UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: charliebonds Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35343  
Subject: OT: Thank You Date: 5/7/2010 11:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
My thanks to whomever reported an offensive reply to my post on Bonds Now!, a book I think is worth reading and discussing. I didn’t read the post, because I put that person on my Ignore list, just as I put any person on my Ignore list who shows a persistent intention to misunderstand me. Nor, actually, do I know that the post was offensive. But I have to assume so, because it was there yesterday, and it isn’t there today.

If you have an honest disagreement with me that you think you can support with facts, then critique whatever point about bond investing I might be trying to make. But don’t attack me personally. It serves no useful purpose.

Also, I make no attempt to hide how I approach bond investing, which is as a Ben Graham-style, value-investor who buys across the yield-curve and up and down the credit spectrum. That is an approach that he calls “Enterprising”, as opposed to “Defensive”, or “Speculative. That’s not an approach that appeals to the needs or abilities of everyone. But there are some investors/posters in this forum who do use such an approach, and far more broadly and effectively than I do. I just happen to be more willing to talk about it. So my comments provoke a lot of criticism.

I have made this appeal before, and I see that I need to make it again. If you don’t like what I say, then don’t read what I say.

Also, if you want to read articles about certain topics of bond and fixed-income investing that don’t seem to get much attention in this forum, then exercise a bit of initiative and write one of those articles yourself. If you get a response, well and good. If you don’t, then also well and good, because the person who benefited most from the article will be the person who wrote it. By taking the initiative, you clarified your thoughts on the matter, and you moved one more step toward increasing your understanding.

The conversation that happens in this forum will only be as worthwhile as its members choose to make it through active, thoughtful participation. The opportunity is yours. Use it wisely.

Charlie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: brewer12345 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30776 of 35343
Subject: Re: OT: Thank You Date: 5/7/2010 12:34 PM
Recommendations: 2
Your post on the book is apparently spam. I suggest you stop spamming us.

Author: brucedoe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30787 of 35343
Subject: Re: OT: Thank You Date: 5/9/2010 3:30 PM
Recommendations: 1
Charlie

Also, if you want to read articles about certain topics of bond and fixed-income investing that don’t seem to get much attention in this forum, then exercise a bit of initiative and write one of those articles yourself. If you get a response, well and good. If you don’t, then also well and good, because the person who benefited most from the article will be the person who wrote it. By taking the initiative, you clarified your thoughts on the matter, and you moved one more step toward increasing your understanding.

Hear, hear! I was a research scientist during most of my career, and I can guarantee you the truth of your statement. I early recognized that I really didn't know what the experimental data meant until I tried to write down the interpretation. Often I had thought I understood the data, but, upon trying to write it down, I found I didn't.

brucedoe

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement