UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JasperCapital Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 465354  
Subject: OT: remembering Sonnypage Date: 3/22/2013 7:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 26
I was just going through some memories and started thinking about Sonnypage. I was looking up some of his posts and then came across his CAPS page. His SLW pick stand out as a strange type of cyber-investing memorial. Note the starting price of $2.92 and a current percentage gain of 969% since 2008. I never noticed his CAPS page before. He really did catch the bottom in that one! (And reminded us of it constantly, which I miss reading)

http://caps.fool.com/player/sonnypage.aspx

For those who aren't long-term METARites, sonnypage was a friend and frequent poster on METAR until his untimely passing in June 2011.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 418677 of 465354
Subject: Re: OT: remembering Sonnypage Date: 3/22/2013 8:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I've been waiting to make my most heartfelt post here at the fool.

Don't have a clue when I will make it, but when the stars line up, you will see it here.

Subject: SONNYWHEATON Hits $100

Late... but not forgotten.

I hope I get to post it before 12/31/2013

Two years past his predicted date.

.... but who's counting?

Author: RaptorD2 Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 418686 of 465354
Subject: Re: OT: remembering Sonnypage Date: 3/23/2013 2:20 AM
Recommendations: 1
Sonny and I used to email back and forth in spurts. He was really a smart guy in spite of the fact that I loved to give him a hard time about his one-trick pony named Silver. A while back I changed email software and just the other day I noticed that all my archived emails with Sonny were missing. I almost cried.

Carpe diem!

Dan

Author: flyerboys Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 418696 of 465354
Subject: Re: OT: remembering Sonnypage Date: 3/23/2013 9:47 AM
Recommendations: 9
I'll add:

Sonnypage was one of the founders of the METAR feature of occasional longer posts focused on evoking life and place, of delicious and playful literary quality. He was also a Paladin of discursive civility.

I do not know where else and how in the universe, or Georgia, he is remembered, but METAR as it now exists is partly a living memorial to SP.

Miss him.

david fb

Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 418699 of 465354
Subject: Re: OT: remembering Sonnypage Date: 3/23/2013 11:01 AM
Recommendations: 4
do not know where else and how in the universe, or Georgia, he is remembered, but METAR as it now exists is partly a living memorial to SP.

I fondly remember SonnyPage and hope that someday, in Heaven (if I end up there), I will be able to meet him face-to-face.

Sometimes, I think it ridiculous to feel a personal connection with someone with whom I have shared only written correspondence, whether by letter, blog post or E-mail.

However, anyone who has studied the Bible in a serious way (or Shakespeare, or any great poet for that matter), can understand how repeatedly reading what and how a person expresses themselves eventually gives the reader a glimpse of the mind, personality and essence of that person.

There are a lot of people I would like to meet in Heaven. Hopefully the Good Lord will forgive SonnyPage his clever outmaneuvering a bankster in order to get a short sale on one of his investment properties.

:-)

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 418704 of 465354
Subject: Re: OT: remembering Sonnypage Date: 3/23/2013 12:38 PM
There are a lot of people I would like to meet in Heaven. Hopefully the Good Lord will forgive SonnyPage his clever outmaneuvering a bankster in order to get a short sale on one of his investment properties.

I believe God has forgiven him.

... but only after he completed an assigned act of penance...

"Sonny, you are to listen to angry denunciations of your sanity for putting so much of your money in Silver Wheaton... and you are to listen with unflagging grace, dignity, and good manners."

It was pretty awesome.

Author: rubberthinking Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 418707 of 465354
Subject: Re: OT: remembering Sonnypage Date: 3/23/2013 1:05 PM
Recommendations: 2
http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/gallery.html?s=%24silver

Sonnypage was a gentleman. Never had a mean word. Rare.

Silver Wheaton and Silver in general had pretty much the same top in early 2011. Things look bearish from here for both of them.

Mish was very wrong to denounce SP's short sale of the lake property. It was no moral or ethical collapse at all. There are two sides to every contract. Both sides take a risk. And both sides determine usually in private what to do if the risk does not turn out well. Denouncing the short sale though was not such a big deal, but constantly harping on the ethics of it for months was an ugly and uncalled for offense.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Or people in glass houses should not throw stones.

Dave

Author: Seniorskeptic One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 418708 of 465354
Subject: Re: OT: remembering Sonnypage Date: 3/23/2013 1:20 PM
Recommendations: 6
If METAR is ultimately about making money, then my thanks, once again, go to Sonnypage for his cheer-leading for a certain silver stock. I got into it a bit later than Sonny, but realized the best overall return I have ever had in the market place. Thanks to him (and SLW) I now have a whole house, stand-by generator, bought and paid for by that same silver company. I was anxiously awaiting his next big pick when we lost him to the ages. His essays were pretty darn good also! Thanks, and Peace be with you Sonny.

Bill (never again without power)

Author: notehound Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 418709 of 465354
Subject: Re: OT: remembering Sonnypage Date: 3/23/2013 1:34 PM
There are two sides to every contract.

One of the earliest things I remember from law school is my Contracts professor's rather startling pronouncement that "Breach is Good." Good for lawyers, anyway.

He also mentioned that people comply with contract obligations when the cost of compliance is less than their perceived cost of breach - and that likewise, people breach contracts when they determine it is in their best interest to do so.

It's just business. Nothing personal, ya know.

;-)

Author: brucedoe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 418710 of 465354
Subject: Re: OT: remembering Sonnypage Date: 3/23/2013 1:43 PM
As we remember Sonnypage, a favorite of his - SLW - has raised its dividend 100%.

brucedoe

Author: cgrinder Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 418768 of 465354
Subject: Re: OT: remembering Sonnypage Date: 3/24/2013 4:05 PM
Recommendations: 0
i enjoyed his assessment of his local real estate market. he was a joy to read

Author: somethingwicked One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 418811 of 465354
Subject: Re: OT: remembering Sonnypage Date: 3/25/2013 8:46 AM
Aye, I too surely miss Sonny. His Tales from the Thai Thai were jewels. I remember the sense of pleasure that would wash over me when scanning the index on Metar and there on the screen would be a new thread by Sonny. He never disappointed.

Here's to you, my friend...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement