UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BeaverMan Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76398  
Subject: Re: Opening IRA & Roth IRA Date: 12/4/1998 4:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Otherwise, you may wait until
4/15/99 to open an IRA, and sometimes later depending on extensions for filing.

I was looking for a concise answer to the "geez, do I need to get this initial Roth IRA investment done by the end of the year or can I put it off until sometime in April" question." Thanks for clearing it up.

I only made a deductible contribution to my traditional IRA once several years ago. Since that time, I haven't been able to make a non-deductible contribution. My determination on whether to contribute was always made when I crunched those tax forms and numbers after the first of the year and verified eligability.

But I got to thinking ......with a Roth IRA, there is no deductible contribution. I simply get to put $2K of after tax money in the account each year. Since it's not deductible, why not start the Roth IRA ASAP to take advantage of market gains. Of course, this assumes that I can find $2K to do it with.

I plan to set up a Roth for me and my wife ASAP. Before visiting this board, I surfed on over to vanguard.com and dowloaded the application. We'll invest our maximum before the year-end and again after the first of the year. Of course this requires consulting with my wonderful wife first!!!

In the Stanley & Danko book "The Millionaire Next Door", the authors point out that the affluent have more non-taxable assets than the rest of us. Some of this may be real estate or timberlands, but some of it is retirement money for sure. If that $2K is sitting in the bank or in a money market account or in my discount brokerage account, it seems that the best thing I can do is get it out of there where it is increasing my tax burden and move it to a Roth IRA.....well before I submit my 1998 tax return

Gosh, I wish I would have thought of this months ago.

Any thoughts...

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement