Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
 
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: n8larson Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 444945  
Subject: OT: Public sides with Obama on fiscal talks Date: 12/12/2012 2:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 13
http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/2012/12/12/poll-pu...

Just 25 percent of all voters and a surprisingly small 38 percent of Republicans approve of House Speaker John Boehner’s performance in the talks to resolve the budget stalemate that is gripping Washington, according to today’s ABC News/Washington Post poll.

But it's not so much a question of who's right--the poll data seem to indicate that Obama represents the goals and ... um... "willingnesses" of the political left better than Boehner represents those of the political right. My guess is that Obama's doing the right amount of compromising (and on the right things) for his constituency's liking, whereas Boehner's probably perceived by his constituency as giving away too much (which is to say, 'giving anything at all').

I'm solidly in the 'go over the cliff, fix what's REALLY important afterward' camp. If we're really spending $3.80 and collecting $2.30, the reality is we've been living high on the hog when we shouldn't have. It's not a matter of the government taking benefits away that they shouldn't take away (whether 'benefits' means 'spending' or 'not taxing'), it's a matter of the people giving back a good portion of the benefits we never should have been given in the first place.

I'll be the first to admit I've been given benefits the government shouldn't have given me (giant child tax credit? Bazinga!), so I'm prepared to be doing some substantial giving back as part of the solution. I just don't want to be giving back so that people even MORE able to return those gifts get to keep them. Yes, "Richard", I'm looking at you.

-n8
Oh, and Mitch McConnell makes me sick.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414606 of 444945
Subject: Re: OT: Public sides with Obama on fiscal talks Date: 12/12/2012 2:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Mitch McConnell could make a billy-goat puke.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414607 of 444945
Subject: Re: OT: Public sides with Obama on fiscal talks Date: 12/12/2012 2:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Republicans are in the position of protecting the interests of 2% of the population while attacking the interests of the other 98% by insisting on entitlement destruction.

During the Civil War Grant famously said "I intend to fight on this line if it takes all summer".

Every Democratic politician hopes Boehner does a Grant. Particularly if he fails to increase the debt limit. There go the Social Security checks. Then we'll see who gets blamed.

Print the post Back To Top
Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414614 of 444945
Subject: Re: OT: Public sides with Obama on fiscal talks Date: 12/12/2012 4:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Mitch McConnell could make a billy-goat puke.



NTTAWWT!!!!!!!

Print the post Back To Top
Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414618 of 444945
Subject: Re: OT: Public sides with Obama on fiscal talks Date: 12/12/2012 4:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Mitch McConnell could make a billy-goat puke.
========================
NTTAWWT!!!!!!!


Are you saying billy goats like to puke?

Print the post Back To Top
Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414620 of 444945
Subject: Re: OT: Public sides with Obama on fiscal talks Date: 12/12/2012 4:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
NTTAW!!!!!!!

Are you saying billy goats like to puke?



no

nothing wrong with being the sort who'd gag a Goat
just sayin

Print the post Back To Top
Author: MDGluon Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 414664 of 444945
Subject: Re: OT: Public sides with Obama on fiscal talks Date: 12/13/2012 11:03 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 11
Republicans are in the position of protecting the interests of 2% of the population while attacking the interests of the other 98% by insisting on entitlement destruction.

I find it interesting that the Republican Party through 30+ years of clever word smithing, unethical PR, and flat out lies has been able to turn T the word entitlement into a dirty word.

After all an entitlement is something we are owed and that we have paid into...I have paid 10.4% into it all my life...and yes it is that rate since your employer really does not pay the 6.2%; he just takes it out of your pay and counts it as part of your "benefits"..

I am entitled to that money which has come out of all my paychecks through my working life; unlike the wealthy who once they hit the magic $110,100 (what three days pay?) number they pay 0, yes ZERO. Pikers.

Same for Medicare.

And the programs are not going "broke", or going to go "bankrupt"; both are terms that in reality are not applicable since some amount of revenue will always be coming in and with actually very minor tweaks (not age though folks) are quite healthy.

After all how many programs or businesses can say they have reserves to fully fund their "business" and obligations for 25+ years...heck what companies today can state with honesty that they have the reserves to even pay the pensions of the employees? Hostess?

No, entitlements are something we have bought with our work and citizenship and paid for out of our earlier earnings as members of our society....not some word for lazy "brown" people and slackers who are a "drag" on our society and civilization.

The true slackers are the wealthy who refuse to pay taxes, buy politicians to protect their stolen wealth, and for some strange Orwellian double think seem to wish to divorce themselves from our communities and nation and feel "Entitiled" to special treatment legally, socially, and ethically.

Amazing the power of money to twist meanings; the reason that plutocratic great wealth is the true greatest enemy of Democracy.

I highly recommend reading Kevin Phillips book "Wealth and Democracy" to gain insight into this.

md (Words mean exactly what I want them to mean)

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement