UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886558  
Subject: OT: Lunch Date: 10/3/2012 12:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
two Hebrew National hotdogs with venison chili, onions and cheddar cheese
rest of venison chili
banana
water
Print the post Back To Top
Author: FlippoHip Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867710 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/3/2012 1:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Salad of romaine, chopped celery and cucumbers with homemade sesame ginger dressing.
Veggie chicken nuggets.

1/2 cantelope (second breakfast snack)

Yes, I am dieting.

Author: joikim Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867711 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/3/2012 2:09 PM
Homemade pasta salad (organic Whole wheat rotini, corn, artichoke hearts, black olives, sweet onion, organic apple, organic broccoli,, sun dried tomatoes, and 1/2 cut up local organic chicken sausage link).

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867712 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/3/2012 2:37 PM
Recommendations: 2
Veggie chicken nuggets

I've always found some of the "veggie" terminology funny - since if non-meat tastes so good, why isn't it referred by what it is instead of by the animal it isn't.

Author: Jacketfan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867715 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/3/2012 3:05 PM
Ran home to start the Buffalo Chicken in the crock pot, and forgot to eat lunch. Now I'm pretty hungry...

v/r
Tom

Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867716 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/3/2012 3:56 PM
Barley salad with sauteed onions, zucchini, kale, mushrooms, and roasted bell peppers in a roasted garlic vinaigrette.

DEG

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867717 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/3/2012 4:10 PM
Barley salad with sauteed onions, zucchini, kale, mushrooms, and roasted bell peppers in a roasted garlic vinaigrette.

Do you have the recipe for that? If so, could I have it, please?

Thank you,

Nancy

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867718 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/3/2012 4:11 PM
Sushi. My cafeteria serves it on Wednesdays and it's my once-a-week buy at the cafeteria day.

GSF

Author: wolferd1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867719 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/3/2012 4:12 PM
Recommendations: 1
salad
Prison chili
crackers
water

(for real)

wolferd

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867721 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/3/2012 4:22 PM
My lunch was a bunch of free samples at Costco ;-)

Desert (Mmmmmmmm mmmmm good) Dave

Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867723 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/3/2012 4:30 PM
Do you have the recipe for that? If so, could I have it, please?

Sure. I cooked a cup of barley in two cups of veggie broth on the stove. At the same time, I put a small head of garlic in some foil with a little olive oil and roasted for about 45 minutes. When it was about done, I sauteed half a large onion, minced in some olive oil. Then I added some quartered button mushrooms and a handful or two of finely chopped kale (minus the stems). Once those were mostly cooked, I added two zucchini, chopped and cooked until everything was done. I drained and rinsed a jar of roasted red peppers and then minced them. Mix the barley and all the veggies in a large bowl. In another bowl, mash up the roasted garlic pulp with some salt. Whisk in about 3 T of white wine vinegar and then about 3 T olive oil. (I like my vinaigrette really vinegary. The more traditional ratio of 1 part vinegar to 4 parts oil is too oily for me, but use whatever ratio makes you happy.) Pour the dressing over the salad and let sit in the fridge a while.

I had it for dinner last night, and it was even better for lunch today. This made 4 nice servings.

DEG

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867726 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/3/2012 5:18 PM
Thank you!

Nancy

Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867735 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/3/2012 6:30 PM
Recommendations: 5
I've always found some of the "veggie" terminology funny - since if non-meat tastes so good, why isn't it referred by what it is instead of by the animal it isn't.

I'm going to take this as an honest question and not a snarky jab. It's because any given product line is basically made out of the same stuff, and just seasoned differently to mimic whatever taste is wanted. Some are soy, some are wheat gluten, some are a protein derived from a relative of the mushroom. Naming them after what they are made out of is not a useful descriptor of what they taste like nor what function they serve. So instead, companies have opted to name their products after the food they are meant to replace in a vegetarian diet. It's a more useful descriptor for Quorn brand, for example, to call one product chik'n nuggets and another grounds rather than to call it all mycoprotein.

As for whether or not they taste good, that's just a matter of personal preference. If you don't like them, great, don't eat them. If you've never tried them, then there is no reason to disparage them based on a naming convention you don't like. If you do like them, then eat them and try to ignore the silly names.

DEG

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867743 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/4/2012 12:29 AM
Recommendations: 2
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Venison chili. My former dentist gave me 7 lbs. of frozen ground venison, and I have had a great time making chili. It also makes wonderful speghetti sauce.

Donna

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867746 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/4/2012 7:45 AM
Recommendations: 3
there is a board for this you know...

peace & Lunch threads
t

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867762 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/4/2012 11:09 AM
PSU that sounds fantastic.

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867764 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/4/2012 11:16 AM
If you've never tried them, then there is no reason to disparage them...."

Riiiiiiight. We're free to disparage anything we want for whatever reason we think up. Doesn't matter if it makes any logical sense. Otherwise we would be left without a lot of national pastimes, like political bashing, sports team bashing, religious bashing, etc.

xtn

Author: FlippoHip Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867767 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/4/2012 11:46 AM
since if non-meat tastes so good, why isn't it referred by what it is instead of by the animal it isn't.

They are technically veggie "breaded buffalo seasoned nuggets". I put the word "chicken" in because it was shorter.

They are mighty tasty no matter what they are called.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867771 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/4/2012 1:24 PM
Naming them after what they are made out of is not a useful descriptor of what they taste like nor what function they serve.

But in a meat-free world, how would you know what a chicken nugget tastes like if you've never eaten animals?

My question is more - why aren't new terms being coined?

Author: 1DEG Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867778 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/4/2012 5:08 PM
But in a meat-free world, how would you know what a chicken nugget tastes like if you've never eaten animals?

I think you're missing the main target audience of those products. Most vegetarians in America were not born vegetarian. Those products are aimed at people who are new to being vegetarian and are trying to figure out how and what to eat now, or at people who gave up meat for ethical reasons but miss the taste, or for people in "mixed" relationships where it's a compromise position between the vegetarian and omnivore. The products are meant to act as a bridge, and I think naming them with the animal product they are meant to replace makes sense in that context.

To your point, I have a recipe for a salad that uses sunflower seeds and was originally called "mock tuna salad" or something like that. My kids have never eaten tuna, so when I make it for them, I just call it sunflower seed salad since "mock tuna" means nothing to them. If you get enough people like my kiddos who have never had meat, the marketing departments of the companies that make these foods will surely come up with other names for their products.

DEG

Author: FoolishWaldo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867794 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/5/2012 10:25 AM

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Or something like that.

Author: UKBB Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868062 of 886558
Subject: Re: OT: Lunch Date: 10/12/2012 12:29 PM
This is the worst.board.ever

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement