UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883927  
Subject: OT - RIP Ravi Shankar Date: 12/12/2012 10:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 10
Pandit Ravi Shankar died yesterday. For those of you who aren't familiar with his work, he is best known in the West as the musician who brought Indian music to The Beatles, but he was so much more than just that. He was a brilliant master of his art - experimenting and playing with musicians around the world right up to the last.

I didn't know at 7, when I saw (and at that age sat though and loved!) the film of The Concert For Bangladesh, that Indian music and film would become one of my life-long passions. But truly one of the great interests of my life started with listening to his music. So, thank you for that, and thank you for all the years of music.

RIP Ravi-ji...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jD-tY_IQz8
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869519 of 883927
Subject: Re: OT - RIP Ravi Shankar Date: 12/12/2012 10:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
sorry for duplicate post. I requested the other to be deleted.

Author: topdraftpick Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869523 of 883927
Subject: Re: OT - RIP Ravi Shankar Date: 12/12/2012 11:48 AM
I saw him in concert once and had an opportunity to meet him (albeit briefly). He was a kind and gracious man, as well as an outstanding artist.

tdp

Author: InconclusiveFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869530 of 883927
Subject: Re: OT - RIP Ravi Shankar Date: 12/12/2012 6:19 PM
Recommendations: 1
The best moment in "The Concert for Bangladesh" is Billy Preston's church-inspired tour-de-force, "That's the Way God Planned It." I have watched this many times, and am never disappointed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyyetXvX76Q

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869563 of 883927
Subject: Re: OT - RIP Ravi Shankar Date: 12/13/2012 3:52 PM
Pandit Ravi Shankar died yesterday. For those of you who aren't familiar with his work, he is best known in the West as the musician who brought Indian music to The Beatles, but he was so much more than just that. He was a brilliant master of his art - experimenting and playing with musicians around the world right up to the last.... - Gingko100 | Date: 12/12/2012 10:15:06 AM | Number: 869562

I was enjoying his recordings in the Fall of 1962 when I was an early admissions student at the University of Wisconsin. I was fifteen.

Kahuna, CFA

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement