UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308566  
Subject: OT: Moving... Date: 8/15/2012 1:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Fools,

How many of the CC/CD board regulars live in the Pacific Northwest? Well, hello!

It seems I (and aj485) will be relocating in the very near future. I accepted an offer from a major company in Washington Monday and should be working there by the end of September.

I'm still waiting for sticker shock to set in on the home prices. I haven't had a mortgage to pay in a few years (I live with aj485, who owns the house); but I'll be buying (or renting) this time around.

Prices are way more expensive up there than down here. Thankfully they're not California crazy; but I still find $300K for a nice condo (or a small house with a commute) to be a nuts. And my friends and the people I interviewed with keep telling me that prices have fallen a lot!

Right now I'm spending maybe $500-600/month on utilities and the occasional maintenance costs. (Less than aj485's mortgage payment; but she gets to keep all of the principal paid on the house.) Probably by November, I'll be spending like $2K/month. Or more. On housing. Ouch.

At least the company is paying for the move.

If any of you live up near the Seattle area, give us a shout!

- Joel
Print the post Back To Top
Author: bill343 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305735 of 308566
Subject: Re: OT: Moving... Date: 8/15/2012 8:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Joel,

I live in the other corner. However, Sounds like a good deal for you,

Good Job, Good Location, Good Bread, and AJ.

4 out of 5 ain't bad.

bill

Author: PipneyJane Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305736 of 308566
Subject: Re: OT: Moving... Date: 8/16/2012 7:26 AM
What Bill said.

Snippee is the one current Fool I know who lives in the Pacific North West. Might be worth you dropping her a line?

- Pam (hasn't got to that coast yet)

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305737 of 308566
Subject: Re: OT: Moving... Date: 8/16/2012 9:36 AM
There are some people listed on the Folly in Washington board, and there's SeattlePioneer.

http://boards.fool.com/folly-in-washington-110043.aspx

Nancy

Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305738 of 308566
Subject: Re: OT: Moving... Date: 8/16/2012 11:53 AM
Recommendations: 1
We'll miss you in Texas, Joel. Good luck to you and AJ as you make your move!

LWW

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305739 of 308566
Subject: Re: OT: Moving... Date: 8/16/2012 11:57 AM
And SeattlePioneer of course.

Ishtar
(lived in Kitsap county, but that was in 95-96)

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305747 of 308566
Subject: Re: OT: Moving... Date: 8/17/2012 9:24 AM
Not me, but I'm in San Fran, so if you & AJ ever get down here, drop me a line!

Good luck with the move...

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305751 of 308566
Subject: Re: OT: Moving... Date: 8/17/2012 12:30 PM
Recommendations: 3
I see that SP has already been mentioned, but he has rental property and could likely be a really good source of info for that reason alone...

peace & cloudy skies
t

Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305752 of 308566
Subject: Re: OT: Moving... Date: 8/20/2012 11:19 AM
Gingko100,

You wrote, Not me, but I'm in San Fran, so if you & AJ ever get down here, drop me a line!

:-)

aj485 and I have been to San Francisco on several occasions for work. (I've also had to fly into the San Jose area to work with customers and for training.) I'm not at all sure my new job or her current job would have us travel there though; but we'll keep you in mind.

And who knows? We might actually come down to San Francisco for a long weekend at some point.

- Joel

Author: ishtarastarte Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305753 of 308566
Subject: Re: OT: Moving... Date: 8/20/2012 1:28 PM
Recommendations: 2
Sync just came out to SF for a week and stayed two extra days.

Just sayin'

Ishtar

Author: DrBooa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305762 of 308566
Subject: Re: OT: Moving... Date: 8/20/2012 8:49 PM
Wow, congratulations on the new job, Joel! I'm glad to hear the lovely AJ will be joining you. :-)

I hope it all goes well for you in Seattle, and I hope the sticker shock isn't too bad. Well, I know it's going to be bad, but I hope eventually it will fade to something tolerable. When renting costs $2k, you see why people will pay stupid amounts of money to buy a house where their payment will be $3k. :-)

Love and hugs to you both!

--Booa

Author: synchronicityII Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305770 of 308566
Subject: Re: OT: Moving... Date: 8/21/2012 5:42 PM
I'm still waiting for sticker shock to set in on the home prices. I haven't had a mortgage to pay in a few years (I live with aj485, who owns the house); but I'll be buying (or renting) this time around.

Yeah, prices are higher there than in Texas, but you get what you pay for.

As long as you considered the higher COL in accepting the offer, you should be fine.

-synchronicity, was doing the math in my head within 8 minutes of landing in the Bay Area last week

Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305771 of 308566
Subject: Re: OT: Moving... Date: 8/21/2012 7:15 PM
Recommendations: 3
synchronicityII,

You wrote, As long as you considered the higher COL in accepting the offer, you should be fine.

I think I'll be fine.

The offer is good. Adjusted for COL, the base pay for the offer is about the same as I make now. However:

1. I think the work will be more interesting;
2. I'll be full-time again with associated benefits;
3. They're paying for most of our relocation costs; and
4. We'll be close to where we eventually want to retire.

The benefits are a huge plus. (I've been a "W-2" contractor for the past 4 years with few benefits.) The new job includes (mostly) employer-paid insurance, a proper 401(k) plan with matching and a Roth option, an ESPP and possible annual bonuses and stock awards. The benefits alone (without any potential bonus or stock) amounts to about an 8-9% pay raise.

All in all I think it will be a good move, even considering the high cost of housing there.

So far the only down-side I see financially is that the move itself will impact my taxes substantially. I also had a big capital gain this year, which means I expect to get really reamed by the IRS come April. Of course some of that was going to happen even if I move, so I suppose I shouldn't complain...

Of course I'm also leaving family here too. My parents, my 2 brothers and my son (27) are all within about a 90 minute drive from our current abode. My daughter (25) and granddaughter (5) live in Oklahoma about 4-5 hours away. Moving to the Seattle area makes anything like a casual visit completely impractical.

On the flip side, I have a sister and her family about 5 hours away in Spokane. And ... aj485 is moving her mom out there too.

- Joel

Author: cbrown24 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305775 of 308566
Subject: Re: OT: Moving... Date: 8/22/2012 12:52 AM
If you are working in Seattle, that doesn't mean you have to live there. My BIL takes the high speed rail in from Kent every day, drops him right in downtown Seattle.

Something to think about.

Good luck!

C. Brown
PS Have lived across the country from my 4 year old granddaughter until this June and now she is in the same state, but still over 12 hours away by car.....at least I don't have to get in a plane!

Author: Yesbabe Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305776 of 308566
Subject: Re: OT: Moving... Date: 8/22/2012 1:15 PM
I'm in Seattle (moved here 8 years ago from New York City). I highly recommend renting before buying. The neighborhoods in and around Seattle vary greatly, as does the traffic of commuting, and where you start out thinking you love may not be your favorite place after a while, especially when you factor in getting from point A to point B for the commute. The place I originally moved to (northern Seattle suburbs) ended up lasting a year, and now I'm living in West Seattle and love it. We still rent though, as mortgage on a house half the size of where I rent now would cost twice as much. Westseattleblog.com is a great news site on West Seattle in particular, and the forum participants can be quite helpful in terms of relocating advice.

Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305794 of 308566
Subject: Re: OT: Moving... Date: 8/23/2012 10:46 AM
cbrown24,

You wrote, If you are working in Seattle, that doesn't mean you have to live there. My BIL takes the high speed rail in from Kent every day, drops him right in downtown Seattle.

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I didn't say I was working in Seattle. I'll just be working in the area. In fact my new office will be in the burbs east of Seattle.

- Joel

Author: DrBooa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305814 of 308566
Subject: Re: OT: Moving... Date: 8/24/2012 5:19 PM
Having benefits is a *huge* plus. Half the payroll tax, for starters...and paid vacation! Woot! :-)

Glad for the three of you--you, AJ, and AJ's mom. :-)

--Booa

Author: yeilBagheera Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 305816 of 308566
Subject: Re: OT: Moving... Date: 8/25/2012 2:24 PM
Live a bit (well, quite a bit) further North, do pass through every few months.

YeilB who happily met a FOOL for hot chocolate in Anchorage last week

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement