UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Anibaldo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 59162  
Subject: OT: Spaghetti Vongole Date: 2/18/2007 4:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
This is a very easy recipe. You need

Fresh small clams in shells 500 gr.
300-400 gr. of ripe tomatoes.
Chopped garlic 4-5 cloves
Olive oil 1/2 cup
Salt 1/2 teaspoon (keep in mind, the vongole carry some salt, anyway
Chopped parsley 1/2 cup
Spaghetti 500 gr. (Take good quality!)
Two or three small (1-2cm) dried chili peppers (chopped, without seeds, and wash your hands immediately after chopping them!)

1. Wash and keep the clams in salt water for half an hour before cooking..
2. Peel the tomatoes (shower them with boiling water, the peeling gets off easily, afterwards. Chop the tomatoes into small pieces.
3. In a sauce pan over medium heat, saute garlic in oil until light blond.
4. Add tomatoes, salt, half of parsley, and the chili. Stir slowly and cook for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add drained clams, stir and cover till the clams are open (3-4 minutes). If the sauce is too dry add 1/4
cup boiling water from the pasta pan.
6. Drain the spaghetti cooked al dente and put back into the same pasta pan, pour on the clam juice from
the sauce pan and stir for 1 minute over medium heat (You can start to cook pasta, in the pan with boiling
water, when adding tomatoes to sauce pan).
7. Top each dish with clams and the rest of parsley and then serve.
8. If you have spaghetti plates, strew some chopped parsley over the edges of the plates. Looks great.

This is a slightly modified version of this recipe:
http://www.recipes.portanapoli.com/Recipes/spaghetti-vongole.html

As you see, I take more tomatoes (not necessarily cherry tomatoes) and peel them. I take more garlic and add the chili peppers.

Abe
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2263 of 59162
Subject: Re: OT: Spaghetti Vongole Date: 2/18/2007 4:39 AM
Recommendations: 0
Where do you get ripe tomatoes in February?

Author: Anibaldo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2264 of 59162
Subject: Re: OT: Spaghetti Vongole Date: 2/18/2007 4:43 AM
Recommendations: 2

I live in Southern Spain. They grow them here all year long.

Abe

Author: Anibaldo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2265 of 59162
Subject: Re: OT: Spaghetti Vongole Date: 2/18/2007 5:14 AM

And I forgot. Can't you buy ripe tomatoes anywhere all year long in the US? In Germany they import them e.g. from the Canary Islands or Almeria province.

Abe

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2277 of 59162
Subject: Re: OT: Spaghetti Vongole Date: 2/18/2007 11:15 AM
And I forgot. Can't you buy ripe tomatoes anywhere all year long in the US? In Germany they import them e.g. from the Canary Islands or Almeria province.

I get them in New York all year. I use grape tomatoes for salads, and the box currently in my kitchen is labelled "Product of U.S.A." But I also have peaches, nectarines and plums with little stickers "Product of Chile" in itty-bitty writing.

I've noticed very nice plum tomatoes in the markets lately, perhaps from Chile. Yesterday a man in the market was looking for fresh figs and I asked if he was planning to eat them with port and brie, but he had in mind figs with a "fine Italian ham." I went off to get thyme and don't know if they had the figs -- If I had to put money on it I'd bet they had them. (Produce shop in Chelsea Market)

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2278 of 59162
Subject: Re: OT: Spaghetti Vongole Date: 2/18/2007 11:22 AM

This is a very easy recipe. You need

Fresh small clams in shells 500 gr.
300-400 gr. of ripe tomatoes.

FWIW .i had this in restaurant recently ... MMmmmmmmmm Yum

( though i probably got canned tomatoes , and don't think i tasted chili --so This probably better )

=b

Author: Anibaldo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2282 of 59162
Subject: Re: OT: Spaghetti Vongole Date: 2/18/2007 11:53 AM
though i probably got canned tomatoes

Please don't use canned tomatoes. Use cherry tomatoes (you can keep the peeling) or ripe tomatoes you peel yourself. I never use canned tomatoes, myself. It's not the real thing.

Abe

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2308 of 59162
Subject: Re: OT: Spaghetti Vongole Date: 2/18/2007 1:54 PM
Recommendations: 1
This is just as tasty without the tomatos and with more parsley. I make it a lot.

The tomatos sound like a nice touch, and I will try them next time!

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2558 of 59162
Subject: Re: OT: Spaghetti Vongole Date: 2/20/2007 12:44 PM
Anibaldo says

We do get imported tomatoes from Mexico and elsewhere, but they are picked green and after ripening they are inferior. We get hothouse tomatoes that are advertised as "vine ripened," but they're not very good either.

Perhaps I am just spoiled, because the area in Northern California where I live produces incomparable tomatoes in the late summer and fall. The rest of the year, I adjust my cooking habits and use Italian canned tomatoes.

Author: Anibaldo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2576 of 59162
Subject: Re: OT: Spaghetti Vongole Date: 2/20/2007 5:58 PM
The rest of the year, I adjust my cooking habits and use Italian canned tomatoes.

Canned tomatoes lack the texture of real tomatoes, IMHO. And, if I understand well, everything canned has been cooked before. I prefer to cook them tomatoes myself.

Abe

Author: LtUhura Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2582 of 59162
Subject: Re: OT: Spaghetti Vongole Date: 2/20/2007 7:20 PM
Abe, I'm not a big clam fan. Can I substitute oysters?

Uhura

Author: joseph714 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2583 of 59162
Subject: Re: OT: Spaghetti Vongole Date: 2/20/2007 7:33 PM
I'm neither an eater of clams, nor oysters.

I beleive i'll do tempeh as my sub.

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2593 of 59162
Subject: Re: OT: Spaghetti Vongole Date: 2/20/2007 10:08 PM
Anibaldo says

Canned tomatoes lack the texture of real tomatoes, IMHO. And, if I understand well, everything canned has been cooked before. I prefer to cook them tomatoes myself.

When I use canned tomatoes, I only use recipes where the tomatoes are simmered for a long time. Then it makes n o difference who cooks them.

When I have really superior late-summer local tomatoes, I use the "Angel Hair Pasta With Fresh Tomatoes" recipe which you can find here:

http://web.mac.com/casseres/iWeb/Site/Recipes.html

crassfool

Author: LtUhura Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2597 of 59162
Subject: Re: OT: Spaghetti Vongole Date: 2/20/2007 10:29 PM

Ummmm, tempeh. There's nothing I love more in my pad thai than tempeh, and I do make a mean pad thai if I say so myself.

Uhura

Author: Anibaldo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2604 of 59162
Subject: Re: OT: Spaghetti Vongole Date: 2/21/2007 3:03 AM

Uhura

I fear oysters are too liquid.

Abe

Author: DorothyM Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2625 of 59162
Subject: Re: OT: Spaghetti Vongole Date: 2/21/2007 12:28 PM
Ummmm, tempeh. There's nothing I love more in my pad thai than tempeh, and I do make a mean pad thai if I say so myself.

Please, your recipe. I've don't use tempeh but would like to. I tried it once (a long time ago) and was traumatized by the results, so haven't tried it again.

Author: joseph714 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2657 of 59162
Subject: Re: OT: Spaghetti Vongole Date: 2/21/2007 5:47 PM

Uhura
-----------

Our local food co-op makes their own tempeh as well as tofu.

Iv'e had many co-ops offerings, this tempeh is fab.

Hope you have access to similar. Fresh locally made rocks always over packaged.

Author: joseph714 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2659 of 59162
Subject: Re: OT: Spaghetti Vongole Date: 2/21/2007 5:53 PM

Uhura

I fear oysters are too liquid.

Abe
-------------
Among other things.

Author: Amy4Tybee Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2663 of 59162
Subject: Re: OT: Spaghetti Vongole Date: 2/21/2007 6:21 PM
Didn't I see a mention of tom kha soup in the original post? Could you please post it?

Author: Anibaldo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2744 of 59162
Subject: Re: OT: Spaghetti Vongole Date: 2/22/2007 6:17 PM
Didn't I see a mention of tom kha soup in the original post? Could you please post it?

Hopefully, I'll post it on Saturday. It's late over here, and tomorrow I will be busy. But I promise you that it's easy to do and everybody loves it.

Abe

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement