Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 445605  
Subject: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/14/2012 8:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 16
Papa John's Obamacare Costs Are Far Less Than Price Of Free Pizza Giveaway

News flash to Papa John’s CEO John Schnatter: Obamacare isn’t the only thing costing your business money.

The pizza chain head has made his views on the Affordable Care Act clear in recent months, claiming the new health care law will cost his business about $5 to $8 million per year. To compensate Schnatter's said he will likely raise pizza prices and cut back some workers’ hours so he doesn’t have to insure them.

Caleb Melby of Forbes has graciously done the math on Obamacare’s cost to Papa John’s and according to his analysis, to cover the cost of Obamacare, the pizza chain would have to raise prices by 3.4 to 4.6 cents per pie -- way less than the 11 to 14 cents Schnatter claims he needs.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/13/papa-johns-obamacar...

I have a Papa John's pizza about once a year, mostly because I'm somewhere and heed to eat and they're close. I am distressed to think that I will need to pay an extra 4¢ a year, so I think I will not eat any more Papa John's pizzas for a while. A long while.

And there are other changes the chain could make to save some money, Melby notes, like not giving away 2 million pizzas for free at a cost of between $24 and $32 million to the company, for example.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413035 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/14/2012 9:52 PM
Recommendations: 2
well poot

yet another business I'd like to boycott but can't
because I think their product is Crap

2d worst pizza .ever.

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413040 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/14/2012 10:25 PM
Recommendations: 0
We covered this a while back. Turns out I may be only person on the board that was still eating from there. Also, while the owner is getting most of flack, his franchises have also been interviewed.

It is a common theme here that they plan to cut back on hours to avoid health insurance. The franchises are repeating his stupid crap.

Wish there were local pizza places anymore.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413046 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/14/2012 10:54 PM
Recommendations: 5
I like their pizza and eat it several times a year. It's not hard to google up a coupon code to knock 25% off your order. But even if I have to pay 15 cents more for a pie, that's OK if it means some people get health insurance.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413048 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/15/2012 12:26 AM

Wish there were local pizza places anymore.m

that's sad...
I have trouble deciding which local from Which to order

OTOH, no GS cookies

Author: 10talents Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413056 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/15/2012 10:17 AM
I also eat their Pizza a lot. I think it tastes good. We have 1 mom and pop shop pizza place where I live, and the pizza is really bad. That leaves papa johns, pizza hut and dominoes. Papa Johns is the clear winner.

I would also gladly pay 15 cents more per pizza so that people who make minimum wage or close to it can have health insurance.

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413058 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/15/2012 10:38 AM
Recommendations: 4
I would also gladly pay 15 cents more per pizza so that people who make minimum wage or close to it can have health insurance.

Yes, but you seem to believe that paying 15 cents more per pizza will get them the health insurance.

What will happen is that they WILL raise the pizza prices (probably by $.25, because it's a nice round number) and then they will STILL cut the worker's benefits and hours and pocket the difference.

They'll get to grouse and complain and whine and play up what a hardship it is, and how they have to raise those prices... and people who think "Oh, I'll pay it on behalf of those people..." but they still will move people back to part time.

After all, they are "job creators" and it's so hard to run a business in this economic climate.

Poor, poor Papa John's.

GSF
... Has AWESOME local pizza, thankyouverymuch.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413059 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/15/2012 10:42 AM
2d worst pizza .ever.

What is 1st?

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413069 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/15/2012 12:02 PM
Recommendations: 1
What will happen is that they WILL raise the pizza prices (probably by $.25, because it's a nice round number) and then they will STILL cut the worker's benefits and hours and pocket the difference.

Exactly...it's so fake fake fake and should be obvious, but of course people are as gullible as ever.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413070 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/15/2012 12:13 PM
Change the rule so they MUST provide the insurance to any employee working more than 8 hours per week. Something like that. If Papa John's tries to cut hours that drastically, everyone will quit and he'll go out of business.

Author: Ziege19 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413072 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/15/2012 12:21 PM
2d worst pizza .ever.

What is 1st?

Dominos gets my vote for worst pizza ever.

Speaking of Papa John's and Dominos, I'm wondering if you have to be a right-wing jerk to get through pizza magnate school, or if it just helps. What's up with that?

Author: LOTROQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413073 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/15/2012 12:29 PM
2d worst pizza .ever.

What is 1st?

Dominos gets my vote for worst pizza ever.

This would be my choice:
http://www.redrossa.com/bloomington-mn-italian-grille.php

Stayed at the adjacent hotel. I expected mediocre pizza but it was HORRIBLE. It was very salty and on the feedback survey for the hotel I let them know how much it sucked.

Should have ordered Dominos instead...

Author: NailThatJello Big gold star, 5000 posts Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413074 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/15/2012 12:30 PM
Recommendations: 5
I'm wondering if you have to be a right-wing jerk to get through pizza magnate school, or if it just helps. What's up with that?

I beg your pardon. You can't base a sweeping conclusion on a sample size of one. Pizza Magnate schools equip young leaders with a broad range of fine skills. They turn out not only jerks, but also bozos. Evidence: Herman Cain.

I rest my case.

Author: Ziege19 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413075 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/15/2012 12:32 PM
Recommendations: 20
Change the rule so they MUST provide the insurance to any employee working more than 8 hours per week. Something like that. If Papa John's tries to cut hours that drastically, everyone will quit and he'll go out of business.

Corporate America could have been free from worrying about health insurance if we had gotten a single payer system and de-linked health coverage from employment just like we wanted.

They didn't want that, and they prevented it from happening. They're getting exactly what they deserve, and now they're just singing the same tired old song about how if they are forced to pay a share it will "hurt everyone".

Author: Ziege19 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413076 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/15/2012 12:34 PM
I beg your pardon. You can't base a sweeping conclusion on a sample size of one. Pizza Magnate schools equip young leaders with a broad range of fine skills. They turn out not only jerks, but also bozos. Evidence: Herman Cain.

I rest my case.

I seriously LOL'd. My business partner asked what was so funny. I told him nothing, but we should get pizza for lunch. Cottage Inn it is.

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413077 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/15/2012 1:27 PM
This would be my choice:

Stayed at the adjacent hotel. I expected mediocre pizza but it was HORRIBLE. It was very salty and on the feedback survey for the hotel I let them know how much it sucked.

Should have ordered Dominos instead...

Too bad My Pie isn't there anymore...to this day the best pizza I've ever had.

6, RIP

Author: rmhj Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413078 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/15/2012 4:04 PM
I'm wondering if you have to be a right-wing jerk to get through pizza magnate school, or if it just helps. What's up with that?

NTJ: I beg your pardon. You can't base a sweeping conclusion on a sample size of one. Pizza Magnate schools equip young leaders with a broad range of fine skills. They turn out not only jerks, but also bozos. Evidence: Herman Cain.

I rest my case.

Don't forget Domino's founder Tom Monaghan, reputed Opus Dei member, major contributor to Operation Rescue, supporter of the Ave Maria Foundation, and all around "pro-life"/conservative causes. (Domino's is now owned by Bain Capital, another good reason to boycott it.)

rj

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413079 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/15/2012 4:06 PM
They'll get to grouse and complain and whine and play up what a hardship it is, and how they have to raise those prices... and people who think "Oh, I'll pay it on behalf of those people..." but they still will move people back to part time.

After all, they are "job creators" and it's so hard to run a business in this economic climate.

Poor, poor Papa John's.

ex-zackly.

GSF
... Has AWESOME local pizza, thankyouverymuch.

Jersey Pizza famous as NewYork??

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413081 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/15/2012 4:09 PM
2d worst pizza .ever.

What is 1st?

when i wrote that i was thinking of a little place i stumbled on in Knoxville.

but i've re-thought -- that was bad enough, no fair even calling it 'pizza'.

so i'm voting 'worst' is a "traditional" at a place that my cousin found ..

otoh .... reading this thread, i'm beginning to think that "good pizza" might be a subjective thing. (However important i think it is.....)

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413083 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/15/2012 4:16 PM
This would be my choice:

ha!

sounds like the 'traditional' i mentioned above ..

really awful if you think of pizza as the Americanized stuff
(>:

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413084 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/15/2012 4:34 PM
Best pizza I ever had was in Firenze (Florence). As best I can recall, it was across the bridge (Ponte alli Grazie) from our apartment (Via Torta, as I recall). Tiny place. There was one woman there who was the waitress, the cashier, and probably the cook too. I suspect also the owner. She spoke enough English to take our order. There were maybe four tables in the place. Pizza was thin crust, edge was a bit scorched and crispy. Ohhhh was that pizza good. I have no idea what she did, but it was awesome.

I've never had a chain pizza that even came close. Did find a place in Orlando once...don't remember the name of it now. It was really good, and clearly not a chain.

1poorguy

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413085 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/15/2012 5:36 PM
1pg, go to Classic Italian Pizza in Tempe, or Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413087 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/15/2012 5:59 PM
Yes, Classic Italian Pizza is on my list of places to go. Wish they were open for lunch, that would be easiest for me.

From what I've heard Bianco has hours-long wait lines. On top of having to drive into downtown. Probably not going to happen anytime soon. But I have heard good things about the pizza.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413097 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/15/2012 7:21 PM
From what I've heard Bianco has hours-long wait lines.

I hear they are now open for lunch, and if you arrive at 11:30 it's no problem.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413121 of 445605
Subject: Re: OT: Papa John's Pizzas Date: 11/16/2012 11:28 AM
San Francisco covers basic health care for people living in the city. Restaurants and hotels all add on a fee to cover this expense and it hasn't stopped anyone from eating or staying in the city. It's had no effect.

I think insurance should be completely decoupled from employment though. It's a crazy Rube Goldberg system we have. At least if people had to buy it themselves (like I do) they'd see the actual costs instead of complaining their employer subsidy is less than previously. Single payer or open market - either is fine with me. But what we have is a terrible structure and makes no sense. In 20 years employers won't be covering anything any more as it's too much of a burden, and really - why should they? It's ridiculous they should have to do so.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement