UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: inparadise Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 726226  
Subject: OT: Whine anyone? Date: 3/29/2001 8:00 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 14
They say that the end of the Bear Market is just around the corner when doom and gloom is all around. If that is the case, then the end must be near. I've been rather upbeat up till now, in part because I still had some cash to invest and didn't mind seeing the prices drop further to buy me more shares. OK, so call me selfish. <grin> But within the last week I've had lots of buyers remorse. Our net worth is down to the level at which it was about 5 years ago.

Now intellectually I know that there is a high probability that this is a temporary thing, and by next year I may very well be dancing in the aisles again, though much more cautiously this time! I also know that we are very well poised to ride out the storm and have no need to be concerned. Not only does my DH have a good job, but it is at a company that is doing well and has a hard time keeping enough decent employees due to it's location. Not everyone finds this to be Paradise on a long term basis. Addtionally, I am poised to re-enter the workforce, if at about half my previous pay, doing something that should help us achieve our definition of ER earlier in more ways than monetarily. There are plenty of openings on island in my field. So why the whine you ask?

I guess in part I am mourning the death of an illusion. My husband, being somewhat older, more degreed and more experienced than I, has always made much more money than I. In part for this reason, we agreed that I would stay home with the boys and in my "spare time" invest the money he made. For about a year the returns on my investments were about 5 times more money than his paycheck. Now we have lost all that and more, including my superwoman alter ego. Having been raised by two working parents, I've always had some guilt at staying home with the boys, though with the exception of my MIL, I was never made to feel that way. It was a lot easier to justify when I was making such good money from my computer.

The end of the quarter approaches and it is time for my quarterly summation of our positions. The only dim satisfaction is that the mutual funds we hold are also in the toilet, thus I'm not the only one who sucks at this game.

They say "Pride goeth before a fall." Well Mr. Market, I'm down. You can stop body slamming me and let me up for a little air.

Thanks for the ear.

InParadise
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement