No. of Recommendations: 1
An interesting piece for a number of reasons, including robots picking groceries; references to machine learning and quantum computing; as well as the interesting (Amazon-like) diversification for Ocado into supply of "the hive". (I've never considered investing in Ocado, but maybe I'll do some digging into it.)

With about $1.4 billion in 2016 sales, the British e-commerce firm is the world's largest online-only grocery chain. Founded in 2000, some 12 years before Instacart, it has since innovated its way through brutally complex logistical problems.

"We're dealing with 50,000 kinds of products, three temperature regimes, products that have to be segregated," says CTO Paul Clarke.

Ocado built a solution from scratch over its 17 year-existence, one more specialized than any used by typical e-commerce firms because of the added complexity of handling food.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/parmyolson/2017/11/16/ocado-rob...

I'll be keeping a look out for their driverless delivery trucks, as that trial is taking place in my part of London. I'm interested to know how it will work, e.g. presumably the person taking delivery will need to unload their own groceries from the delivery truck (?)

Alex
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement