Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 442178  
Subject: OT: Shoot a sacred cow, Girl Scouts lessons Date: 11/14/2012 11:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Ok, the most recent advertising agenda by the Girl Scouts has me really shaking my head at the hypocrisy. This started with a billboard in my area that says something like 'i learn a lifetime of experiences from selling cookies'.

I can't find that exact billboard on line, but I did find a news article that says this.."The Girl Scout cookie box is getting a major makeover — for the first time in more than a dozen years — to better tell the story of what girls learn from selling cookies."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/business/media/girl-scouts...

I can't remember the last time I actually bought a box of cookies from a Girl Scout. I can definitely say that the last few times I did actually buy a box, it was at work or out of an ice cream display at supermarket.

So...what are girls learning from selling cookies?

-- My mother will sell my cookies for me
-- I won't have to do anything to sell cookies because my mom does the book keeping too
-- I will get all the kudos for work I never did

That's what I see. Maybe there are some kids out there actually selling, but I can tell you they are the EXTREME minority and they are most likely losing out in the 'battle for sales supremecy' within the troops.

This is rediculous.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412984 of 442178
Subject: Re: OT: Shoot a sacred cow, Girl Scouts lessons Date: 11/14/2012 12:06 PM
Recommendations: 0
My mother will sell my cookies for me
-- I won't have to do anything to sell cookies because my mom does the book keeping too

Sort of like being a vulture capitalist ala Mitt Romney. And they are learning about "tax free" income to boot. Its all very American

Author: hewler Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412985 of 442178
Subject: Re: OT: Shoot a sacred cow, Girl Scouts lessons Date: 11/14/2012 12:11 PM
Recommendations: 5
http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2791#c...

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412987 of 442178
Subject: Re: OT: Shoot a sacred cow, Girl Scouts lessons Date: 11/14/2012 12:18 PM
http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=2791#c......

LOL!

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412997 of 442178
Subject: Re: OT: Shoot a sacred cow, Girl Scouts lessons Date: 11/14/2012 1:56 PM
Recommendations: 11
My 8 (yay she finally had a birthday) year old is now at a school where the kids do absolutely no selling-stuff-fund-raising. Instead a couple of times a year the PTA sends home a flyer headed "No Hassle Fundraiser" and the parent is encouraged to make their donation without the irritation/hassle of either buying or selling carp we don't actually want to mess with anyway. It's wonderful and the PTA bank balance is just fine. The parent is encouraged to savour that moment when they sign their check, basking in the sunshine of no door to door selling, or sitting at booths or tables; or the annoyance of your child whining about getting enough "points" to qualify for cheap plastic crap. Other service organizations might seriously consider adopting this model.

Author: LOTROQueen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 412998 of 442178
Subject: Re: OT: Shoot a sacred cow, Girl Scouts lessons Date: 11/14/2012 2:09 PM
So...what are girls learning from selling cookies?

-- My mother will sell my cookies for me

That's what I see. Maybe there are some kids out there actually selling, but I can tell you they are the EXTREME minority and they are most likely losing out in the 'battle for sales supremecy' within the troops.

The competitiveness depends on the troop. My troop doesn't push selling MORE MORE MORE - we do try to encourage the girls to sell a small amount to participate (even if they don't sell enough to get the official cookie theme patch, we'll give them a different cookie patch) but the booth sale in front of the supermarket is fun and they do the selling/bagging/change making and interacting with customers. Of course I'm there and other adults are there, too, but the girls make the signs and try to get people to buy cookies.

If you'd like to buy cookies, I think they go on sale in late January for pre-orders with delivery in March/April and our council really needs the money to help clean up their facilities from hurricane and nor'easter damage. :) The lemon ones (Savannah Smiles) were really good last year.

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413000 of 442178
Subject: Re: OT: Shoot a sacred cow, Girl Scouts lessons Date: 11/14/2012 2:10 PM
My 8 (yay she finally had a birthday) year old is now at a school where the kids do absolutely no selling-stuff-fund-raising. Instead a couple of times a year the PTA sends home a flyer headed "No Hassle Fundraiser" and the parent is encouraged to make their donation without the irritation/hassle of either buying or selling carp we don't actually want to mess with anyway. It's wonderful and the PTA bank balance is just fine. The parent is encouraged to savour that moment when they sign their check, basking in the sunshine of no door to door selling, or sitting at booths or tables; or the annoyance of your child whining about getting enough "points" to qualify for cheap plastic crap. Other service organizations might seriously consider adopting this model.

My 5 year old nephew just did a walkathon for his school! It was actually very cute.

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413001 of 442178
Subject: Re: OT: Shoot a sacred cow, Girl Scouts lessons Date: 11/14/2012 2:13 PM
If you'd like to buy cookies, I think they go on sale in late January for pre-orders with delivery in March/April

Huh...they have been on sale here at work (with display set up right on file cabinets) for the last three or four weeks now. Complete with guilt because I haven't purchased any yet.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413002 of 442178
Subject: Re: OT: Shoot a sacred cow, Girl Scouts lessons Date: 11/14/2012 2:14 PM
Recommendations: 1
...but the booth sale in front of the supermarket is fun...

I find those annoying. I always say 'no', not because I'm a meanie (though I am), but because my GS cookie dollars are scattered among the various coworkers selling them for their daughters. And it's all very political (which I suck at)...

"Two boxes from coworker who helps me sometimes. Five from supervisor. None from that useless guy...." Etc.

But I'm all cookie'd out by the time I encounter the grocery store girls.

1poorguy

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413009 of 442178
Subject: Re: OT: Shoot a sacred cow, Girl Scouts lessons Date: 11/14/2012 3:02 PM
I buy from the Girl Scouts. I don't buy from the Boy Scouts. I always want to say "I don't buy from homophobic right wing fundamentalist discriminating bible-thumping believe-as-I-believe organizations, so why would I buy anything from you? But I do buy from the Girl Scouts."

But I never do, since the 11-year old boy standing there wouldn't have the slightest idea what I mean. But his father would, I bet.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413014 of 442178
Subject: Re: OT: Shoot a sacred cow, Girl Scouts lessons Date: 11/14/2012 4:13 PM
I find those annoying. I always say 'no', not because I'm a meanie (though I am), but because my GS cookie dollars are scattered among the various coworkers selling them for their daughters. And it's all very political (which I suck at)...

"Two boxes from coworker who helps me sometimes. Five from supervisor. None from that useless guy...." Etc.

I just buy one box from everyone. That way I don't get involved in office politics.

PSU

Author: rmhj Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413016 of 442178
Subject: Re: OT: Shoot a sacred cow, Girl Scouts lessons Date: 11/14/2012 4:28 PM
Recommendations: 2
dlbuffy: That's what I see. Maybe there are some kids out there actually selling, but I can tell you they are the EXTREME minority and they are most likely losing out in the 'battle for sales supremecy' within the troops.

This is rediculous.

OCD: If this is rediculous, what was it the first time?

(rj)

Author: n8larson Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413017 of 442178
Subject: Re: OT: Shoot a sacred cow, Girl Scouts lessons Date: 11/14/2012 4:40 PM
Maybe there are some kids out there actually selling, but I can tell you they are the EXTREME minority and they are most likely losing out in the 'battle for sales supremecy' within the troops.
This is rediculous.

I don't know, but it pales in comparison to sales supremecy. : )

Girl Scout cookies became forbidden at our house when we "learned" that the group has separate merit badges for having and performing abortions (in addition to the one for being a lesbian), and that the cookies are actually made from communist fetal tissue. (only partly kidding... http://gawker.com/5887002/politician-girl-scouts-sell-cookie... )

So, yes, I just buy a few from co-workers to enjoy at work and help their kid out. It's low-key, though... almost always just a signup form on the fridge in the break room, and I don't ask them to chip in when my kid's doing some crappy fundraiser.

-n8 (like now, for example. Anyone want a $25 "Holiday Wreath"? Didn't think so.)

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413018 of 442178
Subject: Re: OT: Shoot a sacred cow, Girl Scouts lessons Date: 11/14/2012 4:44 PM
I buy from the Girl Scouts. I don't buy from the Boy Scouts. I always want to say "I don't buy from homophobic right wing fundamentalist discriminating bible-thumping believe-as-I-believe organizations, so why would I buy anything from you? But I do buy from the Girl Scouts."

But I never do, since the 11-year old boy standing there wouldn't have the slightest idea what I mean. But his father would, I bet.

What do the Boy Scouts sell? Papal dispensations?

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413021 of 442178
Subject: Re: OT: Shoot a sacred cow, Girl Scouts lessons Date: 11/14/2012 5:55 PM
What do the Boy Scouts sell?

The one I remember (in KC) was Xmas wreaths/garlands/etc. Fresh. We went door to door with our catalog, took the orders, and then had to deliver them when they arrived. As I recall they were actually pretty nice. They'd last a couple of weeks (as I recall)...maybe longer if you were good about spritzing them regularly.

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413022 of 442178
Subject: Re: OT: Shoot a sacred cow, Girl Scouts lessons Date: 11/14/2012 5:57 PM

The one I remember (in KC) was Xmas wreaths/garlands/etc. Fresh. We went door to door with our catalog, took the orders, and then had to deliver them when they arrived. As I recall they were actually pretty nice. They'd last a couple of weeks (as I recall)...maybe longer if you were good about spritzing them regularly.

Last year my mom was sent a "free" wreath from Boys Town (not scouts). It was spray painted green and smelled like lacquer or airplane glue. We had to hang it off the back porch where it only killed the birds.

Author: CountUpp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413025 of 442178
Subject: Re: OT: Shoot a sacred cow, Girl Scouts lessons Date: 11/14/2012 6:16 PM

(rj)

I get it! It was only diculous!

Count Upp

Author: FoolYap Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413029 of 442178
Subject: Re: OT: Shoot a sacred cow, Girl Scouts lessons Date: 11/14/2012 8:23 PM

A couple of decades ago when the oldest Yaplet was a Scout, it used to be popcorn, caramel corn, cheese corn, etc. Was pretty good IIRC, too.

--FY

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 413039 of 442178
Subject: Re: OT: Shoot a sacred cow, Girl Scouts lessons Date: 11/14/2012 10:22 PM
I get it! It was only diculous!

Count Upp

Can count on you guys like you can count on the weather.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (19) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement