Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: reader99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19380  
Subject: OT: "Elephant folks"? Date: 12/12/2005 1:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
DH has Gene Autry's "Christmas Cowboy" CD. In the Sant Claus is Coming to Town song, he talks about some of the toys Santa is bringing, "Curly head dolls that toddle and coo, elephant folks and kiddie cars too"

Are elephant folks a particular kind of toy there used to be, or just a way of saying elephant shaped figurines?

DH at age 60 claims not to know, so maybe these are toys from the 40s or before? Anybody remember such a toy?

TIA

Reader99
Obviously has too little to do...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: zipper103 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10233 of 19380
Subject: Re: OT: "Elephant folks"? Date: 12/12/2005 2:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Are elephant folks a particular kind of toy there used to be, or just a way of saying elephant shaped figurines?

DH at age 60 claims not to know, so maybe these are toys from the 40s or before? Anybody remember such a toy?

I'm not expert, but I am a small town southerner, so I'll tell you the stories I've heard on the streets...

Elephant folks are people who have been (or live in) a big city. You see, in a small town you don't see any animals bigger than a cow (Longhorn). Small towns can't afford zoos and the circus only comes to "Big Cities". It's been said that the old folks use to brag about "seeing an elephant", so they got to be known as "elephant folks".

zip

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10234 of 19380
Subject: Re: OT: "Elephant folks"? Date: 12/12/2005 2:44 PM
Recommendations: 2
http://www.funology.com/boredombusters/bb233.htm

elephants, boat, and kiddy cars too

Author: reader99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10235 of 19380
Subject: Re: OT: "Elephant folks"? Date: 12/12/2005 4:15 PM
Aha! That makes more sense. In fact, I thought he was saying "elephant boats" until I googled for lyrics and came up with "elephant folks".

Thanks!

Author: reader99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10237 of 19380
Subject: Re: OT: "Elephant folks"? Date: 12/13/2005 1:23 PM
I listened very closely - he is definitely saying "elephant boats". I'm going to assume he means "elephants, boats"

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10243 of 19380
Subject: Re: OT: "Elephant folks"? Date: 12/13/2005 7:36 PM
Recommendations: 1
I listened very closely - he is definitely saying "elephant boats". I'm going to assume he means "elephants, boats"

I think that's probably a valid assumption -- enunciation perhaps isn't Autry's strongest suit.

But I want you to know that yesterday I could not get that song out of my head. I hummed it repeatedly and everywhere and drove myself and everyone around me nuts. Today it's been a little better and I've been able to stop when I realize I'm doing it. I wish that would just once happen with a Verdi aria. ;-)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement