UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 885493  
Subject: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packages Date: 12/5/2012 8:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Part of Living Below Your Means means not getting ripped off.

I really don't know why UPS and the others don't stop doing this. We read this kind of story every year about this time.

When you here the doorbell, ANSWER the door!

<snip>

Police have arrested two men for allegedly stealing packages from the doorsteps of homes on Long Island.

Albert Munoz, 21, and Freddy Benavides, Jr., 20, had been following a UPS truck Tuesday and stealing packages after they were dropped off, police said.

An off-duty New York State Trooper called police after he spotted the suspects stealing a package from a home ...

<snip>

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/12/05/2-men-accused-of-stea...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869326 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/5/2012 9:15 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 16

You are assuming, I gather, that everyone is home all day, is always ready to answer the doorbell, and, in fact, have functional doorbells.

Nancy
does not meet any of those criteria.

Author: GardenStateFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869327 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/5/2012 10:20 PM
Recommendations: 1

1. I work all day. I'm not home to answer the door. Sometimes when I am home, I'm in the shower, in the basement, or indecent.
2. My UPS guy doesn't ring the doorbell when he drops packages even when I am home. He walks up, puts them down in front of the door, and leaves.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869328 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/5/2012 10:28 PM
Amazon is aware of this problem and is reportedly getting set to offer local delivery sites where you can pick up your package.

I would suspect that you can arrange to have your package delivered to a UPS Store or a Fed Ex store for pickup.

But this is not automatic. You have to work out the details and then request delivery to that address.

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869329 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/6/2012 6:36 AM
Recommendations: 0
does not meet any of those criteria.

Me neither. And yet, luckily, I've had no packages stolen.

Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869333 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/6/2012 9:07 AM

You are assuming, I gather, that everyone is home all day, is always ready to answer the doorbell, and, in fact, have functional doorbells.

Heck, there's an implied assumption that UPS actually rang the doorbell!

I have received packages at home many times that were delivered by UPS and just left near the back door without ever ringing the bell. I know this because our doorbell is connected to our intercom, so it's not likely at all that I wouldn't hear it if they bothered to ring the bell on the days that I have been home when they have tried to deliver.

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869334 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/6/2012 9:51 AM
Recommendations: 2
Heck, there's an implied assumption that UPS actually rang the doorbell!

There is no rhyme or reason to their package delivery methods. I have a direct view of the driveway. When I around, I have seen them:

1. Ring the doorbell AND knock or,

2. Just ring doorbell or

3. Just knock or

4. Drop and run

If you are in an area where potential package theft might be an issue, UPS has a service online called "My Choice".. Free to sign up. You can, for free, change your package delivery to "Will Call" and pick it up at their local office.

Linky: http://www.ups.com/mychoice/

You get one change for free. If you needed to reschedule, either back to your home or somewhere else, there's a $5 charge per tracking number if you do it online. I don't think you can do the change with the CS reps over the phone. At least I couldn't when I recently did a "Will Call" change for the delivery of our new cell phones.

You may be able to divert packages to your work address, but I am not sure. I didn't check for that feature when I used the service recently.

Check also, this may be offered - changing your delivery day to one where you will be home, instead of one when you are away.

You can receive email alerts both when a package is scheduled to be delivered to you, with its estimated window, and an email once it has been delivered. That would allow you to contact a neighbor and ask them to pick up the package off of your doorstep if you wanted.

Laura

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869336 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/6/2012 11:51 AM
I have received packages at home many times that were delivered by UPS and just left near the back door without ever ringing the bell. I know this because our doorbell is connected to our intercom, so it's not likely at all that I wouldn't hear it if they bothered to ring the bell on the days that I have been home when they have tried to deliver.

Wait 'til you try to tell them they delivered a package that doesn't belong to you. That's lots of fun. It would have been easier and faster to deliver it myself.

Nancy
no, he didn't ring the doorbell and deliver it to me in person. He left it on the front porch.

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869337 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/6/2012 12:28 PM

Wait 'til you try to tell them they delivered a package that doesn't belong to you.

this happened about a year ago with a 52" TV that was dropped off on my porch.

I went to the correct address (the address that was ON the box) and told her where it was, but no WAY was i going to try to move that.

peace & she came back with a friend and a truck
t

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869338 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/6/2012 1:55 PM
Shipping companies seem to have various rules that apply.

Shipper can designate that addressee must sign for the shipment. But then if you are not home, you get a notice that they are trying to deliver package. Often its a Post-it note on your front door. Sometimes you can arrange to pick up the package. But often if you fail to respond in a few days, package gets returned to sender.

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869339 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/6/2012 3:29 PM
I lived on LI and me and my husband commuted into Manhattan every day for work. We left home at 6:30-7AM and didn't return again until 7-8PM.
Most people are working during the day. A package left on my doorstep would have been very visible from the street.
On the other hand, my daughter lives in a small town in MA and she leaves her fancy stroller out front all day long. I cannot get over it. It would have lasted in Brooklyn just a few seconds before someone made off with it if it was left unattended. She's been doing this for three years!

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869341 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/6/2012 4:08 PM
I have received packages at home many times that were delivered by UPS and just left near the back door without ever ringing the bell.

Leaving packages at the back (or side) door would be a good solution, but I guess they're afraid of dogs and besides it would take longer.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869342 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/6/2012 4:17 PM
You can, for free, change your package delivery to "Will Call" and pick it up at their local office.

I don't know how it is now or "there" but I'd check out the line at your local UPS before signing up for Will Call.

Back in the day when I was first building up my business I had to use UPS Will Call and it was a pain. The time spent driving to and from their office plus the time waiting in line ate up up to half an hour and that was only because the UPS center was just off of my route to work.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869344 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/6/2012 4:23 PM
But often if you fail to respond in a few days, package gets returned to sender.

That's true and this time of year you'll find the line at Will Call not worth waiting in, but you have to or risk losing the package.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869345 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/6/2012 4:31 PM
Most people are working during the day. A package left on my doorstep would have been very visible from the street.

People could put large empty cardboard boxes on their porches with a sign (hidden inside the box) telling deliverymen to put the packages in it) so no one can see packages from the street.

Except for Christmas time that would be way too much for most people unless they get packages almost daily.

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869347 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/6/2012 6:56 PM
Recommendations: 2
Thieves,

Feel free to steal my box. Enjoy the case of diapers. Expensive stuff goes to my work.

Lara Amber

Author: Brooklyn1948 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869348 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/6/2012 8:14 PM
People could put large empty cardboard boxes on their porches with a sign (hidden inside the box) telling deliverymen to put the packages in it) so no one can see packages from the street.

I lived in a 1950's ranch style house and there was no front porch.
I live in an apartment building now and the doorman logs in all the packages and I have yet to miss one. Will be retiring in a few months to a small house in a small New England town and as a retiree would most likely be home to accept packages.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869349 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/6/2012 8:43 PM
I lived in a 1950's ranch style house and there was no front porch. etc.

You're not the only one reading these posts. ;-)

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869356 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/7/2012 10:22 AM
Unless it USPS, it is possible to track package delivery online. I live close enough to work that I track high value packages, and go home once they are delivered.

I was surprised that 3 laptop were left on my doorstep. No signature was required, and it was raining.

Most packages are small and of limited value. UPS, USPS and Ontrack all put small packages between the door and the screen door. Most of the time they ring the doorbell. If it is after dark they are less likely to ring or knock. Now that we are on standard time and Christmas is approaching, more deliveries are after dark.

Author: MetroChick Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869358 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/7/2012 10:51 AM
I got used to city non-doorman apartments in my 20's, so I would just have packages delivered to my work address. Most of what I was ordering was small - it can become an issue if whatever you're ordering can't fit on public transit or your car (if you drive to work).

But UPS/Fed X doesn't always ring the bell/knock. I was home all day waiting for the iPhone 5 and saw the Fed X guy in my parking lot. I went outside to meet him - but he was delivering to my nextdoor neighbors. Went back inside thinking he'd knock on my door next, and after about 10 mintues saw his truck drive away. An hour later I checked my "track it" email and saw it was now showing as "Delivered" and thought maybe they'd accidentally delivered my phone to my neighbor's house. Finally had the idea to check outside, and when I opened my door again I saw the box sitting on my front stoop - the deliveryman just hadn't bothered to knock on my door.

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869359 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/7/2012 12:53 PM
I don't know how it is now or "there" but I'd check out the line at your local UPS before signing up for Will Call.

Dave - you might want to re-read my post about the service. You don't sign up for "Will Call". You sign up for "My Choice". "My Choice" does not mandate every one of one's packages to now be held at the UPS office. One has the *choice* to pick and choose. If you want. Or not.

Back in the day when I was first building up my business I had to use UPS Will Call and it was a pain. The time spent driving to and from their office plus the time waiting in line ate up up to half an hour and that was only because the UPS center was just off of my route to work.

In our case, we are semi-rural in the Eastern US. There are hardy any lines (does 1 person count?). The UPS office is 15 minutes away & is on the route to other stores/places/errands that I can coordinate. That makes accounting for drive time null. Perhaps like the Post Office, the quality of the location, staffing and their training could vary from location to location.

But even without discounting drive time, if one is expecting a valuable delivery, it's nice to know one has the option of this service rather than letting it sit in front of the house for days if one is away.

YMMV.

Laura

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869361 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/7/2012 1:19 PM
But even without discounting drive time, if one is expecting a valuable delivery, it's nice to know one has the option of this service rather than letting it sit in front of the house for days if one is away.

They will only hold a package for a few days. If a delivery occurs while you are on vacation, a different option is needed.

We had a problem with delivery of one package. A signature was required. My husband tried to pick it up (I don't remember if it was FedEx or UPS). We had just moved. His driver's license didn't have our current address, and the package was to me. He could not pick up the package. The simpliest solution was to wait for redelivery the next day. They don't ask for identification if you are in the house.

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869366 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/7/2012 2:54 PM
It would help if their temp holiday drivers delivered packages to the correct house. I guess the one way roads are too much for them to handle, so they just drop packages at the closest sounding street and run.

We're on ## PLACE. The next road north of us is ## STREET. Twice in the last month, I've had my packages delivered to the neighbor, because the holiday help can't be bothered to read the street sign 10 yards from her front door.

My SIL had the opposite problem. She got packages intended for her neighbor one street over. (She lives around the corner from us.)

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869367 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/7/2012 2:55 PM
have functional doorbells.

That reminds me I need to add "door bell button" to the Ace list.

Author: LQu Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 869380 of 885493
Subject: Re: OT Tailing UPS Truck, Stealing Holiday Packa Date: 12/8/2012 2:11 PM
They will only hold a package for a few days. If a delivery occurs while you are on vacation, a different option is needed.

AFA the My Choice I was referencing, they will hold the package for 5 business days. Signing up for the service doesn't make all your packages go to "Will Call" (pick it up in person) status, only the ones that you specifically revise via its tracking number. If you are going to be on vacation, you wouldn't specify to have them hold that package :).

You also have the option to divert to a different address...a relative, etc. There might be a $5 fee for that, IIRC.

Laura

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement