Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFBreakerRob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 18154  
Subject: OT: I Did It! Date: 9/29/2012 10:02 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
This is completely off topic, but I'm excited to share this....

Woohoo! I did it! :D

For the first time ever... <drum roll>.... I ran a complete 5k, no walking. 3.11 miles in 37:54, about 12:12 minutes/mile. Going up the hills out here was the hardest of course. LOL I could have gone a bit faster, but wanted to be sure I could go the distance. As it turned out, it wasn't bad at all. A sunny morning at 46 degrees.

That completes my "Couch to 5K" program.

Next step: "Hal Higdon's Training Program" for the half marathon. :) That's a 13 week program, although I may very well stretch it out longer if necessary in order to build up my endurance properly. For those who don't know about it, I walked a half marathon this Spring (The Flying Pig Marathon in Cincinnati...LOL) and my goal is to return next Spring and run it. Why?, you may ask? To be in better shape so I can do more fun things in life... and to lose weight. So far, so good. I'm not huffing and puffing to do things, I'm losing weight (still too fat!) and I have a real feeling of accomplishment.

Rob
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jamesp717 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17184 of 18154
Subject: Re: OT: I Did It! Date: 9/29/2012 10:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Congratulations Rob, good job !

James

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17186 of 18154
Subject: Re: OT: I Did It! Date: 9/29/2012 12:02 PM
Congrats on the diligence Rob. I'm starting up on some serious get in shape things now. Biggest item to address is loss of flexibility, primarily due to Sitting ;)

I've been out of running for decades, and I doubt I could make much of a comeback. The last full marathon I ran was in 1972. (3:40 at age 16) A lot has happened to the old body since then, much of it as a result of the constant pavement pounding from those days.

I tried to prepare for a local marathon the last couple of years. Possibly just part of a relay, or doing half. I just can't get the mind excited about it enough to be serious. I know I'd have to lose 40 pounds, and I'd never be competitive, even in my age class.

So Kudos to you for setting a goal, meeting it, and moving on further. It is a big accomplishment.

Author: KennyO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17187 of 18154
Subject: Re: OT: I Did It! Date: 9/29/2012 1:06 PM
Congratulations, BIGTIME, Rob! You're definitely going the right direction.

I have a friend who's 67 and preparing to run his 26th (or is it his 30th?) marathon. He was diagnosed in 1986 with young onset Parkinson's Disease and ran his first marathon ten years after that when his company became a race sponsor. His neurologist figures that his activity along with his attitude about the disease ("it's an inconvenience") keeps him from succumbing to it. He's an inspiration to many because he keeps going and he talks about it.

Keep OT posts like this one coming, Rob, and inspire us to keep going along with you!

KennyO

Author: TMFBreakerRob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17188 of 18154
Subject: Re: OT: I Did It! Date: 9/29/2012 1:31 PM
I've been out of running for decades, and I doubt I could make much of a comeback. The last full marathon I ran was in 1972. (3:40 at age 16) A lot has happened to the old body since then, much of it as a result of the constant pavement pounding from those days.

I tried to prepare for a local marathon the last couple of years. Possibly just part of a relay, or doing half. I just can't get the mind excited about it enough to be serious. I know I'd have to lose 40 pounds, and I'd never be competitive, even in my age class.
-- HMALETTER

I'm a little bit older than you (recently turned 59 1/2) and am seriously overweight as well. I peaked at 248#, had a significant weight loss as I recovered from cancer surgery and am now down to 228. I'd like to get down to 214 by the end of the year, which would drop my BMI below 30.... and probably help with the overall running effort as well. LOL Eventually, I'd like to be around 180 or so, so there's another goal.

For me, it's the goals of longer distances, better times, better race results (I've only been in two).... and ultimately, losing that weight and getting in overall better shape. Those final goals are what keeps me motivated.... and it helps that my daughter and son-in-law are runners. Heck, he just ran a 30K this morning as a "tune-up" for an upcoming marathon. Hahaha....I'll NEVER be competitive with him (he averaged 6:10/mile). And I'm pretty sure I'll never be competitive in my age group... unless I outlive everybody, but it's about meeting my goals, not necessarily beating everybody in the race.

Of course.... I placed 9598 out of 10861 at this year's Flying Pig half marathon..... and I figure I can do a whole lot better next year, so I wouldn't be truthful if I said the competition meant nothing. ;)

Rob

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17194 of 18154
Subject: Re: OT: I Did It! Date: 9/29/2012 9:19 PM
You keep it up Rob, you done good ;)

Author: JustMee01 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17197 of 18154
Subject: Re: OT: I Did It! Date: 9/30/2012 9:05 PM
Recommendations: 2
Hey Rob,

Good for you. I used to run quite a bit when I was younger. I tapered off around ten years ago and then a flat tire (Plantar fasciitis) blew the whole regimen. The old blood pressure is up and I just can't get back into it...

Meanwhile the spare tire grows...

It's never too late to get in shape, is what I keep telling myself. My body disagrees. I need a dose of self-discipline. And fewer donuts. Keep it up.

Peter

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17199 of 18154
Subject: Re: OT: I Did It! Date: 10/1/2012 3:51 AM
Recommendations: 1
Same as Peter...damn middle-age is is/was tough on the body & ego ;-)
Keep pluggin'
Cheers,
B

Author: NozRydr Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17200 of 18154
Subject: Re: OT: I Did It! Date: 10/1/2012 9:50 AM
@Peter,

re: plantar fascia
Pete Egoscue's "Better Health through Motion" and "Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for stopping chronic pain".
Best money I ever spent on Amazon.

re: spare tire and BP
Been incredibly frustrated in this area till recently. Major breakthrough for me after watching "Fathead The Movie" and reading "Wheatbelly" and applying. My doc had been telling me all this stuff and I'd seen the benefits for my wife for 3 years. Seen her drop BP, chloresterol improve dramatically, and 40+ lbs. Late this summer I finally decided to test on myself: cut out wheat and started holding carbs down.

Wheat free now 2+ months, BP down from 180/105 to 122/86 with no meds. Approaching 30# weight loss since summer. No added exercise (purposely controlled for that wanting to see effect of just the dietary change).

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

Author: JustMee01 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17202 of 18154
Subject: Re: OT: I Did It! Date: 10/1/2012 12:50 PM
NozRydr,

I think I'll give it a try. I found some online articles that reference wheat-belly and it sounded like not all grains were "bad". Oats were referenced as one that was okay. Do you know if corn is okay in the confines of the diet?

Regarding Plantar fasciitis, that's thankfully in the past. Taking a prolonged break, keeping good shoes replaced often and using after-market arch supports did the trick. The after-market supports were the big difference. Even good running shoes have garbage arch supports in most cases. My big problem now is getting my steam back up. Just plain old lazy, now...

Thanks,

Peter

Author: NozRydr Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17203 of 18154
Subject: Re: OT: I Did It! Date: 10/1/2012 3:46 PM
Yeah, wheat's a unique (dastardly) beast. The book's worth a read.

For my part I just cut out all grains -- avoiding thos high-glycemic grains help in leveling my blood sugar and keeping my carb count down.

Meantime I'm having a ball playing with alternatives (almond flour, coconut flour and flakes, etc) and discovering some tasty low carb recipes that my kids are gnoshing on con gusto.

This gal's blog has been one of the best finds...

http://gourmetgirlcooks.blogspot.com/

Her eggplant ricotta bake, eggplant moussaka and pasta free zuchinni lasagna were immediate hits with the fam.

some interesting reading here to:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/

Author: jamesp717 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17204 of 18154
Subject: Re: OT: I Did It! Date: 10/1/2012 4:13 PM
Started doing Yoga @ the ripe old age of 55, found it to be very helpful in mind, body and body tone development. Was going to the gym 3 times a week without much change, swapped out Yoga one of those days and found I was getting much better results. I am now up to 2 days @ the gym and 2 days of Yoga.

James

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement