UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 726137  
Subject: OT: thanks, reb Date: 12/11/2004 3:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
** Please, CC. Do not respond with stuff about alternative therapies, I beg you.**

I found out this morning that one of my closest rehabber friend's daughter (27) has been diagnosed with stage II lymphoma (this is a conditional diagnosis - they still have to do a biopsy). I went back through reb's posts about his ordeal. What I found was both helpful and encouraging. My poor friend is overwhelmed at the moment, but I have copied bits of reb's posts to share when the time seems appropriate. I think the first one I'm going to share is that everyone, including fathers and husbands, need to let the anger go, for the patient's sake.

Anyhoo, I have told my friend that reb has been running around snowboarding and living it up in Thailand just a year later. That sort of news is bound to help some.

As reb said in one of his posts, if this were 40 years ago, the poor woman would be down for the count. But for this particular cancer there have been amazing strides.

Anyway, thanks reb, for giving us hope.

arrete - "There is always hope" Aragorn at Helm's Deep, Two Towers
Print the post Back To Top
Author: MaryGoodnight Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 205235 of 726137
Subject: Re: OT: thanks, reb Date: 12/11/2004 3:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2

arrete,

So sorry to hear this news. I'm sending you positive vibes and best wishes for her recovery.

2004 has been a year of watching loved ones peer over the brink and yet come make it back from the journey - so there is definitely hope. I've seen it with my own eyes.

reb is so encouraging to all of us, so hang in there and you're in my thoughts.

MG

Author: retireearlyboi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 206682 of 726137
Subject: Re: OT: thanks, reb Date: 12/20/2004 7:37 AM
Recommendations: 10
Dear Arrette:

I don't know what made me look at the newsgroup tonight. I am in my hotel room in Bangkok. I read what you wrote and I started crying. I am humbled and flattered by what you wrote. I am so happy that someone could feel those positive feelings for me. I am quite sure God intervened to show me your post this evening.

In any case, please tell your friend that I once read something that a Cancer patient wrote: That "we Cancer patients are the lucky ones in this life." I did not understand that at first. But now I do. For me it means every time you open your eyes you Thank God for this precious day that you have been given. You appreciate the time that you are here. It means not letting the little stuff get you down. It may mean something else for her, with time.

Your friend is in for a tough time no doubt about it, but the important thing for her is: do not despair! There are survivors everywhere out there. Statistics mean nothing, but, 80% of all Lymphoma patients are walking around 5 years after the diagnosis. That's out of everyone: including the elderly and the sick. She's young, and she is Stage II (multiple nodes yet confined to above or below the diaphram). Both really good things. I am hoping she is in good health to start with. Even if she has a treatable, yet incurable Lymphoma (for example, one of the indolent Lymphomas), she needs to stay alive: there are new cures and treatments coming on line every day. The biopsy is going to tell a lot because there are, by one classification 24 (I think) some odd lymphomas, including the Hodkin's Lymphomas. If it's Hodgkin's, tell her to breathe a little sigh of relief: The four Hodkin's Lymphomas are curable. (I did not have Hodgkins)

I am ALWAYS available to your friend. Just let me know when/if your friend would like to be contacted and I will do so. Also pass along my email address: which should be the return email for this message.

Please tell your friend I dove 26 tanks of air over 9 days off the coast of Burma last week and saw some of the most amazing animals you can imagine. Tell her I ran the Dublin Marathon in October with a cool breeze and the sun on my face. At this time of year last year I was checking in and out of the infusion clinic, my hair was falling out in my plate at my sister's Christmas Eve dinner, and I truly thought I would die. I'm no Lance, but she can have hope also.

She is in the thoughts and prayers of me and my family this Christmas season. Please let me know how I can help.

-reb

Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 206683 of 726137
Subject: Re: OT: thanks, reb Date: 12/20/2004 7:47 AM
Recommendations: 0
I am quite sure God intervened to show me your post this evening.

REB, is everything OK? Is there a reason why you feel God would have needed to show you arrete's post now rather than another day?

Your vacation sounds great. I hope you are doing well.

IP

Author: retireearlyboi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 206685 of 726137
Subject: Re: OT: thanks, reb Date: 12/20/2004 7:52 AM
No it's just that I happened to glance at the board. I think I had over a thousand unread posts, but my eye trained on that one. I think maybe Arette's friend might need another Lyphoma patient and I think there was a "coincidence" at work there that made me see the post, and will put me in touch with her.

Vacation was GREAT. I am still on it. I don't get back to the offcie until after the New Year.

-reb

Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 206688 of 726137
Subject: Re: OT: thanks, reb Date: 12/20/2004 7:55 AM
You've already been a tremendous help, reb. I know they family is overloaded with information right now, so I try to just drop a reb pearl here and there. The patient has always be in good physical shape - very athletic, and that can only help.

They find out the results of the biopsy this week. The PET scan showed only one affected node. If the spleen isn't involved, she'll be back to Stage 1, which means radiation only - no chemo. Anyway, I think emotionally everyone is doing well as expected. After being very stoic, the patient finally broke down and cried for 2 hours in the middle of the night, which is good. It is so hard at that age - just when you are making it on your own, to suddenly have to depend on other people so much. A hard lesson, but a useful one.

Thanks for your offer of contact. If the time is right, I will pass on the offer. If she could find someone locally, that would be best. And I've seen your picture - not sure her new husband would approve <g>.

Thanks again.

arrete

Author: retireearlyboi Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 206689 of 726137
Subject: Re: OT: thanks, reb Date: 12/20/2004 8:02 AM
Recommendations: 1
>>>>>
They find out the results of the biopsy this week. The PET scan showed only one affected node. If the spleen isn't involved, she'll be back to Stage 1, which means radiation only - no chemo.
>>>>>

Hi Arette:

That's amazing news. They almost NEVER catch it that early as I understand it. Treating lymphoma with radiation is a rarity, since that will only occur if it is confined to a single node. Again, very rare indeed. I think the spleen would have lit up like a Christmas tree on the PET if it had progressed that far, so I am betting that she's going to get away with radiation. A very lucky girl.

Flattered by your comments and here if you need me.

-reb

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement