UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Lokicious Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35392  
Subject: OT: Speaking of Elderly Issues Date: 4/9/2004 1:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Just read Sissy's post (hey, my myth guy gets off insulting everyone for no good reason, except, of course, when he's sucking up—hate to admit it, but a role model for Rummy—also lies all the time).

Anyway, wondering if anyone is in insurance and could answer a question I don't want to ask my agent, vis a vis latest crisis with aging in-laws.

Put simply, according to Michigan law, their auto registration from California and my mother-in-law's driver's licence (father-in-law no longer drives, thank God) are no longer legal. Their legal residence is Michigan—they sold their California house and bought one here, and they were required to get Michigan registration/licence, immediately. My mother-in-law insists they might move back (turns out Michigan is cold and her friends are there—like no one warned her) so she doesn't have to obey the law. I'm looking for excuses to scare her about being an illegal alien more than she is scared of failing a driving test. I'm refusing to drive their car anymore to get gas and charge the battery until it is registered in Michigan on the grounds that I could get ticketed and have my licence suspended (might even be true).

But I am actually concerned about insurance. If she is driving in effect without a licence in an unregistered vehicle, is her insurance going to cover her if she gets in an accident? (Even if the answer is that she is covered, I may still raise doubt to push the panic button, but if she is not covered, we need to go beyond just pushing panic buttons.)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: euphoriant Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9898 of 35392
Subject: Re: OT: Speaking of Elderly Issues Date: 4/9/2004 4:47 PM
I don't have the slightest...have you asked over on the Insurance board?

http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=100156&mid=20608713

Author: Lokicious Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9899 of 35392
Subject: Re: OT: Speaking of Elderly Issues Date: 4/9/2004 5:09 PM
"I don't have the slightest...have you asked over on the Insurance board?"

Thanks: didn't know there was an insurance board. Will ask, since the more I think about it, this needs to be answered ASAP.

Author: SisypheanFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9900 of 35392
Subject: Re: OT: Speaking of Elderly Issues Date: 4/9/2004 8:55 PM
But I am actually concerned about insurance. If she is driving in effect without a licence in an unregistered vehicle, is her insurance going to cover her if she gets in an accident?

It just so happens that I was reviewing the insurance policy of the elder I tend to, who recently was discharged home from a hospital stay (I've got posts on this event over on the Taking Care of Parents board). He has a live-in aide as a condition of returning to his home, so I was reviewing the coverage as it applies to the aide.
His policy (AAA) defines under "Who is Covered?" as being an operator lawfully licensed to operate the insured vehicle...

Interestingly, my policy (GE) does not make the same definition. However, under exclusions, it does exclude claims resulting from illegal activities by a covered operator.

Ultimately, you'd have to read her policy to have the answer regarding her specific insurer. But you could bet that any insurer would have their bases covered to get out of liability for a claim resulting from an unlicensed driver of the covered vehicle.

Author: splotto Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9901 of 35392
Subject: Re: OT: Speaking of Elderly Issues Date: 4/10/2004 7:21 AM
SF:

Just a little OT for you. Todays quote was all about your namesake.

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a human heart. One must imagine that Sisyphus is happy.

Albert Camus
--The Myth of Sisyphus

Splotto

Author: Lokicious Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9903 of 35392
Subject: Re: OT: Speaking of Elderly Issues Date: 4/10/2004 9:25 AM
Sis,

You may be intrested iin response on insurance board:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=20616763

(see also preceding messages)

Author: SisypheanFool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9945 of 35392
Subject: Re: OT: Speaking of Elderly Issues Date: 4/16/2004 2:07 AM
Recommendations: 2
The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a human heart. One must imagine that Sisyphus is happy.
Nice quote!

When I was first introduced to the Sisyphis fable, I was enamored with the fatalistic aspect of his curse. But through the years, I've been more taken with his optimism in being willing to keep trying despite a known outcome.
Not unlike the ant in the song, High Hopes.

It's a pretty cool spirit.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement