UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 883690  
Subject: OT: Sugar withdrawl causes depression Date: 12/15/2012 12:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/diet-depressed-2129006...

They found that the brain chemistry of the mice eating the unhealthy diet actually changed over time and concluded that, should the mice shift to a healthy diet, they would likely experience withdrawal symptoms, depression, and a greater sensitivity to stressful situations.

Give me chocolate and no one gets hurt.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: PaintItBlue Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869588 of 883690
Subject: Re: OT: Sugar withdrawl causes depression Date: 12/15/2012 1:01 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Wonder how much of that is just aggravation because all of a sudden his menu got switched?

Author: 4thebird Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869589 of 883690
Subject: Re: OT: Sugar withdrawl causes depression Date: 12/15/2012 8:10 AM
Recommendations: 2
probably a die off of yeast and fungus when you switch food sources would do it.

http://intestinalgardener.blogspot.com/2011/04/flora-helpers...

here is a study done on honey about the flora.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869602 of 883690
Subject: Re: OT: Sugar withdrawl causes depression Date: 12/15/2012 8:37 PM
Wonder how much of that is just aggravation because all of a sudden his menu got switched?

That's what I'm thinking - going "cold turkey" no matter what the item is usually causes somekind of withdrawl symptoms - even if just "psychological" instead of "physical" (like video game addiction versus addictions where something is ingested).

Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869603 of 883690
Subject: Re: OT: Sugar withdrawl causes depression Date: 12/15/2012 10:51 PM
Recommendations: 3
<That's what I'm thinking - going "cold turkey" no matter what the item is usually causes somekind of withdrawl symptoms - even if just "psychological" instead of "physical" (like video game addiction versus addictions where something is ingested). >

Both video games and sugar target dopamine in the brain's reward center in susceptible individuals. The withdrawal symptoms of both are caused by dopamine deficiency even though they seem so different.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dopamine
http://www.utexas.edu/research/asrec/dopamine.html

The key is the brain's reward center. Most people probably won't experience withdrawal pangs if they (say) stop eating spinach or listening to muzak because these aren't terribly exciting and don't trigger dopamine in the reward center in most people's brain.

Wendy

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869616 of 883690
Subject: Re: OT: Sugar withdrawl causes depression Date: 12/16/2012 11:59 AM
The key is the brain's reward center.

Which is why I made the distinction between something ingested/physical versus something that's more of a "psychological" addiction.

Marijuana isn't considered a physically addictive drug - but some people do become psychologically addicted to it (how scientists describe it). So their brain chemistry is "rewarding" them somehow eventhough the drug itself doesn't contain physically addictive ingredients the way opiates do.

Similar to sugar or video games - for those have a strong reaction to them.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement