brown. Mmmm.

--FY

Author: lizmonster Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2061 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 8:20 PM
Even my shroom-hating spouse might actually like a morel, dipped in egg-batter, then in crushed Ritz crackers, then fried until golden brown. Mmmm.

Or maybe NOT.

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2062 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 8:27 PM

Agreed. Seem to be in the majority. Mass drivers are notorious.

There was a sign on I-95 as you entered Massachusetts saying "Welcome to Massachusetts". I wanted to add "The ME FIRST state".

But that was before I knew you and liz were there. 8^)

cliff

Author: lizmonster Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2063 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 8:33 PM
There was a sign on I-95 as you entered Massachusetts saying "Welcome to Massachusetts". I wanted to add "The ME FIRST state".

My favorite t-shirt that I never bought: "Welcome to Boston! Now go home."

But that was before I knew you and liz were there. 8^)

You know, I've never noticed that other people drive any worse than I do.

Oh, wait....

-lizmonster

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2064 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 8:33 PM

Or maybe NOT.

Liz you're a gal after my own heart.
:)

AM

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2066 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 8:56 PM

It has our NJ house's 2006 sale price spot on.

It values the house we sold in 2000 in Dunwoody/Atlanta at 75K less than we sold it for and barely more than we paid for it in 1991. I am certain that neighborhood has not gone down in value more than a few thousand, if that. Certainly not to 1991 levels.

thanks. further evidence they're just randomly wrong.

hasn't Everywhere gone up since 2000 ?

=j

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2067 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 8:59 PM
That place has the highest taxes in the country and snow up to your ying-yang. ;o

And I'm planning to live forever in New York City.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2068 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 9:02 PM

Or maybe NOT.

lol

i like 'shrooms and that doesn't sound good to me

=

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2069 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 9:04 PM

You know, I've never noticed that other people drive any worse than I do.

Oh, wait....

pretty sure it was GeorgeCarlin who said,

.Ever notice how everyone driving faster than you is a maniac ....and everyone driving slower is an idiot?

=

Author: GusSmed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2070 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 9:09 PM
pretty sure it was GeorgeCarlin who said,

.Ever notice how everyone driving faster than you is a maniac ....and everyone driving slower is an idiot?

Probably somewhere in his plan to save gas.

- Gus

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2071 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 9:15 PM

Probably somewhere in his plan to save gas.

heh.

pretty sure i heard it in one of his televised concerts ..... but could be wrong.

-j
...think you must admit my line is more Carlinesque than the "Plan to Save Gas"

Author: GusSmed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2072 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 9:24 PM

Oh, definitely. But I first heard that line 20 years ago, and it wasn't attributed to Carlin at the time. Which means nothing, since sometimes jokes get the author removed, just as sometimes the author gets added.

- Gus

Author: FordLove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2073 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 9:28 PM
Recommendations: 2

From what I have seen it should have read
"Welcome to Massachusetts"
"It is illegal to stay in the same lane for over 5 seconds"

Baby Brother had a hard time moving from Boston to Atlanta. He thought Southern drivers were awful. Boston drivers were insane, but it had a darwinistic element. Only the good survived. Many of the drivers in GA, according to him, don't seem to have nearly the same situational awareness.

Tomorrow I plan on being a bad driver. I have to drive from Philadelphia (well, just north) to Staten Island. During Rush hour. At least I wont have to worry about getting a ticket.

Ford

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2074 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 9:33 PM

Oh, definitely. But I first heard that line 20 years ago, and it wasn't attributed to Carlin at the time. Which means nothing, since sometimes jokes get the author removed, just as sometimes the author gets added.

google is my friend.

from
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0248828/quotes

IMDB says it's from "Carlin on Campus(1984)" ... but i did get it backwards
Have you ever noticed, when you're driving, that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?

and he might have stolen it.

=

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2076 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/15/2007 10:21 PM
Oh..mushrooms are good..especially in omelets and on pizza!....

Will have nice omelet Sat...every other day....with egg beaters, some mushrooms, cut up roma tomato, pinch of ceddar cheese...

And sunday night is pizza night at the local pizza buffet ($4.86) for all you can eat..including small salad bar......

Tomorrow is a pancake day..might make some with Kamut...or might make some with buckwheat....then sit down with cup or two of coffee as I read the Financial Times....

No need to rush out in the 30 degree weather. First time is going out to get the mail at about 11:30 am.....but the ole car might have to take a trip to the Honda place...seems to be developing a problem....17 years old, so I guess you got to expect a problem every 5 or 10 years. Otherwise, change the oil once a year.....and drive and drive...

zillow fairly accurate here in the suburbs..... two houses on my street for sale, though...been for sale for 6 months.....too many new homes being sold here....thousands and thousands of them....no shortage of land between Dallas and the OK border....

t.

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2094 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/16/2007 10:52 AM

If I could afford it and ChiliSpouse would agree to it, I'd live in NYC. It was living in NJ that turned me off the northeast.
NYC stands alone--and best.

Gayle

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2100 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/16/2007 11:25 AM

If I could afford it and ChiliSpouse would agree to it, I'd live in NYC. It was living in NJ that turned me off the northeast.
NYC stands alone--and best.

Gayle

If I were really rich and could afford all the things that NYC offers, including an apartment/condo with boo-coo floorspace (so I don't feel like I'm living in a closet) I would live there, too. Would love to be able to go to the Met (and sit in a seat) or to Broadway (and sit in a seat) :o), and eat at all the wonderful restaurants (Little Italy - yum!)

But I hate -- HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE -- Kennedy Airport. OMG! Just kill me if I ever have to fly out of (or into) that nightmare again.

I have a friend that lives in NYC -- and he loves it. He will probably die there. Which reminds me.... I really should find out if he's still alive... :o)

AM

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2105 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/16/2007 11:49 AM

-lizmonster

-----

and after all;

"You can get anything you want, at Alice's Restaurant."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice's_Restaurant

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2107 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/16/2007 11:51 AM
But I hate -- HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE -- Kennedy Airport.

Kennedy is an often-necessary evil when traveling abroad and it is a nightmare. I'll tell you sometime (say, May?) about how we avoided driving to JFK from NJ for our Dec. 2005 trip to Chile. It was convoluted, but after landing at JFK in a snowstorm, we were really glad we did it.

If you have a choice, pick Newark (EWR). You can take a NJTransit train into Penn Station from there and not have to deal with traffic. I told a friend who lives in NYC about this feature for a couple of years before she deigned to try it and she raved about the convenience.

Yes, NYC is a world unto itself and a fabulous one at that.

Gayle

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2109 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/16/2007 11:53 AM

Gayle

And not only that.... but the sidewalks glitter! ;o)

AM

Author: LtUhura Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2116 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/16/2007 12:41 PM

No, we are not bad drivers. We are creative drivers. If we drove the way we do and were bad at it, we would all be dead. Several times over. It takes real talent to cut across three lanes of traffic for a last minute left turn and not cause an accident.

Uhura

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2120 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/16/2007 12:49 PM
If you have a choice, pick Newark (EWR). You can take a NJTransit train into Penn Station from there and not have to deal with traffic. I told a friend who lives in NYC about this feature for a couple of years before she deigned to try it and she raved about the convenience.
-----

I was born & raised in Elizabeth. After I moved to KY(1970) I would fly home to visit; land at EWR and walk home. Last time I tried that though, the expansion had me so confused I had to call one of my brothers to come get me.

Trains to NYC run regular through/from Eliz. too!

Rich
-no immediate fambly in Eliz. anymore, though my first cousin is mayor!

Author: tenworlds Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2121 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/16/2007 12:52 PM
Gayle

And not only that.... but the sidewalks glitter! ;o)
AM

-----

Yeah, but ya gotta be careful around all those smashed-up cheap wine and beer bottles!

;-)

Rich
-knows NYC

Author: cliff666 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2161 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/16/2007 5:45 PM
No, we are not bad drivers. We are creative drivers. If we drove the way we do and were bad at it, we would all be dead. Several times over. It takes real talent to cut across three lanes of traffic for a last minute left turn and not cause an accident.

Uhura

This is where I mention how much my collision insurance went down when I moved from MA to CA.

cliff

Author: johnmoni Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2208 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/17/2007 2:13 PM
"Gov't workers don't get SS..never pay it...they get pensions from the Fed saving plan when they are eligible to retire at whatever age - 50, 55, etc...same for military)"

Just a slight clarification for you regarding Government pensions (this applies to almost all, but not 100% of, Govt. civilian employees.)

Federal employees hired before 1986 participate in the Civil Service Retirement System (CSRS.) It is a traditional-pension based system, in which they make regular payroll contributions (7% of salary) to the fund, and the annuity is calculated based on a formula that considers age, employee's "high-3" average salary and number of years in the system. CSRS participants do not pay into Social Security (but can't collect based on those years of employment either.)

Those hired starting in 1986 and thereafter, participate in the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS.) In that system, their retirement is made up of 3 components: a very small traditional pension, Social Security and their Federal 401K (known as the Thrift Savings Plan - TSP) savings. The TSP component for FERS participants also offers matching payments on a graduated scale, similar to that in which many private sector employees are enrolled.

More info here:

http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0406/040706rp.htm

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2247 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/18/2007 12:25 AM
<<That place has the highest taxes in the country and snow up to your ying-yang. ;o)>>

But a thinking person might prefer to live in a state with higher taxes as the services there would undoubtedly be better than in states with much lower taxes. Not only would the services be better, but the overall quality of life would better since the people are more cared for!

Author: StarWarriorRie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2360 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/18/2007 10:34 PM
the house we sold in 2000 in Dunwoody/Atlanta

Small world...

I lived in Dunwoody in 1998-1999.

;)

StarWarrior Rie

Author: StarWarriorRie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2361 of 61960
Subject: Re: OT: house values... Date: 2/18/2007 10:58 PM
This is where I mention how much my collision insurance went down when I moved from MA to CA.

cliff

I lived in several small towns and one city in NH not far from the MA state line. My car insurance went up and down every time I moved. It was determined by how close I was to MA.

;)

StarWarrior Rie

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (57) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement