Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 439306  
Subject: OT: Hungry vs full in America Date: 12/3/2012 1:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Being hungry in America won't kill you, but ironically being full can.

How strange that we are so well off that we have managed to take one of life's basic instincts...hunger...and turn it completely around and now it can kill.

Been having a conversation with someone recently about weight gain. They know it is bad and they have started and stopped multiple attempts. Me being me, and a little to straight forward at times, I have suggested, "Don't each that much." To which they respond, "But I'm still hungry after that little bit."

Next time my response will be "tuff t1tt1es, a little hunger won't kill you, getting obese will".
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414174 of 439306
Subject: Re: OT: Hungry vs full in America Date: 12/3/2012 1:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
That is ironic, isn't it. We have health problems because of too much food, instead of most places that have not enough. The health consequences seem to be just as dramatic either way.

Regarding your friend, you might point out that your "full" response is delayed from the time you're actually full. Not sure if that's a survival thing built into our genes (to make sure we ate enough), or if it's somehow a defect. But either way, if you friend finished his first helping and then waits about 30 minutes before getting seconds, he may find he doesn't want the seconds after all.

Getting really sick seems to work well also. Last time I didn't eat much for probably three days, and when I did finally start eating again I found I didn't want as much. It's still holding, several months later. I can eat more, but I find the urge to do so reduced. I probably lost 5 lbs that week, and I think I've only put 1 lb back on. Which I regard as in the 'noise', since your weight changes that much just by going to the bathroom.

1poorguy

Author: SpeedBump13 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414177 of 439306
Subject: Re: OT: Hungry vs full in America Date: 12/3/2012 2:00 PM
I have suggested, "Don't each that much." To which they respond, "But I'm still hungry after that little bit."

One of the things I've learned by being conscious of my eating habits is that your stomach can change size. Overeating for two to four weeks can actually increase the size of your stomach, so that it takes more food to feel as full. http://www.robynflipse.com/articles/GH-Shrink-Stomach.html

I tend to eat as lot out of guilt and boredom, so I compensate by keeping exercise at a high level, but can never seem to lose that last inch of fat around my midsection. Keeping a food and exercise journal also helps.

-Wes (age 47, 6 feet 1/2 inch, 192 lbs)

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414181 of 439306
Subject: Re: OT: Hungry vs full in America Date: 12/3/2012 2:27 PM
Yeah, believe it or not, I have a degree in Nutrition and I have explained these kinds of things over and over and over. There seems to be this approach in America, like some weird self-tape that insists that hunger must be completely sated.

Author: n8larson Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414183 of 439306
Subject: Re: OT: Hungry vs full in America Date: 12/3/2012 2:40 PM
Recommendations: 1
There seems to be this approach in America, like some weird self-tape that insists that hunger must be completely sated.

I blame restaurants, and even more so the ridiculously dangerous "all-you-can-eat buffet" concept. I try to remind the kiddos that the goal of eating isn't to be full, but to be not hungry anymore. Seconding an earlier poster's point about the lag between when the food gets swallowed and when your brain recognizes it in the "am I still hungry?" ledger, I put a grammatically incorrect* stickynote on the edge my monitor at work that says "EAT SLOW" (I do about 50% of my eating at my desk).

-n8 (*helps me notice it better)

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414185 of 439306
Subject: Re: OT: Hungry vs full in America Date: 12/3/2012 2:58 PM
I blame restaurants, and even more so the ridiculously dangerous "all-you-can-eat buffet" concept. I try to remind the kiddos that the goal of eating isn't to be full, but to be not hungry anymore. Seconding an earlier poster's point about the lag between when the food gets swallowed and when your brain recognizes it in the "am I still hungry?" ledger, I put a grammatically incorrect* stickynote on the edge my monitor at work that says "EAT SLOW" (I do about 50% of my eating at my desk).

Also, the sugar, salt and fat in a lot of our food encourages binging. Ever had the "I'm full but can't stop" issue?

6, cuz it's so delicious!

Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414187 of 439306
Subject: Re: OT: Hungry vs full in America Date: 12/3/2012 3:26 PM
I used to be like your friend. What changed it was getting gestational diabetes. Somehow having to change my eating habits for the health of my baby was motivating in a way that changing for myself never was. After three months of eating healthier for her, the most important lesson I learned was that I could do it. So I kept it up after she was born and lost a lot of weight.

Recently I put a little back on, and have started cracking down again. (Not the best time of year to do it, but oh well.) What makes it easier is knowing that I can, because I have done it before. It also makes it easier that I didn't let myself gain back all the weight, only a small fraction.

Sometimes people need a push that makes it feel like failure is not an option in order to see that they could have succeeded the whole time.

DEG

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414188 of 439306
Subject: Re: OT: Hungry vs full in America Date: 12/3/2012 3:37 PM

Been having a conversation with someone recently about weight gain. They know it is bad and they have started and stopped multiple attempts. Me being me, and a little to straight forward at times, I have suggested, "Don't each that much." To which they respond, "But I'm still hungry after that little bit."

Maybe suggest they eat more "bulky" foods that are low in calorie, fat and simple sugars. If one's eating lightly dressed salads 3X a day with ingredients that don't have high fat content, it's hard to get fat on greens, no matter how much you eat. And maybe point out eventually the "hunger" feeling will go away as their stomach shrinks.

I have the opposite problem - I'm petite, my torso is shortened from spinal surgery, and I can't eat a lot in one sitting. I should eat "heart healthy" - but it can be hard to eat a low-fat diet and still get enough necessary calories if one can't eat that much volume since a gram of fat contains more calories.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414198 of 439306
Subject: Re: OT: Hungry vs full in America Date: 12/3/2012 5:09 PM
How strange that we are so well off that we have managed to take one of life's basic instincts...hunger...and turn it completely around and now it can kill.

one of the things Plato got almost right:

"Moderation in all things."
even moderation

(tell your friend there's a Miracle diet i stumbled on recently (on PBS of course: Seven Foods you must Stop eating /or some such

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414201 of 439306
Subject: Re: OT: Hungry vs full in America Date: 12/3/2012 5:52 PM
jt: one of the things Plato got almost right:

even moderation

Moderation in rape, murder, incest?

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414202 of 439306
Subject: Re: OT: Hungry vs full in America Date: 12/3/2012 5:55 PM

even moderation

I have a hunch Plato was talking about legal moral stuff... so we can prolly add suicide to your list of crimes.

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414208 of 439306
Subject: Re: OT: Hungry vs full in America Date: 12/3/2012 6:27 PM
Recommendations: 3
Getting really sick seems to work well also

Yeah. One of my brothers got cancer. A year after the diagnosis (and after a several of rounds of chemo/radiation) he no longer had high blood pressure and was able to dispense with the pills; his Type 2 diabetes had also "disappeared". Hard way to lose weight though and not recommended.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414210 of 439306
Subject: Re: OT: Hungry vs full in America Date: 12/3/2012 6:55 PM
OK...there's "sick" and there's "sick". I was just referring to some nasty something that put me down for a few days and killed my appetite. 1poorlady could barely get me to accept eating bread, much less any real food. Can't say as I "recommend" it, but it did work. I'm still several pounds off my highest, and mostly holding.

Your brother's route was much worse. Though it sounds like everything worked out in the end, so that's good.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414214 of 439306
Subject: Re: OT: Hungry vs full in America Date: 12/3/2012 9:27 PM
jt: one of the things Plato got almost right:

even moderation

==========

yup.
'moderation' means 'not too much' ...

sometimes anything more than Zero is too much

eg, Rape,
some sorts of incest

( sometimes more than once is too much. eg, suicide

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414229 of 439306
Subject: Re: OT: Hungry vs full in America Date: 12/4/2012 10:25 AM
Recommendations: 5
Your brother's route was much worse. Though it sounds like everything worked out in the end, so that's good.

Well the thing is ya know with doctors (unless it's really really bad news) they just don't want to give you a definitive answer. Hedging of the bets. But yeah his last two scans were clean. And believe me he is being pretty obnoxious about his rather spectacular weight loss and the fact that he can fit into his "fighting trim" clothes from 30 years ago. while the cancer would have killed him if left unchecked, it never made him as "sick" as the treatment made him. And although he has recovered pretty much from the treatment, since it was throat cancer, the radiation has apparently zapped his taste buds (or maybe it was the chemo) and he still doesn't like the taste of food although he can now swallow. The best he can hope for is "bland" so it looks like he might keep the weight off. He eats now based strictly on nutrition and getting x-number of calories in his body everyday. Which is pretty sad because he loved to cook, is an awesome cook, and even developped some seasonings that he has marketed. Actually he still cooks but can't taste if what he's cooking is any good or not. A couple of his friends have volunteered for the job of full time taste-testers.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414230 of 439306
Subject: Re: OT: Hungry vs full in America Date: 12/4/2012 10:45 AM
Wow, sissy.
The very best to your brother.

AM

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414233 of 439306
Subject: Re: OT: Hungry vs full in America Date: 12/4/2012 11:02 AM
Hey AM - didn't you notice that my little avatar (?) on FB is a Hawaaian shirt? That's because my brother decided that he would try to wear a different most gawdawf.... excuse me, stridently colourful, Hawaaian shirt for each dr visit and/or treatment session. His avowed purpose was to make sure the medical personnel stayed "alert" while they were taking liberties with his body. He had a small but colourful selection of shirts; so the siblings and friends decided that we would start gifting him with Hawaaian shirts to help him out and we set up a members only FB page so we could post a picture of each shirt as we acquired and sent it on, to insure that we didn't get duplicates. They were magnificent. And he ended up with way more shirts than visits to the dr's office or hospital. He never had to wear a shirt a second time.

The other thing that was unexpected but absolutely great was the use of cyber-social-media by him. He started a by invitation blog so he could keep everyone up-to-date on what was going on so we wouldn't have to rely on 3rd or 4th hand accounts of his situation. This was especially needed since he lost the use of his voice early on. There was no point in phoning him, he couldn't talk anyway. The whole blog thing was wonderful - cathartic for him as he could ramble on and informative for all of us so we could keep up and know if he needed anything or what was going on. As an added plus it finally got Bella-Boo to settle down and get really good at reading and writing because she was ...uhm... religious about posting a note to him everyday. I mean I suspected all along that she could ready and write, but she just couldn't be bothered. Once she had a reason to do so though it was obvious that she was quite proficient at it. Anyway I'm retty sure cancer sucks in a really big way now above and beyond just killing you but he (so far) is one of the lucky ones - good insurance, good doctors, great support net of friends and family.

Author: AngelMay Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414234 of 439306
Subject: Re: OT: Hungry vs full in America Date: 12/4/2012 11:12 AM
Yes! I had seen the avatar, but didn't really "get it". Now I understand. So glad your brother is doing well - hope he continues and goes on to completely beat this thing.

Good news about Bella, too! Keep her reading! :)

Hugs to all of you.

AM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement