UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: xxannxx Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308232  
Subject: OT update and non-OT advice Date: 1/6/2003 10:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Hello everyone,
First of all, many heartfelt thanks to everyone for your good wishes when I posted about my sister's heart attack. She has made incredible strides in the past 32 days. The biggest problem right now is that the brain damage seems to be concetrated in the hippocampus, which is the memory center of the brain. While her long-term memory seems to be mostly intact, she has very little short-term memory. She rarely remembers what happened a couple of hours ago, and sometimes can't even remember 10 minutes ago. But she's getting better and better, stronger and stronger every day, and we're very hopeful that she'll make a good (although maybe not 100%) recovery. As soon as she's able to go without 24-hour supervision, it looks like I'll be bringing her home with me. And then we'll go from there.

And now to the "not-OT" part.

My sister declared bankruptcy last year (which is really too bad; her debt was definitely manageable, but, oh well). Directly after her hospitalization, I phoned her BK attorney and he told me he'd suspend her payments for 3 months to give her/me some time to get on top of things. He then talked about converting to Chapter 7, possibly, at that time.

Of course I received a notice yesterday telling me that she was about to be declared in default, and I now need to chase her attorney, but putting that aside...

I'll need to deal with the BK at some point, but right now I'm wondering about the "regular" bills that she owes on. Should I just pay them? It's not an insignificant amount of money (somewhere between $800-900; I'm still finding bills here and there.)

I've already laid out $1000+ to get her vehicles out of towing storage, pack, move and store the stuff in her apartment, fly my mother out, pay for hotels, etc., etc. Fortunately, I had enough cash to cover this. And I could find enough cash to pay her non-BK outstanding bills.

But should I? It means I'm that much further away from being out of debt myself ($47K-ish) and getting my efund fully funded. I'm really torn on this one.

I haven't yet called any of her creditors (some of these accounts have already gone to collections; she was getting in deep again long before this; sigh). If I decide to see what happens if I call them, any tips? I think I've read here that I should just skip the collection agencies and speak directly with the companies she owes. Is this true, or is my own memory faulty, too? :)

I appreciate any thoughts/opinions you may have...
ann

ps CONGRATULATIONS to everyone on the year-end updates! I've had to quickly browse through most postings I've missed, but I always read all of the updates. So inspiring!! I'm looking forward to posting mine when I have a chance to come up for breath...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement