UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: auctionnoodle Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 885542  
Subject: OT: Why lawn mower starts and then stops? Date: 6/17/2008 1:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Can anyone give me advice on why everytime i start my mower, it immediately shuts off? I cleaned the air filter, but that it so far. I just am trying to determine if it's something that simple or if i need to take it in for repair. It's a 5 year old Craftsman (self propelled) and I don't want to put much money into it.

-Noodle
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ImAGolfer Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 801718 of 885542
Subject: Re: OT: Why lawn mower starts and then stops? Date: 6/17/2008 2:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Can anyone give me advice on why everytime i start my mower, it immediately shuts off?

Not trying to be a smart-ass but is there a chance you have run out of gas?

Author: sandytravis Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 801719 of 885542
Subject: Re: OT: Why lawn mower starts and then stops? Date: 6/17/2008 2:32 PM
Can anyone give me advice on why everytime i start my mower, it immediately shuts off?

Not trying to be a smart-ass but is there a chance you have run out of gas

You may have gas in the tank, but it may be that not enough of it is making it to the engine. I used to have a self-propelled Craftsman that had a fuel filter. When it clogged the engine wouldn't run for more than a few seconds.

It also got really cranky when the spark plug needed replacing, but that happened more often when the engine was hot.
sandytravis

Author: auctionnoodle Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 801725 of 885542
Subject: Re: OT: Why lawn mower starts and then stops? Date: 6/17/2008 3:04 PM
Not trying to be a smart-ass but is there a chance you have run out of gas?

<grin> my husband asked me the same thing! Geez, what do you people think of me?

-Noodle

Author: iPodder Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 801726 of 885542
Subject: Re: OT: Why lawn mower starts and then stops? Date: 6/17/2008 3:11 PM
Recommendations: 3
'Noodle, is this by any chance last season's gas?

A lot of people don't know or understand that gasoline can change as it sits and evaporates and concentrates.

My dad about wore himself and his snowblower out one year, yanking on the cord again and again. He'd filled the tank up to full before hanging it on the wall of the garage, but the constant heat/cold cycles over however many weeks and months it was finally turned the gasoline into something more closely resembling varnish.

If it has been stored for a long time, you may want to check into the quality, as well as the quantity of your gas.

Author: Ringfinger Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 801730 of 885542
Subject: Re: OT: Why lawn mower starts and then stops? Date: 6/17/2008 3:58 PM
Needs more air. Carb adjustment (even though most will warn you not to). You have an idle adjustment and a high speed adjustment. Look in the manual, it will work.

Author: FBCinvestor Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 801734 of 885542
Subject: Re: OT: Why lawn mower starts and then stops? Date: 6/17/2008 4:16 PM
Some newer mowers have a valve that shuts off the fuel line. If yours has this feature and the valve is closed, you won't be able to run more than a few seconds. The first time I stored my mower for the winter season, I forgot about that valve and could not figure out why I could not get it to start again.

Author: ROTJob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 801737 of 885542
Subject: Re: OT: Why lawn mower starts and then stops? Date: 6/17/2008 4:20 PM
Recommendations: 2
Can anyone give me advice on why everytime i start my mower, it immediately shuts off? I cleaned the air filter, but that it so far. I just am trying to determine if it's something that simple or if i need to take it in for repair. It's a 5 year old Craftsman (self propelled) and I don't want to put much money into it.

It is God punishing you for your sinful ways. Had you led a life of righteousness like me, you would be mowing in bliss right now. Instead, the sound of silence is deafening in your yard, as is the deafening silence of a life that is not full of The Lord.

RJ - good Christian

PS, I will pray for you and your mower

Author: BigKahoona Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 801738 of 885542
Subject: Re: OT: Why lawn mower starts and then stops? Date: 6/17/2008 4:25 PM
Recommendations: 7
It is God punishing you for your sinful ways.

It should have been Bill O'Reilly

Author: ROTJob Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 801740 of 885542
Subject: Re: OT: Why lawn mower starts and then stops? Date: 6/17/2008 4:59 PM
Recommendations: 3

He's dead to me.

Author: BigKahoona Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 801744 of 885542
Subject: Re: OT: Why lawn mower starts and then stops? Date: 6/17/2008 5:55 PM

He's dead to me.

I'm serious as a heart attack.

Author: peplow Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 801869 of 885542
Subject: Re: OT: Why lawn mower starts and then stops? Date: 6/18/2008 6:06 PM
Recommendations: 1
Geez, what do you people think of me?......................................

We don't think anything, but you wouldn't be the first person to start doing major mechanical work on an engine while forgetting to check the gas.

Pete

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 801872 of 885542
Subject: Re: OT: Why lawn mower starts and then stops? Date: 6/18/2008 6:21 PM
<grin> my husband asked me the same thing! Geez, what do you people think of me?

On my mower, it seems the gasoline intake isn't right at the bottom of the tank.

So sometimes I'm "out of gas" even though I can clearly see gas in the tank. So I add some more and that solves the problem. (This really confused me the first time it happened.)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement