Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JohnGalt79 One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 212360  
Subject: OT - The Secret Debate Contract, & Howard Date: 10/9/2012 10:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
This is OT, but interesting if you care about the integrity of the presidential debates and their role in the democratic process. (I had no idea about the history of this, and the attached video was eye-opening).

The only reason I'm posting it here is because I was surprised to learn that the Howard Buffett Foundation is one of only 7 sponsors of the Commission of Presidential Debates, and Howard is on the Board of Directors as well.

I'd appreciate hearing any additional insight.... especially if something in the video is inaccurate. I personally don't love seeing a Buffett connection here, but the high-level political influence seems to be a growing theme... and maybe is just the way business is done now-a-days.

http://libertyblitzkrieg.com/2012/10/05/the-secret-debate-co...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: razorfangius Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 194787 of 212360
Subject: Re: OT - The Secret Debate Contract, & Howard Date: 10/9/2012 11:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
It's like a disease ...

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/10/06/4886415/molly-mungers-tax-c...

Why don't these princesses and princelings do something useful with their lives (or just go away and be quiet if they can't do that) and stop climbing on soapboxes and harassing people who have to work for a living?

This woman donated $30 million of her own money (and presumably she has plenty left over) to try to raise the state income tax. The increases will start on people making $17k a year. Where is Buffett's secretary when you need her? All this to kiss up to the teachers' union ...

Author: rationalwalk Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 194791 of 212360
Subject: Re: OT - The Secret Debate Contract, & Howard Date: 10/10/2012 6:49 AM
Recommendations: 4
I'm not sure that it follows that someone who has inherited wealth somehow has a duty to remain silent on political issues. BTW, Charlie's son is a Republican and also politically active in California, including in this election cycle. And of course Charlie himself is a Republican. So what if his daughter supports left wing causes with her own money?

Personally I'm just glad to be a former California resident. That's one great thing about America... Anyone can vote with his feet if any particular state proves intolerable.

Author: hclasvegas Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 194793 of 212360
Subject: Re: OT - The Secret Debate Contract, & Howard Date: 10/10/2012 7:09 AM
Recommendations: 0
in defense of becky and the jokers of cnbc they may have the same type agreement with buffett. They cant go all these years of 3 hour interviews without asking a substantive question, no way.

Author: AdrianC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 194806 of 212360
Subject: Re: OT - The Secret Debate Contract, & Howard Date: 10/10/2012 1:21 PM
Recommendations: 1
Personally I'm just glad to be a former California resident. That's one great thing about America... Anyone can vote with his feet if any particular state proves intolerable.

That's good! I'm also ex-California, and got out just in time, too. We like to visit, don't want to live there.

Author: chk999 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 194808 of 212360
Subject: Re: OT - The Secret Debate Contract, & Howard Date: 10/10/2012 2:12 PM
Recommendations: 0
Personally I'm just glad to be a former California resident.

Me three. I love the weather, but I don't love the taxes or politics.

Author: razorfangius Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 194809 of 212360
Subject: Re: OT - The Secret Debate Contract, & Howard Date: 10/10/2012 2:25 PM
Recommendations: 2
So what if his daughter supports left wing causes with her own money?

People have every right to do something stupid with their own money. That doesn't mean it isn't stupid. Even people on her side of the fence are saying "she's being stupid financing it herself, because you don't build a movement that way and it puts 100% focus on her [the limousine liberal]".

As for left versus right, who cares? Charlie Jr. is supposedly throwing in another 20 million to back sis up. They're going to buy this election no matter what it takes! Hurray for the Mungers!

Her number one critic by the way is Jerry Brown, who has a competing initiative on the ballot that does more or less the same thing but is only receiving 10% of the financing. By having two on the ballot, politicos say both are likely to fail because people will split their vote. So not only is the underlying initiative questionable, but the financing strategy is poor, and the political strategy is also poor!

But by all means, if she wants to put daddy's money in a pile and set fire to it, she can go right ahead.

Author: rationalwalk Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 194815 of 212360
Subject: Re: OT - The Secret Debate Contract, & Howard Date: 10/11/2012 9:35 AM
Recommendations: 1
People have every right to do something stupid with their own money. That doesn't mean it isn't stupid.

I wasn't saying that I agree with what she is doing, only that there is nothing wrong with her participation in politics. CA is so screwed up that I hardly even pay attention to its politics anymore. Both the Presidential and Senate races are jokes ... It is a one party state held up by the success of Silicon Valley and Hollywood with annual budgets at the mercy of capital gains realizations by the elite... explaining why Gov. Brown's budget is in trouble due to Facebook's stock swoon. A crazy way to run a state. But it's not my problem anymore... I've just passed ten years of being a former CA resident and haven't even set foot in the state in four years.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement