UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Booa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308230  
Subject: OT:Good Day for Geeks! Date: 11/12/2002 8:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I am totally behind the boards yet again, but I just wanted to point out what a lovely day today is for geeks, nerds, etc! LOTR:Extended version and Episode II are both out on video and DVD today! There will be an LOTR viewing tonight at my house. Woo-hoo!

--Booa
Print the post Back To Top
Author: exeter17 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145032 of 308230
Subject: Re: OT:Good Day for Geeks! Date: 11/12/2002 8:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I need directions =)

Author: rah1420 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145039 of 308230
Subject: Re: OT:Good Day for Geeks! Date: 11/13/2002 6:55 AM
So why did I find out about the extended version of LoTR by watching the one that I had just purchased?

Tanj.

Author: Wolfshead56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145044 of 308230
Subject: Re: OT:Good Day for Geeks! Date: 11/13/2002 8:35 AM
Recommendations: 1
Just waiting for my copy of LOTR; extended version to arrive. Have had it on order for months and it was a trial bypassing the regular version, which I could have had back in Sept, to get the long one. Wouldn't you know it, most of the DVDs I have preordered have arrived the day before their official release date yet this one, which I have been really been waiting for is already one day behind. My typical luck. Oh well, taking daughter to see the next Harry Potter next weekend and next installment of LOTR due out in a couple of weeks so my movie watching schedule will be pretty full for awhile.

herb

sf and fantasy geek for 40 years

Author: zigmund555 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145046 of 308230
Subject: Re: OT:Good Day for Geeks! Date: 11/13/2002 8:52 AM
Why did they release 2 versions of the LOTR.. crafty marketing I guess.

I think a lot of people bought the 2-disc version without doing the research the find out there was a 4-disc version coming out later.

I usually consider myself "in-the-know", but I wouldn't have known if I hadn't heard it from someone.

We'll have to be careful next summer when they release The Two Towers on DVD.

Please also keep in mind that there are plans (and just plans anyway) to release all 3 as a boxed set once the movies are out.. probably 2005.

Author: Wolfshead56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145048 of 308230
Subject: Re: OT:Good Day for Geeks! Date: 11/13/2002 9:03 AM
I only caught on to the extended version because I was preordering online rather than just waiting and going to a store after the first version came out. While browsing the coming selections I noticed that in addition to the regular release that there was going to be an extended release in November. If I hadn't done it that way I would have been SOL so now efore I do any CD buying even if I plan to hit the local store I go to DVD Planet and look over the coming attractions to make sure there isn't a different version coming out later. I got burned on ID4 when it first came out on tape. Everywhere I looked it was only in fullscreen version and when I asked I was told that was it, there were no plans to release a widescreen so I bought the fullscreen. A few months later, there is the widescreen version (this was when releasing in widescreen was a new experiment). So now I have 3 versions of ID4, widescreen tape, fullscreen tape and DVD, 4 if you count the fact the DVD has both widescreen and fullscreen versions on it. Hate buying more copys than I need <G>

BTW, I do like the way some companies are putting both the widescreen and fullscreen versions on the same disk. I prefer widescreen but some members of the family hate the black bands so this way one copy keeps everyone happy. So far I know both IDE4 and Shrek have done this. Hope others do the same.

herb

Author: frissy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145055 of 308230
Subject: Re: OT:Good Day for Geeks! Date: 11/13/2002 10:08 AM
I thought you were going to say that they had planned more TNG Movies!

Bah!

Author: Fallout2Queen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145057 of 308230
Subject: Re: OT:Good Day for Geeks! Date: 11/13/2002 10:19 AM
I thought you were going to say that they had planned more TNG Movies!

Star Trek: Nemesis will open in December
http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808406055

Author: frissy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145058 of 308230
Subject: Re: OT:Good Day for Geeks! Date: 11/13/2002 10:46 AM
I know about that one, I thought it was the last of the TNG movies, though...

Author: Booa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145202 of 308230
Subject: Re: OT:Good Day for Geeks! Date: 11/14/2002 9:58 PM
Hee, come over anytime, we're always up for watching it. :-)

I was starting to talk in a slight English accent after viewing, let me see, some 12 hours of LOTR related DVD stuff in two days. :-)

I can't wait 'til Two Towers comes out...Harry Potter II will have to tide me over, I guess...

--Booa (whose son is stalking around the house whispering, "Shire...Baggins...")

Author: Booa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145203 of 308230
Subject: Re: OT:Good Day for Geeks! Date: 11/14/2002 10:10 PM
So why did I find out about the extended version of LoTR by watching the one that I had just purchased?

Tanj.

Yeah, I was not happy about the two versions thing initially, but this extended version thingie is four CDs, and the first one was two CDs, and there's enough extra stuff that I feel like, okay, it was worth getting the extended version one. We knew about the two versions because my husband reads newsgroups where people talk about this stuff ALL the time, and I hadn't let him buy the first one because we were waiting for the second one. Then my sister-in-law gave him the first version for a birthday present (my precious....) and then he had to talk me into ponying up the money for the second one.

And, FWIW, there isn't a lot of overlap (none, so far as I can tell -- we still haven't watched *all* the extras for the extended version) in the extras between the two versions, and the extended version doesn't have the original version in it, so...I would judge that it's worth it, though it's better if you can talk someone into giving you one of the versions (or both) as a present. :-)

--Booa (didn't let her husband buy the extended version with the bookends and the toys included)

Author: Booa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145206 of 308230
Subject: Re: OT:Good Day for Geeks! Date: 11/14/2002 10:16 PM
Heh, sorry frissy.

I have a good friend that, instead of using junior, uses TNG. Cracks me up when he has to explain it to people...

--Booa

Author: Wolfshead56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145223 of 308230
Subject: Re: OT:Good Day for Geeks! Date: 11/15/2002 8:21 AM
Don't know about the first version but my copy of the second version came with voucher for free ticket to the next installment so that saved me about $8-10 right there. Made it worth waiting for.

herb

Author: Wolfshead56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145224 of 308230
Subject: Re: OT:Good Day for Geeks! Date: 11/15/2002 8:26 AM
That's a good one Booa. Myself, having got my start in mythology before Sf and fantasy started using herb the younger to distinguish myself from my father. At one time it was big Herb and little herb among the family but once I went over 6 ft and 200 lbs my 5'8" father started asking folks who they meant by big herb <G>

herb

Author: Booa Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145286 of 308230
Subject: Re: OT:Good Day for Geeks! Date: 11/15/2002 4:25 PM
Ooh, I like herb the younger. My son doesn't share his name with anyone in the family, but we called him "Sean Og" (young Sean) anyway. When we weren't calling him "Seanie Pupstarino" or "Sean the Penguin King."

We got one of the free movie passes to see the next installment, too. And the whole thing was $26 at Target, so it came out not much more than the average DVD. Though my husband chastised me for bring this all up on this board, he said it was unfair to tempt people to use their cards to buy the DVD when we're all here trying to control our spending. :-)

--Booa

Author: peteyperson Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145337 of 308230
Subject: Re: OT:Good Day for Geeks! Date: 11/16/2002 11:07 PM
I am in two minds about this kind of thing. I wonder about the ppl who went out and bought the original DVD for Lord of the Rings and now discover that there is one better. Whilst it is a great thing to have something better out there, I would find that intensely annoying. It would almost make you want to hold back a year on purchases to see is the movie studios pull this kind of **** on your fave movie.

Thoughts?

Petey

I am totally behind the boards yet again, but I just wanted to point out what a lovely day today is for geeks, nerds, etc! LOTR:Extended version and Episode II are both out on video and DVD today! There will be an LOTR viewing tonight at my house. Woo-hoo!

--Booa

Author: jclucas Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145349 of 308230
Subject: Re: OT:Good Day for Geeks! Date: 11/17/2002 2:09 PM
I am in two minds about this kind of thing. I wonder about the ppl who went out and bought the original DVD for Lord of the Rings and now discover that there is one better. Whilst it is a great thing to have something better out there, I would find that intensely annoying. It would almost make you want to hold back a year on purchases to see is the movie studios pull this kind of **** on your fave movie.

It was well known to anyone paying any attention that there was going to be the extended version release in November after the August regular edition release. In this case it was documented so i don't mind that they did it this way at all. Now if it was a bait and switch where it wasn't known the release schedule then i'd be more upset.

Joe

Author: peteyperson Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145353 of 308230
Subject: Re: OT:Good Day for Geeks! Date: 11/17/2002 3:42 PM
Where was it well known? How was it made well known?

Petey

It was well known to anyone paying any attention that there was going to be the extended version release in November after the August regular edition release. In this case it was documented so i don't mind that they did it this way at all. Now if it was a bait and switch where it wasn't known the release schedule then i'd be more upset.

Joe

Author: jclucas Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145356 of 308230
Subject: Re: OT:Good Day for Geeks! Date: 11/17/2002 4:28 PM
It was announced by the studio in April 2002. Here is the press release:

http://lordoftherings.net/index_105_fi_news.html

Joe

Author: jclucas Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 145357 of 308230
Subject: Re: OT:Good Day for Geeks! Date: 11/17/2002 4:43 PM
Sorry .. that was the frame url. Here is the direct URL:

http://lordoftherings.net/film/news/ne_art2002_04_00.html

Joe

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement