UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: leighsah Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 14993  
Subject: OT: Life jackets Date: 4/5/2005 5:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I work for a builder/roofer. The office is in his house.

When I got to work this afternoon, the house next door had police cars and fire trucks and EMS all over the street. I parked up the block and walked to his house.

It turns out one of the neighbor's visiting grandchildren fell in the pool. The three-year old died. I saw the firefighters treating the grandmother in the backyard. She was hysterical. The father of the kid just looked shell-shocked.

Florida leads the country in drowning deaths for kids. A heck of lot of houses have pools. Kids slip way for a few minutes. Hotel pools don't have lifeguards. Families on vacation with tired parents lose track of the kids.

When visiting Florida as a kid, my parents would dress me in whatever I was wearing for the day and then strap on the big orange life jacket. If I was at the house with a pool I wore that thing. Even to bed. There are pictures of me at the dinner table, asleep, and in the pool, always wearing the orange life jacket. I had an affinity for the water and apparently little fear. More than once I fell in the pool.

For God's sake if you have a kid and are going to be around water, put a life jacket on the kid. Make it a part of the daily attire. That family's life has just changed forever because of a few minutes of inattention.

Leighsah

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Starting a Small Business
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement