UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: heatherlynn Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308881  
Subject: OT Rant: Electric companies Date: 6/30/2002 10:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
My electric company down in Indiana sent a letter of disconnect. Roomie opened it up (as he should), and told me that it's going to be disconnected. "You need to call them".

So I did. I call the corporate office. yeah (NOT).

"We're sorry, but you have to pay it by 8 am tomorrow morning to avoid disconnection".

great...so I tell roomie.

He asks me to call them again before he goes and pays, and also "why did they say 8 am tomorrow when my letter says 7-5-2002?" So I call and ask.

"Oh, the local office didn't update your account. We have no way of knowing what the local office is sending out if they don't update the accounts"

bastards.

Now roomie is upset with me because he KNEW we had time, yet he didn't inform me of the date on the letter.

idiot. now he's pi**ed at me for something I didn't do! typical male. (I have known too many men like that....and I didn't think he was one of them that blames everyone but themselves).

Heather
Print the post Back To Top
Author: wildgirl Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 132313 of 308881
Subject: Re: OT Rant: Electric companies Date: 6/30/2002 11:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
IF THIS BILL WAS HIS THEN YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS TRYING TO BE A BENEFACTOR. IF YOU DON'T HAVE A DOLLAR IN IT STAY OUT OF THE WHOLE SITUATION AND DON'T ENABLE!

wild :)
who does so like that HTML

Author: heatherlynn Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 132314 of 308881
Subject: Re: OT Rant: Electric companies Date: 6/30/2002 11:11 PM
Recommendations: 0
it's MY electric bill..it's got my name on it.

and now he's screamed at me and called me names, and I refuse to deal with this attitude....

I love him to death, but I can't stand the attitude anymore. He's all about himself, and really doesn't give a shit who he takes down with him.

ugh. If I see a lawsuit from him...he's a goner.

Heather

Author: sockwonder Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 132335 of 308881
Subject: Re: OT Rant: Electric companies Date: 7/1/2002 8:01 AM
Recommendations: 4
If I see a lawsuit from him...he's a goner.

There's no case. Although the bill is in your name, and therefore affects your credit, everything that goes on in an apartment (assuming here, since you said roomie) is governed by a term called joint and several liability. In other words, if he didn't want the power turned off, he should get off his a$$ and pay it himself. Each tenant is considered jointly and separately liable. If you're both around, you're both fully liable. Percentages or fractions of payments must be decided between the two of you. However, if one person disappears, and can't be found, the other is fully liable. If you want a quick horror story with accompanying pictures, check out my website at www.geocities.com/sockwonder/eviction_101.html

- Ken
an atypical male

Author: heatherlynn Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 132336 of 308881
Subject: Re: OT Rant: Electric companies Date: 7/1/2002 8:07 AM
The bill is in my name, and he went and paid it. And it's a house. I bought the house in my name 2 years ago and invited him to move in (as we WERE dating, which s really questionable right now).

And I've read that story, Ken. Talk about a horror!!!

Heather

Author: wildgirl Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 132340 of 308881
Subject: Re: OT Rant: Electric companies Date: 7/1/2002 8:46 AM
What! I shouted for no reason! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR..

Now you have supported him for a least one month so he should pay the bill. Is the bill the house you are in this minute or the old place ? Are you keeping UP with the bills without his "help?"or did he promise to pay it and just drug his @ss? I have got much grayer waiting for men to pay bills. NO more.

DO NOT PUT HIS NAME ON THE HOUSE PAPERWORK!

wild :)

Author: sockwonder Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 132342 of 308881
Subject: Re: OT Rant: Electric companies Date: 7/1/2002 9:13 AM
The bill is in my name, and he went and paid it. And it's a house. I bought the house in my name 2 years ago and invited him to move in (as we WERE dating, which s really questionable right now).
And I've read that story, Ken. Talk about a horror!!!

Yeah, it wasn't cute. Sorry for the apartment rant. I saw "roomie" and started having flashbacks.

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 132362 of 308881
Subject: Re: OT Rant: Electric companies Date: 7/1/2002 12:50 PM
How far behind on your bill are you?

Author: heatherlynn Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 132364 of 308881
Subject: Re: OT Rant: Electric companies Date: 7/1/2002 1:03 PM
we're fine now. He went and paid it last night.

Heather

Author: allienic98 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 132365 of 308881
Subject: Re: OT Rant: Electric companies Date: 7/1/2002 1:15 PM
Recommendations: 22
Heather,

I am not sure I am getting this right.

Let's see:

1. This is the house that he lives in that you are jointly paying the mortgage on (while you are also paying on an apartment because of your job being so far away).

2. You do not live there...therefore, you are not using any of the electricity, water, etc.

3. He is the one getting the electric bills in the mail, he hasn't paid them since you moved, and you are to blame because he is about to be disconnected?

4. I seem to remember a posting from you not that long ago about him not being able to pay his half the mortgage, so you paid it too. (I think)

5. I looked at some of your postings on other TMF boards.

If all this is true, I have but one thing to say:

Get rid of this guy.

Darlin, you don't need this...you don't deserve this...you have way too many other things going on in your life to have this added on.

Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 132381 of 308881
Subject: Re: OT Rant: Electric companies Date: 7/1/2002 4:29 PM
Sockwonder,

In response to Heatherlynn writing, If I see a lawsuit from him...he's a goner.

You wrote, There's no case. Although the bill is in your name, and therefore affects your credit, everything that goes on in an apartment (assuming here, since you said roomie) is governed by a term called joint and several liability. In other words, if he didn't want the power turned off, he should get off his a$$ and pay it himself. Each tenant is considered jointly and separately liable. If you're both around, you're both fully liable. Percentages or fractions of payments must be decided between the two of you. However, if one person disappears, and can't be found, the other is fully liable. If you want a quick horror story with accompanying pictures, check out my website at www.geocities.com/sockwonder/eviction_101.html

Unless Heatherlynn has a rental agreement that includes utilities with her roommate, you're right. There's no basis for a case here. The judge would toss it out if he were crazy enough to file it.

As for the who can be held liable for the electric bill, that probably varies from state to state. But in most states, only the person who's name is on the account can be pursued -- in this case Heatherlynn -- by the electric company. If Heatherlynn has a promise or agreement with her roommate, she can turn around and sue him for his portion; but that doesn't change her obligation to the utility company.

Whether you can be held jointly and severally liable for an obligation depends on 1) whether or not both parties have given consent to the obligation; and 2) whether and how joint and several liability is allowed/interpreted in your state. Most states interpret joint and several liability to mean that you both agree to be bound by the contract to its full extent. That means that your creditor can pursue either or both of you for the full amount owed; but in no case can they collect more than the total amount owed (plus any reasonable legal fees).

It sounds like Heatherlynn's roommate has not given such consent. So at most he would be inconvinenced by a loss of power until it can be reconnected -- something a judge would scoff at once he finds out the roommate isn't responsible for the bill. The fact that the roommate pays that obligation for Heatherlynn is nice; but Heatherlynn should encourage him to have the utilities put in his own name, if he's agreed to pay them. This way, if he fails to make the payment, they will pursue him instead of her and he won't have anyone else to blame but himself.

I would also encourage Heatherlynn to have the roommate sign a lease agreement. Such an agreement will spell out both parties obligations. She should also collect rent from the roommate directly to ensure that he doesn't make a late payment to the mortgage company. Of course, if she reports it, this will complicate her income taxes; but technically, she may be collecting income from him (in the form of payments to principal) that she's not currently reporting; or she may be taking a loss (due to depreciation, taxes, insurance, repairs, etc.) that she could be deducting.

Keeping track of dual-use property for income tax purposes can be a big hassle; but she should at least analyze it to see if she can take a tax write-off. But more importantly, she should get any agreement with a tenant in writing even if she doesn't report it to the IRS.

BTW: As a former landlord, I suspect Heatherlynn would actually be able to take a loss on her Schedule E, if she reported the income; but doing so will lower her cost-basis on the house, when she decides to sell it.

- Joel
Easily impressed by single women that can afford a house, an apartment and a deadbeat boyfriend.

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 132391 of 308881
Subject: Re: OT Rant: Electric companies Date: 7/1/2002 6:14 PM
I'm guessing that if they threatened to turn the power off, you and your friend were VERY deliquent in paying your bills.
The obvious solution here, and one guaranteed to reduce stress, is to pay your bills on time.

jb

Author: LuluB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 132431 of 308881
Subject: Re: OT Rant: Electric companies Date: 7/2/2002 11:04 AM
Recommendations: 2
The obvious solution here, and one guaranteed to reduce stress, is to pay your bills on time.

The more obvious solution is to let the DUMB@SS sit in the dark if he's too lazy to pay the electric bill.

Author: CristyneS Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 132433 of 308881
Subject: Re: OT Rant: Electric companies Date: 7/2/2002 11:25 AM
I have to agree with you Lulu- I know heather has some medical problems, but I have read back through her posts and I can't believe he treats her like he does.

Heather- You deserve better.

CristyneS

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement